What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
31-01-2017, 03:32 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
Students who send me emails, and when come by, only say, "I sent you an email". Just, some specificity please, especially first week of a new semester. I reply to 20-50 emails per day the first two weeks of class in some form. Second FWP, which had me upset on student's behalf, our online report that lets them check what they need for all their requirements, broken down requirement by requirement is rather antiquated and needs replaced, and has an issue where it counts and doesn't count things necessarily. This woman's report was so fudged to Hell and back by the system that it took four tenured or tenure track faculty to make heads or tails of what she needed to graduate because we divided the work and started doing it all by hand, and it included transfer credits from a previous institution, transfer credits from summer classes with an articulation agreement with a community college, classes that double dipped for both her major and minor, but then due to major or minor requirements didn't really double dip, etc.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2017, 11:13 PM
The place that has homemade vegan cookie ice cream sandwiches is closed for the night Weeping Is there an unwritten law that you can break into these places without ramification when you're on your period? Unsure Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
06-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Auto-correct in Microsoft Word seems to think that some of the names parents gave their kids while trying to be unique, needs to be corrected to the normal spelling. So I have to type some names twice, once for itself, and once to fix the 'correction' by Word.

06-02-2017, 08:55 AM
(06-02-2017 08:32 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Auto-correct in Microsoft Word seems to think that some of the names parents gave their kids while trying to be unique, needs to be corrected to the normal spelling. So I have to type some names twice, once for itself, and once to fix the 'correction' by Word.

Just hit control-z when Word 'corrects' and it will be undone.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-02-2017, 09:44 AM
(06-02-2017 08:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 08:32 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Auto-correct in Microsoft Word seems to think that some of the names parents gave their kids while trying to be unique, needs to be corrected to the normal spelling. So I have to type some names twice, once for itself, and once to fix the 'correction' by Word.

Just hit control-z when Word 'corrects' and it will be undone.

I did not know that! My beef with MS is that the dictionary is so limited. Every time I got a new PC I had to rebuild the dictionary, when I worked in the RF field. "Propagation" for one, wasn't in there. Also, I turn the grammar checker off, first thing. It seemed to never get the subject-verb agreement correct.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-02-2017, 09:50 AM
I'm watching the rain pour down, and it's cold. Between the two conditions, I can't finish the paint on the truck's cab roof, and I have an appointment to get the new camper shell installed this Saturday. It's catalytic paint, so I only need a few hours of weather above 65° F to spray and let it cure. Hope I get it before Friday. I have to reinstall the windshield too. Come on winter, cooperate! Angry
06-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Thanks Chas! And ditto on what Fireball said about the dictionary. Sometimes I write cheesy fanfic or short fiction on the side, or when I'm working on an academic manuscript it can happen too, and every new computer it's done on, "add word" gets used a ton. Then it's like "my laptop isn't the same dictionary work desktop isn't the same dictionary as department laptop isn't the same as ____."

10-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Students make me feel old, one was complaining about his own FWP, "They capped our download speeds in the dorm at 30Mbps!"

My reply, I had 56k when I was a teen, and we didn't have internet in my public school until 3rd grade." Several students' eyes actually widened in a visible manner.

10-02-2017, 02:31 PM
It took three of us to wrestle the windshield into my truck. Sonofabitch, fucking gasket made in China! At least it's in without getting broken. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-02-2017, 02:33 PM
My latest first world problem?

I should have bought more beer for the weekend.