What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
09-03-2017, 10:08 AM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
Can't find my sunglasses.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 10:10 AM
(09-03-2017 10:06 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Got my income tax refund this morning, and of course I want to spend the razzafracking thing immediately, if not sooner. Came to my senses long enough to put some into savings and nuke a bill from high orbit, but now I'm conflicted: Cordless drill, a better flute, or those {redacted} living room drapes?

One can never go wrong with power tools.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
09-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Restless... It's driving me insane. Having random thoughts about how I just wanna get on my bike and head north until I see igloos, but I have to pick up the kids in a couple hours from daycare so I probably wouldn't be back in time.

'Murican Canadian
09-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, both wrists. Angry
09-03-2017, 02:09 PM
(09-03-2017 02:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, both wrists. Angry

Ow ow ow ow! Sadcryface2 If you have resting wrist splints to wear, put 'em on at bedtime and wear them every night to relieve the symptoms. At very least it'll buy some time till you can get surgery or steroid injections, and if it isn't too advanced you may even be able to reverse the condition a bit.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
09-03-2017, 04:52 PM
(09-03-2017 02:09 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 02:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, both wrists. Angry

Ow ow ow ow! Sadcryface2 If you have resting wrist splints to wear, put 'em on at bedtime and wear them every night to relieve the symptoms. At very least it'll buy some time till you can get surgery or steroid injections, and if it isn't too advanced you may even be able to reverse the condition a bit.

Thanks! I got one wrist brace already, and should get another. They only minimize the burning and pins & needles at night. I have a doctor's appointment this Monday. I was working on a wood carving this morning and had trouble generating the necessary force with the gouges. I'm a prime candidate for CTS- I work with my hands just about all day- wood working and carving, I fix my own vehicles, do construction and type on the computer. All are causes. Dodgy

I'd personally prefer to just have the ligament cut. We'll see. Even though I'm retired, I don't even want to spend the time to get it fixed, and the healing time. I'm a bad patient- impatient. Laughat
09-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Fireball, it's actually amazing that I don't have CTS. I've been typing professionally for almost 40 years, as well as doing a shitload of leisure-time typing working on novels and such, and when I'm not doing that, the odds are good I'm playing an instrument. About the only thing that saves my butt is that I am loathe to actually bend my wrists unless absolutely necessary -- At work I have an enormous wrist and forearm rest that I built out of a couple of foam dish drying mats.

If I do feel an ache starting in the forearms, there's an exercise I do: Palms together in a "prayer" position, forearms flat on the desk, facing each other in line with the hands. I then keep the wrists down but raise the elbows to stretch the insides of the wrists.

BTW, I spent some of my tax windfall on... pot. (Okay, *a* pot -- A fairly large high-quality stainless steel saucepan and lid, a big brother to a pot I already have.) Eliminated a first-world problem by subsequently giving away its predecessor, a thin steel pot with a slightly dented bottom. The old pot worked fine when I had a stove with coil elements, but on a glass-top stove it vibrates and dances around and rattles madly in a most disconcerting manner. Blink

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
09-03-2017, 10:46 PM
(09-03-2017 09:48 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Fireball, it's actually amazing that I don't have CTS. I've been typing professionally for almost 40 years, as well as doing a shitload of leisure-time typing working on novels and such, and when I'm not doing that, the odds are good I'm playing an instrument. About the only thing that saves my butt is that I am loathe to actually bend my wrists unless absolutely necessary -- At work I have an enormous wrist and forearm rest that I built out of a couple of foam dish drying mats.

If I do feel an ache starting in the forearms, there's an exercise I do: Palms together in a "prayer" position, forearms flat on the desk, facing each other in line with the hands. I then keep the wrists down but raise the elbows to stretch the insides of the wrists.

BTW, I spent some of my tax windfall on... pot. (Okay, *a* pot -- A fairly large high-quality stainless steel saucepan and lid, a big brother to a pot I already have.) Eliminated a first-world problem by subsequently giving away its predecessor, a thin steel pot with a slightly dented bottom. The old pot worked fine when I had a stove with coil elements, but on a glass-top stove it vibrates and dances around and rattles madly in a most disconcerting manner. Blink

Laugh out load What kind of eye of newt, etc., you boiling in that pot, that it bounces around on the stove? I don't get any kind of ache in the arms, but I do get jolts like one gets when one's "funny bone" gets nicked, when I work with the carving chisels, and so forth. In fact, it happens any time I pick something up and it takes a large amount of squeeze force. I can still lift barbells and dumb bells, though. The really annoying part of this is that each operation (if that happens) will take one arm out of commission for about 4 weeks. Like I said, I'm retired, but that hasn't affected my activity level. If anything, I have more to do now. I should be lying in a hammock somewhere in the Caribbean, but my nose is even closer to the grindstone. Dodgy

You "kids" on here (I'm 64), take care of your bodies. It's going to be the only one you get. Don't think you are immortal, like I used to think. I'm now paying the price. Dodgy
10-03-2017, 12:04 AM
Ah, wonky elbows... I have extremely loose joints (so much so that at the tender age of 59½ I can, without warming up, touch my palms to the floor and almost touch my elbows to the tops of my feet). Elbows actually hyper-extend a bit, and it's not uncommon for me to wake up with the 4th and 5th fingers tingling because the arm was too straight while I was sleeping.

I once got a bad overuse injury from some Xtreme Construction -- I had spent 3 hours in the basement one afternoon, banging lots of nails into 2x6's as I built a partition to close off the crawlspace from the main part of the basement. Gave myself golf elbow and tennis elbow in both arms -- I'm ambidextrous and was switching the hammer from one hand to the other as I got tired, so essentially I injured 4 different elbow tendons.

As for the decidedly odd behaviour of the pot, it usually happened when heating up water to make pasta or boil eggs. As near as I can figure out, as bubbles formed in the heating water it somehow threw the not-quite-flat pot off balance and made it rock erratically on the glass stovetop.

10-03-2017, 04:15 AM
(10-03-2017 12:04 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Ah, wonky elbows... I have extremely loose joints (so much so that at the tender age of 59½ I can, without warming up, touch my palms to the floor and almost touch my elbows to the tops of my feet). Elbows actually hyper-extend a bit, and it's not uncommon for me to wake up with the 4th and 5th fingers tingling because the arm was too straight while I was sleeping.

I once got a bad overuse injury from some Xtreme Construction -- I had spent 3 hours in the basement one afternoon, banging lots of nails into 2x6's as I built a partition to close off the crawlspace from the main part of the basement. Gave myself golf elbow and tennis elbow in both arms -- I'm ambidextrous and was switching the hammer from one hand to the other as I got tired, so essentially I injured 4 different elbow tendons.

As for the decidedly odd behaviour of the pot, it usually happened when heating up water to make pasta or boil eggs. As near as I can figure out, as bubbles formed in the heating water it somehow threw the not-quite-flat pot off balance and made it rock erratically on the glass stovetop.

Now I can only imagine your doctor walking in and saying "I am sorry to say this, but you have been diagnosed with wonky elbows."

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post