What is your latest first world problem ?

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.86 Average
26-02-2018, 03:39 PM
RE: What is your latest first world problem ?
Sorry for two in a row in the thread but, our office net is awful today. PBS gave me a message saying it was reducing quality to compensate to best allow for the streaming...and it dropped to 234p.

[Image: xMD3YX7.jpg]

[Image: q3ZNEPu.jpg]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2018, 05:22 PM
(26-02-2018 03:39 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sorry for two in a row in the thread but, our office net is awful today. PBS gave me a message saying it was reducing quality to compensate to best allow for the streaming...and it dropped to 234p.

Which pixel was Iran, and which was Saudi Arabia?Consider

Disappointing theists since 1968
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes A. Secular Human's post
27-02-2018, 07:30 AM
Daycare on strike. Again. Oh well. Guess I have to burn a day of "compassionate leave" to take the day off and bring my youngest to the swimming pool instead of going to work Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
27-02-2018, 12:55 PM
(26-02-2018 05:22 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  
(26-02-2018 03:39 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sorry for two in a row in the thread but, our office net is awful today. PBS gave me a message saying it was reducing quality to compensate to best allow for the streaming...and it dropped to 234p.

Which pixel was Iran, and which was Saudi Arabia?Consider

The world will never know on this connection. Sadcryface2 In all seriousness though, our internet at work has been rather...lackluster...since they "did an upgrade" of some sort. I'd be more specific, but that was the vague phrasing in the actual email warning us of a brief outage for it a few weeks ago, and nothing's worked well since.

28-02-2018, 04:06 AM
(25-02-2018 01:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-02-2018 08:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Mark 10:25, fucking Christian, the Gospel of Mark, Chapter Fucking 10 Motherfucking Verse 25. Drinking Beverage Stupid Christians.
I laughed immediately because I knew exactly the verse. But then Christianity has all the loopholes to avoid listening to Jesus, doesn't it? "Well as long as you give 10% of it at least..." many denominations say. Or the Prosperity idiots think God wants you to be rich. Or as some Apologists have tried to say, it really means the "Needle" as in a narrow gate (I don't buy that, but who am I?). And let's face it Girly, I'll never be rich enough to worry about that verse anyhow Wink

That's kind of not the point now is it? The point is you thought of it. Matthew 5:28. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-03-2018, 07:49 AM
FWP: The First Worldening seems to be the morning theme. Wake up with alarm, take longer in shower than I realize. Decide, since I'm running a bit behind where I want to be, to go to McDonald's for a muffin...their system is down and can only take cash, the one time I don't have a cash. Run to Walmart for some quick breakfast stuff to pop in office microwave, get it, and for the first time in months, self checkout is closed while I'm there. Go to the only open register, where the person can't do a void without a supervisor on some Dr. Seuss books for a person in front of me. They open another register and send three of us there, where we all take so long to get through that I watch the woman who had the books walk out long before I do, back on original register. Make it to work, type up my questions to add a sheet to my already printed tests...and halfway through the copy job, the copier runs out of toner (of which we are out), so shoot email off to secretary to ask about ordering more, and then print off my other 60 pages on a printer (for which I will get a budget nastygram because 'dear God, you used 60 pages of ink?!").

I still have about 15 minutes until my 4 hour long meeting about our university math courses and their structuring and advising.

(28-02-2018 04:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-02-2018 01:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I laughed immediately because I knew exactly the verse. But then Christianity has all the loopholes to avoid listening to Jesus, doesn't it? "Well as long as you give 10% of it at least..." many denominations say. Or the Prosperity idiots think God wants you to be rich. Or as some Apologists have tried to say, it really means the "Needle" as in a narrow gate (I don't buy that, but who am I?). And let's face it Girly, I'll never be rich enough to worry about that verse anyhow Wink

That's kind of not the point now is it? The point is you thought of it. Matthew 5:28. Tongue
Well, drat. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
05-03-2018, 08:23 PM
I have to eat these tortilla chips before they go bad Weeping

Tongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
05-03-2018, 08:31 PM
(01-03-2018 07:49 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  FWP: The First Worldening seems to be the morning theme. Wake up with alarm, take longer in shower than I realize. Decide, since I'm running a bit behind where I want to be, to go to McDonald's for a muffin...their system is down and can only take cash, the one time I don't have a cash. Run to Walmart for some quick breakfast stuff to pop in office microwave, get it, and for the first time in months, self checkout is closed while I'm there. Go to the only open register, where the person can't do a void without a supervisor on some Dr. Seuss books for a person in front of me. They open another register and send three of us there, where we all take so long to get through that I watch the woman who had the books walk out long before I do, back on original register. Make it to work, type up my questions to add a sheet to my already printed tests...and halfway through the copy job, the copier runs out of toner (of which we are out), so shoot email off to secretary to ask about ordering more, and then print off my other 60 pages on a printer (for which I will get a budget nastygram because 'dear God, you used 60 pages of ink?!").

I still have about 15 minutes until my 4 hour long meeting about our university math courses and their structuring and advising.

I've seen this before and it doesn't turn out well for anyone involved. ... Don't read the news today. Smile

#sigh
06-03-2018, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 11:16 AM by Kaneda.)
I was alone as could be, with no extra time left to get to work this morning, and out of the blue my bloody car decided it didn’t want to start. Sadcryface

Sadcryface... Sadcryface... Sadcryface... Sadcryface
07-04-2018, 10:59 AM
FFS Weeping

Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself.

Okay so over a month ago now I wanted to play one of my Xbox 360 games but the CD drive has been acting up and not always reading the disc in the drive. Well it stopped reading it completely, so I took disc drive apart fiddled with the motor and played with the alignment of the laser and I got it working... for a couple of days... then it stopped, this time for good.

Now, I had told everyone that once the Xbox dies I'm not getting a new console, I don't use it very much anymore and the kids are a few years away from moving out on their own anyway. I just wanted to still play some of my old games now and then.

So I went on to amazon and found an Xbox CD drive for sale for $30.00, cause I knew that you couldn't just throw any old drive in there. It would take over a month to ship it here from china...fine. It was listed as "new", Dodgy now I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, so I figured it was probably refurbished but if it worked I didn't really care, I doubt anyone is making new parts for a console that's over a decade old.

It finally came in on Thursday, I plugged it in and it almost works...almost. The Xbox is reading it like a regular DVD drive but it won't play the games...

So back to google... turns out every drive is paired specifically to every Xbox motherboard, fuck Facepalm, of course it is. My 2 choices are:

1. Apparently you can "hack" the motherboard to get the key to pair it with the drive I have, but it's difficult and if Microsoft detects the hack I'd be screwed.

2. Take the logic board out of my old CD drive and swap out the board in the new drive, should be easy right? My old drive has only 4 screws, and a few little cables to unplug.

I opened my "new" CD drive, and what do I see? The most god awful dog's breakfast of spliced wires & tape and worst soldering job I've ever seen!

So basically I'm going to have take apart both drives and try to rebuild one from the parts I have.

Why am I doing this?

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard