What is your objection to Atheism?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 03:46 PM
What is your objection to Atheism?
Hi everybody. I have been feeling the itch lately to spar with a believer.

I will keep it simple. I am an Atheist. I would be interested in anyone who can tell me why they think I am wrong about god and/or religion.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
18-03-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: What is your objection to Atheism?
pretty sure the answer would be "you just need to have faith"
20-03-2015, 03:28 PM
(18-03-2015 03:46 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Hi everybody. I have been feeling the itch lately to spar with a believer.

Trust me, I know the feeling, but on the opposite side of things. The problem you have is....me...and I don't think you want those kind of problems, pal No

(18-03-2015 03:46 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I will keep it simple. I am an Atheist. I would be interested in anyone who can tell me why they think I am wrong about god and/or religion.

Because on atheism, you have to believe that a mindless, blind process created life, consciousness, the universe, and objective morality....and I just don't find that position intelligible.
20-03-2015, 04:42 PM
(20-03-2015 03:28 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 03:46 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Hi everybody. I have been feeling the itch lately to spar with a believer.

Trust me, I know the feeling, but on the opposite side of things. The problem you have is....me...and I don't think you want those kind of problems, pal No

Is that some sort of veiled threat?

Quote:
(18-03-2015 03:46 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I will keep it simple. I am an Atheist. I would be interested in anyone who can tell me why they think I am wrong about god and/or religion.

Because on atheism, you have to believe that a mindless, blind process created life, consciousness, the universe, and objective morality....and I just don't find that position intelligible.

So it is your lack of imagination and intelligence that makes you the way you are. Good to know. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Appeal to personal incredulity, check.

Also, a universe with a deity has basically all of the same metaphysical issues as one without. They're just slightly more abstracted behind a god figure.
20-03-2015, 04:54 PM

I'm gonna try to make this a little simple.

No one knows how life started but there are several theories. You can look it up.

consciousness is one of the greatest mysteries about life as we know it. As far we know consciousness is a process of chemicals in your brain that is part of millions of years of evolution and causes self awareness. (Correct me if I am wrong)

The best theory on how the universe started is called the big bang theory.
And it is not what most religious people think of it, a random explosion in space.
No, when we look at the galaxies we see that they are moving away from us, which means that if you reverse time everything comes back into a single point million times more smaller than an atom, and then there was an expansion and that was what the big an theory is.

Non of this require anything supernatural.
20-03-2015, 05:54 PM

sigh...oh the ignorance just chaps the hide

lets review kiddies

There are two major prevailing thoughts for life on earth.

Posit A: Apparently the odds that conditions will be specific enough for life to form and evolve through time are....at the minimum 1 in 400+ billion. That number comes from how many planets the Hubble telescope can see and earth Big Grin As an added bonus there is a plethora..let me say it again...PLETHORA of evidence to support evolution. Yes

Posit B: Apparently some tools from our ancient past dusted off some old sumerian, caanite, and greek myths and gave them a makeover and voila! the bible. This laughable fictitious book full of fairy tales asserts that a magical super genie was floating in nothingness, then decided to create at least 400+ billion planets (refer you back to hubble telescope) until he got one juuuuuuuust right, then grabbing a handful of dirt, he blew into it creating man No As an added bonus there is ZERO evidence to support this.

Consider

I know where my vote goes....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
20-03-2015, 06:53 PM
OK folks, before this turns into a discussion thread...

Call_of_the_Wild, do you accept Dark Phoenix's challenge?

If not, please step aside. If so, all other posts will be removed etc. etc.

Cheers
DLJ

21-03-2015, 03:28 PM
(20-03-2015 06:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  OK folks, before this turns into a discussion thread...

Call_of_the_Wild, do you accept Dark Phoenix's challenge?

Cheers
DLJ

OH shit, I didn't even notice it was the boxing ring, my sincere apologies Confused

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
21-03-2015, 09:02 PM
(20-03-2015 06:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Call_of_the_Wild, do you accept Dark Phoenix's challenge?

Cheers
DLJ[/b][/color]

It still isn't clear what we are debating.
Thread Closed