What is your opinion about aliens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 06:05 PM
RE: What is your opinion about aliens?
I am basing my comments on the way you present this stuff as fact; go back and read your posts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2012, 03:16 PM
(14-06-2011 04:38 PM)Simone Wrote:  Do they exist? Are they here?
IMHO: yes, and probably not.

I don't think there's any question that there's other life out there of some kind, I have not however seen a shred of real evidence that they have been here yet.
Find all posts by this user
22-01-2012, 03:50 PM
(17-01-2012 06:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am basing my comments on the way you present this stuff as fact; go back and read your posts.
How should I write my posts? More maybes and perhapses?
22-01-2012, 03:54 PM
(22-01-2012 03:50 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(17-01-2012 06:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am basing my comments on the way you present this stuff as fact; go back and read your posts.
How should I write my posts? More maybes and perhapses?

It is my belief that ...
If the existence of ... is true ...
Assuming that ... is possible ...

There are lots of ways to talk about an interesting idea. I think your ideas about dark matter, etc. are quite interesting, but there's no evidence that any of it true.

22-01-2012, 05:31 PM
(22-01-2012 03:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is my belief that ...

There are lots of ways to talk about an interesting idea. I think your ideas about dark matter, etc. are quite interesting, but there's no evidence that any of it true.
OK, I will try. But I hesitate to call belief that which was or is my direct experience.
22-01-2012, 06:09 PM
(22-01-2012 05:31 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(22-01-2012 03:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is my belief that ...

OK, I will try. But I hesitate to call belief that which was or is my direct experience.

That's cool - say "In my experience ..."
But, really, do whatever seems right, but I will continue to call you out when I detect unsupported statements.
I no more believe that your experience is anything more than a delusion than I believe KC's is.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I haven't seen one! Never talked to one! I don't know anyone who has proof that they are here. Till then I am a skeptic. It's like God no proof so I don't believe. I would believe in a talking mule before I would a God.
27-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Sentience isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've gotten along with insentience for years now.

(14-06-2011 05:06 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Aliens obviously exist as life has been found in the shape of small organisms on planets near us. I don't really pay much attention to the whole sentience idea, as I feel that's something we can't really know about a species we can't communicate with.

If aliens are on this planet they've probably been here a long time which would mean they came her fleeing something. Most likely they were assimilated and their descendents became rather natural if that is the case. I don't think they are and I'm pretty sure we won't run into any of them within the next century at least. We are stil a long way off from being able to travel far enough that it becomes likely we meet the right type of planet.
27-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I believe that intelligent life exists out there. They might even be closer than we think. None of us know what technology is possible in the future. I do however know that 20,000 leagues under the sea was purely science fiction. We could not imagine how we could have whole powered ships be submersable. Now we have fleets of subs that are able to stay under for at least a decade if they carried enough food. Right now FTL is a work of fiction (at least as far as we have been told). I also know the majority of us wouldn't know intelligent life if it slapped us upside the head. One example would be corvids and parrots. Another one would be rodents. We come up with garbage cans and dumpsters that are supposed to be bear and racoon proof. Then why is it that a few months after we come up with it, they figure out how to get into them.Yesterdays scarecrow becomes todays' perch to hang out on. We under-estimate the species around us. The only way we will recognize a species from space as intelligent is if they have the tech to either fight a war with us or enslave us. Anything less and they will either end up slaves or pets.
27-10-2012, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 08:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
10^10 stars in a galaxy, 10^10 galaxies in the universe. 10^100 that we are alone. That's a googol against. It would be very very curious if we are alone. 'Course whether we'll ever be able to verify it one way or another is an entirely different story.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.