What is your opinion about aliens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2012, 11:04 PM
RE: What is your opinion about aliens?
I think the likelihood of us being alone is probably about the same as the Christian God existing. With the universe expanding, and us probably not ever going faster than the speed of light, I find it improbable that will ever find intelligent life though. I figure we will be extinct before we ever travel ≈ C. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt I'll ever find out.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2012, 01:57 AM
From a logical standpoint; there is no current evidence to suggest that life is elsewhere in the Universe. Having said that, there's CERTAINLY no evidence to suggest that other-worldly life is here on Earth.

But, in my personal, never-spoken-publicly view, yeah, there's life somewhere out there. Walking, breathing life. When I see that photo of the billions of galaxies; each containing billions more solar systems/planets, there is no doubt within me that the Universe is teeming with life. We'll never encounter it, nor it us, but it is out there.

But again, that is nothing more than my personal opinion. I'm uncomfortable - intellectually - asserting it as even that. But it is my opinion none the less. I wouldn't assert it as fact, but if you asked me to bet my left nut on it; I'd do it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
28-10-2012, 04:12 AM
(27-10-2012 11:04 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I think the likelihood of us being alone is probably about the same as the Christian God existing. With the universe expanding, and us probably not ever going faster than the speed of light, I find it improbable that will ever find intelligent life though. I figure we will be extinct before we ever travel ≈ C. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt I'll ever find out.

Speed of light, bah. Can't encode classical information in qubits, I say bah.

(28-10-2012 01:57 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  From a logical standpoint; there is no current evidence to suggest that life is elsewhere in the Universe. ... I wouldn't assert it as fact, but if you asked me to bet my left nut on it; I'd do it.

From a probabilistic view, odds are.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Lumi and Chas, what a pair. Suprised this thread hasn't self-annihilated. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
28-10-2012, 11:47 AM
(28-10-2012 10:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Lumi and Chas, what a pair. Suprised this thread hasn't self-annihilated. Big Grin

Oh, deferred prophet, that was in freakin' January. Keep up. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-10-2012, 12:20 AM
(28-10-2012 04:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Speed of light, bah. Can't encode classical information in qubits, I say bah.

Think we'll be able to do that before we go extinct? I don't. We humans are still pretty fucking clueless. We just found out that we weren't at the center of the universe not so long ago.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
29-10-2012, 05:41 AM
(29-10-2012 12:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  We just found out that we weren't at the center of the universe not so long ago.

Psh, speak for yourself. Some of us are just that awesome Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
29-10-2012, 08:35 AM
(29-10-2012 12:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 04:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Speed of light, bah. Can't encode classical information in qubits, I say bah.

Think we'll be able to do that before we go extinct? I don't. We humans are still pretty fucking clueless. We just found out that we weren't at the center of the universe not so long ago.

Technological change is exponential. Technology has taken on a life of its own and I daresay is now outside of our control. It can't be stopped or even slowed at this point.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-10-2012, 10:23 AM
(29-10-2012 08:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 12:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Think we'll be able to do that before we go extinct? I don't. We humans are still pretty fucking clueless. We just found out that we weren't at the center of the universe not so long ago.

Technological change is exponential. Technology has taken on a life of its own and I daresay is now outside of our control. It can't be stopped or even slowed at this point.

Let's just say you have more faith in us than I do. I hope you're right for the record. Hell, I want to report right now.

17-11-2012, 05:30 AM
well if they were here i would makes sense for them to kinda jerk our chains so to speak in order to get the technology needed to travel great distances in space the alien species must have an inherent drive to learn and discover so if said species were to find us and reach us one could assume that they would do experiments

starting with observation then samples of smaller life then larger life, psychological studies popping up here and there just to see the reactions

i think we would do the same if humanity were to find intelligent alien life which is primitive in comparison.

and in light of the massiveness of the universe i would not be surprised if we were alone

as for the ufo footage i`m extremely skeptical about that i was on a ufo forum i subscribed to a few years back i used my Photoshop skills to make a ufo photo and posted it there and i let the discussions rage on for a bit and when they came to the conclusion that i was "the real deal " i responded with the screen shots that i made while making the ufo photo and showing them that photos in this day and age are nothing easily faked
they did all sorts of stuff to see if it was real stuff that makes no sense like inverting the colors of my ufo photo looking for pixelation around the object ( which does nothing in determining the validity) but that only gives detail of the object i placed in there i cam make it as detailed as i see fit and then they got angry at me for placing a hoax but they seem to missed my point that is dont trust photographic evidence

but it definitely could be happening