What is your opinion about aliens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 04:06 AM
RE: What is your opinion about aliens?
I suspect that the Galaxy is teeming with life, even forms that we may not initially recognise as being alive. It would be mind-blowing if life only existed on Earth.

I have absolutely no idea as to whether any of those life forms are able to reach Earth though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm astounded by those who believe aliens exist. I treat aliens like god. I will suspend belief until I see some evidence. I'm not saying aliens don't exist. I guess I'm agnostic when it comes to aliens.
But the universe is so large! We can't possibly be alone! These are the common arguments.
How do we know that life can arise elsewhere? What if there is something particularly special about the space and time during abiogenesis on earth. Something we do not yet understand.
What if it takes the universe 13 billion years or so for life to arise and we are the first? Isn't it possible that life hasn't come about yet in other places? There are many factors about life and universe we do not yet understand(much more than we do understand). It seems to me odd not to suspend belief. As much as I want there to be aliens I cannot accept any assertion that they actually exist.
If aliens do exist I doubt very much that they have ever been here! Again, no evidence!
27-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Id like to address the common statement "we can't possibly be alone in the universe."
To me it is the same as saying "the universe cannot exist without god."
The only question I can ask of the speaker is;
How do you know that?
27-02-2014, 11:45 AM
The difference is, we know for a fact that life exists because we are it. We are living proof of this. There are billions of billions of billions of planets out there in a universe that has been around for nearly 14 billion years. The chances of life only existing on this one little planet here are basically 0. The only question is how common it is. Life might be a very rare thing in the universe, but if we find evidence that life existed on Mars (for example) that could suggest that life is actually common in the Universe.

The chances that any have ever been here is also ridiculously low. While it's possible that there is life out there with the technology to travel the distances involved in a lifetime (or just live much much longer than earthlings), the chances of the same Aliens finding us is also pretty slim, again because of the sheer vastness of the universe and number of planets. It would be like finding one tiny needle in a billion billion haystacks.
27-02-2014, 12:02 PM
(27-02-2014 11:45 AM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  The difference is, we know for a fact that life exists because we are it. We are living proof of this. There are billions of billions of billions of planets out there in a universe that has been around for nearly 14 billion years. The chances of life only existing on this one little planet here are basically 0. The only question is how common it is. Life might be a very rare thing in the universe, but if we find evidence that life existed on Mars (for example) that could suggest that life is actually common in the Universe.

The chances that any have ever been here is also ridiculously low. While it's possible that there is life out there with the technology to travel the distances involved in a lifetime (or just live much much longer than earthlings), the chances of the same Aliens finding us is also pretty slim, again because of the sheer vastness of the universe and number of planets. It would be like finding one tiny needle in a billion billion haystacks.
It seem irrelevant to me that life exists on earth. It seems irrelevant that it's obvious proof that life exists. It has nothing to do with life existing elsewhere.
-The chances that life exists only on earth is 0.-
And you know this how exactly? Do you know for sure what conditions are needed for abiogenesis?
And I'm not sure that the aliens couldn't find us if they do exist. We don't know what level of technology they might have. They might have things that are beyond our comprehension. We simply don't know!
As for life on Mars ... When we find conclusive evidence of life on Mars we must then figure out whether or not panspermia was the cause.
We cannot make assertions about alien life nor can we talk about what is possible without more information.
I'm not saying aliens don't exist but there is hardly any conclusive evidence to support the idea. Like a good skeptic I shall suspend belief until I see that evidence.
27-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I want to be clear here.. I'm not saying aliens don't exist. Maybe they do. How would I know?
I would like to think we are not alone and it does seem likely that we are not. But I don't know and I will make no assertions either way. I am simply pointing out that perhaps we may actually be alone. And of course the absurdity of making any assertion one way or the other.
01-03-2014, 09:34 AM
(27-02-2014 12:11 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I want to be clear here.. I'm not saying aliens don't exist. Maybe they do. How would I know?
I would like to think we are not alone and it does seem likely that we are not. But I don't know and I will make no assertions either way. I am simply pointing out that perhaps we may actually be alone. And of course the absurdity of making any assertion one way or the other.

There are two sides to this debate, and both involve belief.

All beliefs are merely assumptions, and the most logical assumption is that we are not alone in the universe, due to sheer the universe's vastness and complexity. This would be considered an educated assumption, while the other side of the spectra of beliefs are entirely uneducated, and, perhaps more importantly, unwise. I call the assumption that we are alone unwise because even the earliest forms of superstition have recognized that humans are not the center of the universe, but that humans are only one part of a larger whole.

The second assumption is that we are alone in the universe, which is easily falsifiable with coming technology, and, along with the fact of the mind-boggling ignorance and arrogance of this assumption, it will, one day, prove to be false (hopefully).

To assume that we are the only beings in the infinity of the universe would make us the center of the universe, and many have proven this belief to be false throughout the ages, and many of those who did were burned at the stake for it.

Thus, it is not absurd to make an assertion that leans to either side, because one viewpoint is more logical than the other.
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
01-03-2014, 10:15 AM
(14-06-2011 04:38 PM)Simone Wrote:  Do they exist? Are they here?
IMHO: yes, and probably not.

[Image: 314717_271774386168105_142172979128247_1...2467_n.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
01-03-2014, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 02:19 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(01-03-2014 09:34 AM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 12:11 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I want to be clear here.. I'm not saying aliens don't exist. Maybe they do. How would I know?

There are two sides to this debate, and both involve belief.

All beliefs are merely assumptions, and the most logical assumption is that we are not alone in the universe, due to sheer the universe's vastness and complexity. This would be considered an educated assumption, while the other side of the spectra of beliefs are entirely uneducated, and, perhaps more importantly, unwise. I call the assumption that we are alone unwise because even the earliest forms of superstition have recognized that humans are not the center of the universe, but that humans are only one part of a larger whole.

The second assumption is that we are alone in the universe, which is easily falsifiable with coming technology, and, along with the fact of the mind-boggling ignorance and arrogance of this assumption, it will, one day, prove to be false (hopefully).

To assume that we are the only beings in the infinity of the universe would make us the center of the universe, and many have proven this belief to be false throughout the ages, and many of those who did were burned at the stake for it.

Thus, it is not absurd to make an assertion that leans to either side, because one viewpoint is more logical than the other.
I afraid I must disagree. I do not see how the vastness of the universe has anything to do with extraterrestrial life(I've heard many a theist claim this for gods. The universe is so big that gods must exist. In fact the universe is so big that everything we can imagine must exist. Perhaps so. I say prove it).As I said earlier, we don't know what conditions are needed for abiogenesis. How do you know what the odds are that life could arise? They could be 1 in 10 or the could be so remote that it has only happened once. You simply don't know. As I said I figure odds are we are not alone but one cannot make an educated guess on the subject. There is simply not enough data. As I stated the size of the universe is irrelevant as is it's age and it doesn't matter in the least if it's arrogant to think we are alone. It doesn't matter what superstitions people had way back when either. Both viewpoints are equally logical at this point because no evidence one way or the other has surfaced(and the size of the universe is not evidence).
Bottom line: not enough evidence to make an assertion or an educated guess. There is simply wishful thinking and faith. Nothing more, nothing less.
Edited....
01-03-2014, 02:17 PM
(01-03-2014 02:12 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I afraid I must disagree. I do not see how the vastness of the universe has anything to do with extraterrestrial life(I've heard many a theist claim this for gods. The universe is so big that gods must exist. In fact the universe is so big that everything we can imagine must exist. Perhaps so. I say prove it).As I said earlier, we don't know what conditions are needed for abiogenesis. How do you know what the odds are that life could arise? They could be 1 in 10 or the could be so remote that it has only happened once. You simply don't know.

Right, but even without knowing statistics in detail, if our initial assumption is that it is possible for life to arise, it is in fact far, far less likely for this to have happened only and exactly once.

I mean, that's just a matter of prior probabilities and very large scales.

(01-03-2014 02:12 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  As I said I figure odds are we are not alone but one cannot make an educated guess on the subject. There is simply not enough data. As I stated the size of the universe is irrelevant as is it's age and it doesn't matter in the least if it's arrogant to think we are alone.
Bottom line: not enough evidence to make an assertion or an educated guess. There is simply wishful thinking and faith. Nothing more, nothing less.

We indeed don't know.

But - IF we assume life (as we know it) arose via natural actions THEN it is virtually certain to have happened elsewhere in an incomprehensibly vast universe. That follows almost trivially, simply due to the numbers involved.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post