What is your opinion about aliens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
RE: What is your opinion about aliens?
To think that this blue speck is the only planet out there with life, basically to me would be a very arrogant way of thinking. And would totally lack any common sense at all.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2013, 10:43 PM
(06-02-2013 09:13 PM)smidgen Wrote:  To think that this blue speck is the only planet out there with life, basically to me would be a very arrogant way of thinking. And would totally lack any common sense at all.

Certainly is arrogant, but I wouldn't say this is common sense. In my experience understanding of the universe and how large it is is not common, also there are probably a lack of people considering life on other planets simply because they believe their god made them only, that they are special. It is a rather arrogant mindset to assume the entire universe was made for just us, yet a lot of people seem to hold this view.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

08-02-2013, 03:13 AM
It is possible that there are other life forms out there on other planets. Sadly by the time any human meets one chances are everyone on here will be dead...
08-02-2013, 03:48 AM
As long as they're cute like ET, I'll be in favor of aliens. If they take my Reeses Pieces, I will not be too happy, though.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

21-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Personally, I have a theory regarding the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life.

As far as "beliefs" are concerned, it really comes down to what each of us accepts in regards to the origin of existence.

If you are from the school of thought that the origin of existence began with a singularity known as the Big Bang, then you are have accepted Determinism as being the controlling agent behind every last thing you do. In other words, you have no Free Will.

However, in contrast to the Big Bang and Determinism, if you regard everything as being Random, then you must acknowledge that there could not possibly be an origin to existence and accept that existence is eternal. Hence, you have Free will.

Now, in regards to intelligent extraterrestrial life, if there was no origin to existence, and everything has always existed, then that means that the universe itself has no boundaries and is limitless, endless, and eternal. What that means is that it is mathematically impossible for intelligent extraterrestrial life to not exist.

Personally, I do not accept the Big Bang as being the origin of all that exists. Sure, I accept that there was indeed a Big Bang, but was it the only Big Bang? If so, then how did it come into existence in the first place? I highly suspect that this question can never be answered, or if it was answered, the only answer would favor the eternal premise.

Therefore, for me at least, until an origin of existence is conclusively determined, my default position is that currently there is no origin, and the universe itself is endless, timeless, and eternal. And again, this directly translates to the mathematical impossibility that intelligent extraterrestrial life does not exist.

Conclusion: Intelligent extraterrestrial life must exist, according to the current state of our knowledge.

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
21-02-2013, 04:01 PM
(21-02-2013 02:13 PM)Free Wrote:  Conclusion: Intelligent extraterrestrial life must exist, according to the current state of our knowledge.

I'd say that's a fair conclusion.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

22-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Jesus is an alien.

He jumped the border a little over a year ago.

bdum Tissss!
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
23-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm sure there is something crawling, or swimming, or whatever out there. Other civilizations, I'd like to think so. If not now, in the hundreds of billions of years ahead in the universe.
I highly doubt they are visiting. I'm a big Carl Sagan fan and he was pretty frank in his skepticism. But I'm not one to judge though and don't think less of alleged abductees and people who accept their claims Heart

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
02-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Possible that life (in whatever shape or form) exists somewhere else? - Yes
Have our "neighbors" ever visited us? - No
Did we get any clues that something might be out there? - Maybe (see WOW-signal)

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2013, 10:45 AM
I certainly think Aliens are real. As it's been said before it would be incredibly ignorant to think we are the only life in the entire universe.

However I very much doubt they have been visiting and taking people up into their spaceships to be probed. I'm sorry but people in trailer parks claiming they've seen them and shakey video's of lights and hub caps is just not enough evidence to convince me.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard