What is your opinion about aliens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2011, 04:18 PM
RE: What is your opinion about aliens?
As The_Observer said, defining "Intelligent" life could run awry also. Can you imagine an ET actually coming here and the first humans it meets are W. Bush and Sara Palin? !!! Huh

I know you really meant thinking intelligent life. My daffynition would be something smart enough to have control of, and the ability to modify it's personal space. It would be able to make it's own decisions and act on them out of it's own free will. Most bugs on our planet could fit into that category.
If you want to take "intelligence" to a higher level, how about the ability to read and write, record new knowledge and discoveries, pass knowledge down to the next generation. Be able to make and use complex tools, like power tools, computers, and medical equipment.
I believe that the 2 most important categories to look at for intelligence would be level of communication skills, and ability to imagine things that don't exist yet, which is the father of invention. ( We know necessity is the mother)

Quote:Blas said ;
What he sees in simple straight forward sentences, is equal to what an
accomplished braille reader sees in a stucco wall!
Quote:The_observer said ;
Mind if I borrow that now and then? Wink

Hell yeah! go pher it !!!Big Grin

I really am a lot more sane than I have been acting here, but I had no flies to torment last night, so I acted up and talked goofy to torment trainwreck instead. Tongue

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't think you're any crazier than the rest of us. Maybe less so than some. I like hearing about all of the theories out there, it's refreshing. If we all just lived with what we know as concrete proof, well we'd still be in a cave somewhere, cold and lonely. Throwing ideas around is paramount to any scientific beginning. Plus some of them are pretty funny. Pet rock aliens, that would be neat. Although I would rather have a tribble or a gremlin I think.

As to not believing an alien race could have come all the way here just to watch us for thousands of years without making itself known, why not? If they are truly evolved life forms I would hope that they would be rather peaceful though I doubt it, and if they were peaceful maybe they would have developed a set of rules governing space travel and dumber civilizations, like a non interference clause, like in Star Trek. Maybe we act as a living history lesson to their own civilization, and classes come to watch us through the glass. To snicker at our clothes, how outdated, to laugh at our hairstyles. Probably not true, but funny to think about none the less.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-06-2011, 10:35 PM
(16-06-2011 06:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Pet rock aliens, that would be neat. Although I would rather have a tribble or a gremlin I think.

Remember, there is no such thing as A Tribble! They're born pregnant. Tongue

(16-06-2011 06:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  As to not believing an alien race could have come all the way here just to watch us for thousands of years without making itself known, why not? If they are truly evolved life forms I would hope that they would be rather peaceful though I doubt it, and if they were peaceful maybe they would have developed a set of rules governing space travel and dumber civilizations, like a non interference clause, like in Star Trek.

That was the point I was trying to make! I was just tossing it as a far fetched possibility.

(16-06-2011 06:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  To snicker at our clothes, how outdated, to laugh at our hairstyles.

Yeah, I get that a lot...
[Image: me4.jpg]
Blasphemy Fan, Sarasota, Florida 2009

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
16-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Does primitive life exist on other planets? Its inconceivable to me that it would not. Does intelligent life exist on other planets? Now that statement can be debated. First you need to define intelligent, many people saw dolphins and elephants are intelligent but I doubt that is what your trying to ask so my definition of a intelligent species will be one that has language and writing in some form.

Now that I have made that clear I do believe it would be highly unlikely that we are the only intelligent beings in the universe when you can hold up your thumb to the night sky and it covers around 3000 entire galaxys, but I also highly doubt we will have contact with them, if ever. I say this because of the vast distances between two possibly intelligent species that even transmission would take thousands to billions of years to reach each other and thats nothing compared with actually transporting people across these distances. Now even though it is possible to travel faster then the speed of light (Yes I can back this up if you challenge my statement) creating a structure that could survive such forces let alone protect the occupants from these forces is all together, once again one heck of a road block for first contact.

As for the statement about traveling faster then the speed of light, just so I don't have to do into details think of it like this. How can the universe be 13.7 billion years old and the radius be about 46.5 billion light years.
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Some fun philosophical toys... (not to be taken serious)

If a few chosen 100.000 of mankind would get into a spaceship and go on to try and colonise the galaxy, I seriously doubt the individuals setting foot on the first planet would still resemble us due to the inbreeding of several generations of spaceship-dwellers.

This reminds me of the hypothesis that "the grays" ([Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWtVQf2saH6Hng98ZvmOm...0NqQgXNvjQ]) Are in fact further evolved humans coming from the future.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
17-06-2011, 06:58 AM
(17-06-2011 04:35 AM)The_observer Wrote:  If a few chosen 100.000 of mankind would get into a spaceship and go on to try and colonise the galaxy, I seriously doubt the individuals setting foot on the first planet would still resemble us due to the inbreeding of several generations of spaceship-dwellers.

They would also probably be incredibly frail, Casper-white and running dangerously low on resources.
Mars would seem like a good place to start, if you can get regular supply shipments going a couple times a year than any colonies should be able to hold up.

Little thought experiment here, supposing the first couple colonies are able to sustain themselves, and after a few generations secede from whatever nation they originate from. Would wars break out, and how would warfare on another planet be different?

You think shrapnel wounds are bad? How about explosive decompression?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
17-06-2011, 07:23 AM
(17-06-2011 06:58 AM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  You think shrapnel wounds are bad? How about explosive decompression?
There's a rather graphic scene about that in "Event Horizon." I was looking for that on youtube but didn't find it. I found a snippet in an unofficial trailer however It's between in 0:57 and 1:02

You know what...let's stay on topic Confused

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
17-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I will throw my two cents in now!
Does life exist on other planets/celestial bodies in the universe? Probably
Is it intelligent? (I am going to assume intelligence is defined as advanced problem solving and communication) Doubtful but not impossible
Have these aliens been to Earth? Unlikely

We can look at life on our own planet for a better understanding of life elsewhere. Think about the ~3 billion years life needed before humans (I'll equate us to the intelligent aliens) first appeared on Earth. Although the probability of life exisiting on other planets almost ensures that there exists some lifeforms elsewhere the odds of evolution producing another intelligent species is much less likely (not impossible). There is a lot of speculation about what life would be like on other planets including amonia dependent life rather than water dependent. Or silicon based life as opposed to carbon based. The whole concept of aliens having two eyes and walking on two legs with two arms is almost certainly unlikely. The odds that any lifeform on any other celestial body would resemble life on Earth is hoaky at best. Consider this: humans will look more like spiders than we will aliens. The reason is simple...we share a common ancestor with the spider (probably existed prior to the Cambrian so ~>542 Ma) and are therefore more genetically similar to the spider than ANY alien lifeform. What will they look like? Who the hell knows! I wonder if we would even be capable of seeing them? Our eyes evolved to sense the visible portion of the light spectrum because it is the most abundant. What if life on another planet evolved to sense light in the UV or x-ray portion of the spectrum? Perhaps they will have evolved such that they are visible only within that spectrum? MAYBE THEY ARE THE GHOSTS THAT PEOPLE KEEP CLAIMING TO SEE!!!!!!! Tongue Or something like that!

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
17-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Bees see aliens among us?!!!!! Oh no!!!! we need to find a way to communicate with the bees so that we can understand what this means!!!! Quick start attempting dances and review the responses the bees make to them!!!

I actually think Marsupials and Eutherians make a good distinction of what it would be like. Though of course at a grander scale. both Marsupials and Eutherians fitting similar roles within the ecosystem but having many distinctions. Obviously the pronouncement would be radically different but to me this sort of variation is a good precursor to actually viewing the difference.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-06-2011, 04:53 PM
The bees know all....

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ancient Aliens Shadow Fox 4 90 19-07-2014 02:50 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Evidence that we have been invaded by green aliens from outer space Bows and Arrows 14 279 09-07-2014 11:05 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  Aliens !, what would embarrass you the most sporehux 55 1,798 07-12-2013 05:24 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Documentary: Ancient Aliens Debunked ghostexorcist 46 4,314 01-11-2013 10:13 AM
Last Post: Skeptic Gamer
  Actually aliens saved me. BlackMason 28 1,120 22-10-2013 08:46 AM
Last Post: sporehux
  Fbi with Aliens, and claimed UFO image. Adenosis 13 551 18-10-2013 05:16 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  Ancient Aliens! Adenosis 36 2,866 02-10-2013 12:45 PM
Last Post: Dom