Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2017, 11:27 AM
What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
What is your opinion about talent?

Talented and gifted people in some areas have some special gene or they work hard in this area or both of them?

Can someone who hasn't passion in area who has talent or someone has passion in an area who don't have talent?

If someone has passion in an area who don't have talent wouldn't he/she become good in this area?

Some people say that talent is hereditary and natural and you can't obtain it if you don't have it and some others that anyone can become good in the area who choose to involve if he/she works hard.

In my childhood the talents I had was maths and exact sciences (I was excellent at those subjects) and video games (I completed them in an hour and I had high scores at the age of 2 or 3 years old). If talent is natural and hereditary in maths and generally exacts sciences I was good because my parents are both chemistries and pharmacists but I also had talent in video games but none of my parents involved with video games and technology, but when my parents are kids video games didn't exist so I don't know.

What is your opinion about talent?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
I usually think of talent being something you are born with by definition.

I'd expect hereditary genetics to be a big factor a lot of the time, but not essential.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
25-04-2017, 11:53 AM
(25-04-2017 11:44 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I usually think of talent being something you are born with by definition.

I'd expect hereditary genetics to be a big factor a lot of the time, but not essential.

If someone has passion and try in something who doesn't have talent would he/she become good at it?
25-04-2017, 11:54 AM
I think it's naturally acquired. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Depends on what you mean by "talent", but a certain amount of it is certainly natural/hereditary. I use myself as an example. I already knew how to read before I started school, and I breezed through elementary school, high school, and college (as far as I went) with straight A grades. I don't remember having to work very hard until college, and even then, only in certain classes. Even calculus was easy until we got to the point where we had to start proving things. That was a challenge.

On the other hand, I had no chance of ever being Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods, no matter how hard or how long I worked at it. I simply didn't (and don't) have that level of physical talent. My older brother, conversely, struggled in school but mastered every sport he tried with little or no effort.

Hard work can make a big difference in developing whatever talent you have, but I strongly believe that some people have more to start with than others.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
25-04-2017, 12:00 PM
(25-04-2017 11:53 AM)no_reason Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 11:44 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I usually think of talent being something you are born with by definition.

If someone has passion and try in something who doesn't have talent would he/she become good at it?

Sure, they can become good at it.

I think people are generally born, very roughly, with inherent skill caps in different areas. Those who are "talented" are born with a higher cap in that area, and also start off better at it too.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
25-04-2017, 12:37 PM
(25-04-2017 11:56 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Depends on what you mean by "talent", but a certain amount of it is certainly natural/hereditary. I use myself as an example. I already knew how to read before I started school, and I breezed through elementary school, high school, and college (as far as I went) with straight A grades. I don't remember having to work very hard until college, and even then, only in certain classes. Even calculus was easy until we got to the point where we had to start proving things. That was a challenge.

On the other hand, I had no chance of ever being Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods, no matter how hard or how long I worked at it. I simply didn't (and don't) have that level of physical talent. My older brother, conversely, struggled in school but mastered every sport he tried with little or no effort.

Hard work can make a big difference in developing whatever talent you have, but I strongly believe that some people have more to start with than others.

Can someone has talent in something who don't like
25-04-2017, 12:48 PM
(25-04-2017 12:37 PM)no_reason Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 11:56 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Depends on what you mean by "talent", but a certain amount of it is certainly natural/hereditary. I use myself as an example. I already knew how to read before I started school, and I breezed through elementary school, high school, and college (as far as I went) with straight A grades. I don't remember having to work very hard until college, and even then, only in certain classes. Even calculus was easy until we got to the point where we had to start proving things. That was a challenge.

Can someone has talent in something who don't like

Your question is a bit garbled, so I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Can someone have talent for something that they don't like doing? I don't see why not. You could, for example, have perfect pitch and/or the ability to play complicated musical passages after hearing them once -- and yet be uninterested in music or making music. You could have world class sprinter's speed but no desire to race, etc.

I've always enjoyed doing the few things that I'm good at, but I don't think it has to be that way. I do think that you're more likely to work hard and develop your talent if you enjoy doing whatever it is.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
25-04-2017, 01:02 PM
I imagine that a series of genes play into what we call "natural talent", like when someone can quickly pick up new instruments that others have to practice tirelessly to master. I imagine that there are a lot of things that factor into that- like good fine motor control, good hearing, rhythm, etc for musicians. Genetics probably play a role in those things. As do other some factors.

But that doesn't mean a person can't work to overcome characteristics that are less beneficial than others to attain the same skill level.

I would suggest not thinking about "talent" as a single genetic characteristic. Like pretty much everything in life, it's probably more complicated than that.
25-04-2017, 03:44 PM
(25-04-2017 12:48 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Can someone have talent for something that they don't like doing? I don't see why not.

I had a talent for painting when I was a teen but never enjoyed it until I was much older. For the longest time I felt like it was just showing off.

Now, because of lack of practice and training, I'm sure I'm not as good as I could have been.