Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
Talent is a strange thing. Often people say it's naturally or hereditary, but I disagree. I've read cases of people having a talent in playing piano, yet their kid has one is sports. I think everyone has it in them to learn to something and be proclaimed to have talent over being hardworking. Other times 'Talent' is used to express a sense of 'I am better than you'. When most people are learn or do better at something at others. It's not really talent as peoples brains just process things better.

People said I have a talent in Math, yet though I am good at it I'm not doing something in it as a profession. I think I just paid attention more and processed it better than others could. There are just some who can't learn as well as others. It's not they don't have 'Talent' it's just they can't go as fast as others in a certain field.

It's hard to describe, basically some are just faster learners than others at something. And Talent is just a word to make someone feel special or happy about what they do.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Talent is defined as "natural aptitude or skill" so it is, by definition, not acquired.

What is acquired is skill.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-06-2017, 03:32 PM
(10-06-2017 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Talent is defined as "natural aptitude or skill" so it is, by definition, not acquired.

What is acquired is control of that skill.

In other words, it all comes back to practice and circumstance--the people you learn from, the people you practice with.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
10-06-2017, 06:09 PM
(10-06-2017 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Talent is defined as "natural aptitude or skill" so it is, by definition, not acquired.

The thing is, how do we define natural aptitude or skill?

It's all nice and well to say that, but there is no metric. A good musician might be so for having faster twitch-responses, or might be so for better understanding the theory behind what it is you're listening to. Those are natural aptitudes, but until they're shaped by experience, they may (or may not!) find expression in what we call "talent". Indeed, I'm of the opinion that "talent" lies at the intersection of Natural Street and Practice Avenue.

When it comes to anything so complex as human behavior, nurture plays at least a large a role as nature, I think. We're born with two instincts: suckling, and grasping. We may also be born with different neurological or muscular architecture .... but it still requires training, and lots of it, to capitalize on those birthrights. The "Ten-thousand Hour Rule" has, I'm sure, a basis in fact.
10-06-2017, 09:20 PM
(10-06-2017 06:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

The thing is, how do we define natural aptitude or skill?

It's all nice and well to say that, but there is no metric. A good musician might be so for having faster twitch-responses, or might be so for better understanding the theory behind what it is you're listening to. Those are natural aptitudes, but until they're shaped by experience, they may (or may not!) find expression in what we call "talent". Indeed, I'm of the opinion that "talent" lies at the intersection of Natural Street and Practice Avenue.

When it comes to anything so complex as human behavior, nurture plays at least a large a role as nature, I think. We're born with two instincts: suckling, and grasping. We may also be born with different neurological or muscular architecture .... but it still requires training, and lots of it, to capitalize on those birthrights. The "Ten-thousand Hour Rule" has, I'm sure, a basis in fact.

Mothers suckle, babies suck.

I am differentiating training from innate ability. We know talent when we see it as when someone is almost immediately good at something with little training or practice.

Quote:Chopin began producing his beautiful piano music at the age of seven, composing two Polonaises, one in G minor and the other in B flat major.

Quote:Between the ages of 12 and 14, Mendelssohn wrote 12 string symphonies...

Quote:Victor Borge Won a full scholarship to the Royal Danish Music Conservatory at age nine

Mozart, Jackie Evancho, Glenn Gould - all professionals before they were in their teens.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2017, 01:07 AM
Glad to see most everyone voted that you can improve yourself with training and practice, but also that genetics and heredity can place people at different baselines.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
11-06-2017, 02:00 AM
I just read through this thread and see it took quite a turn to musical talent and ability.

Something I noticed about my kids leads me to believe some things are just innate.

My oldest is, and always has been, a klutz. She is not graceful in how she moves and is the first to admit she cannot dance. She wasn't good at any sports so she didn't stick with them.

My middle child has always had a great sense of balance and control of her body. From the time she was a toddler she could watch a music video one time and could mimic the choreography. She was good at gymnastics and was a cheerleader for a time.

My youngest has great balance, is a fast runner, and has great hand-eye coordination. He excelled in football and baseball from a very young age.

The thing I find interesting is that my middle daughter's daughter excels at baseball and even has the same batting stance as my son. We live a thousand miles apart so he has had no influence on her skill in baseball...there has to be something genetic going on there.

I do think that some people can become proficient with enough drive, good training, and practice. But there are some people who just seem to 'be born with it'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat