Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2017, 06:56 PM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
I am an artist just like my father. I'm sure there was a strong environmental pressure--I saw him drawing and wanted to do the same. I'm a firm believer that practice is essential for mastering (or at least improving) a given skill. Growing up, I was better at art than most children simply because I put monumental effort into it. Drawing took up my every waking moment between eating, school, and homework. Likewise, my drawing skills have rusted over the years since I have switched to the digital domain. Genetics could play some role, but even a savant can't shine unless that talent is nourished.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
26-04-2017, 02:20 AM
(25-04-2017 12:48 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 12:37 PM)no_reason Wrote:  Can someone has talent in something who don't like

Your question is a bit garbled, so I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Can someone have talent for something that they don't like doing? I don't see why not. You could, for example, have perfect pitch and/or the ability to play complicated musical passages after hearing them once -- and yet be uninterested in music or making music. You could have world class sprinter's speed but no desire to race, etc.

I've always enjoyed doing the few things that I'm good at, but I don't think it has to be that way. I do think that you're more likely to work hard and develop your talent if you enjoy doing whatever it is.

This reminds me my mom say that I could become an excelent musician when I was 7 years old my piano teacher told me that i will become great musician and I wanted to stop music lessons
Find all posts by this user
26-04-2017, 03:34 AM
I think as others have said, its a bit of both.

You can be born with "natural talent" , which I see as genetics working out in your favor. [for example, the way your vocal chords are naturally aligned, to potential help singing, or the way in which you process information/things you see quickly, to become good at certain games/sports].

But you can also most certainly become very good at something by just practicing over and over again, until your master it. Some things people just can't do, whilst others can, but generally most things can be achieved if you work for it.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
26-04-2017, 06:38 AM
I agree with some of the other responses that say that "talent" is a very rubbery definition...

A footballer can kick a goal from 60 metres out, but I can't.

I can design a road bridge, but a footballer cannot.

—which of us is the more talented?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
26-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Nothing is either or, but both and always depending on the individual and environment the individual has in making the attempt. It is easier to do something when you have family support and or financial support. Some people may want to do something but really cant do it. Singing does really beyond wanting to do it, isn't simply just a matter of training. Your neurological pathways, and the way your auditory system develops and even how your vocal cords evolve as you are born and grow up matter.

I can tell you I will never be good at playing music. Just like sports I never had a fluid motion and I also think the way the joints in my hands developed prevented me from being able to be fluid in my motion when attempting to play an individual note progression on a guitar.

But, I do write poetry, and while I might not get rich from it, and while I wont claim all of them are good. I have written hundreds and hundreds, which I can say some of them people will like.

And even if you find something easy and you love doing it and you do it well, that does not mean you will end up on the top of the pay scale or be famous. Most aspiring football players at best make it only to the high school or college level. Most aspiring bands will not get to the level of the Beatles or Rolling Stones. I used to belong to a poetry group, in person poetry group. Once a month we met at a restaurant and I cannot begin to tell you all the great poems that will never be as famous as "The Raven".

So to the OP, you can be good at some things and not good at others. Some people take longer to pick something up, while others can pick it up quickly. While others simply suck and will never be good at something.

I will say at a minimum, everyone can find at least something they like doing, even if it is off the clock, to act as their therapy. And if you cannot do for a living what you want to do, at least find a job where you get along with your co workers. Nothing wrong with trying to do what you like, but we should not lie to youth and claim they will end up on top. Most people if lucky, can pay their bills, keep a roof over their heads and save a little money long term. It is equally important while telling them it is ok to try, to tell them to have something to fall back onto..

All the talent in the world still requires someone else to see it, many people to see it, and it is rare even with talent that you end up rich and famous. The math simply isn't there for everyone to all be at the top all at the same time. It isn't saying don't try, but only to be realistic about the math.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
26-04-2017, 07:03 AM
(25-04-2017 11:27 AM)no_reason Wrote:  What is your opinion about talent?

More trouble that it's worth.

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-04-2017, 07:19 AM
(26-04-2017 07:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 11:27 AM)no_reason Wrote:  What is your opinion about talent?

More trouble that it's worth.

For who? I hate all or nothing bullshit statements like this.

I got the philosophy thinker poetry brain. My X wife got the PHD biology degree. Now wanna guess who makes a decent middle class living and who has had to rely on help from family? Both of us have talent for different things.

Not everything is about money no, but why should anyone begrudge someone else who can pick up something easy, like my x wife picked up biology? I can understand some basic concepts of chemistry and evolutionary biology, but I cant even do a fraction to save my life. Ironically when we were in college, she had a hard dime with understanding English literature, so she helped me out with the science classes and I helped her out with understanding the concepts, ideas and motifs in literature.

It depends. If your success causes you to have problems such as lack of balance with family, or lack of rest which causes you health problems no. If your talent causes you to become so famous you live under a fishbowl, but cant handle any tabloid bullshit and care more about being liked by everyone, then you wont handle your success well.

But I don't know why anyone would have a problem with others being good at something.

It depends, nothing in life is either or. Talent can be easy for some, learning something may take longer for others. Some work their way up with no help, others do the same with help. Some will never be good at that one thing, but might do good at other things.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
26-04-2017, 11:35 AM
I've always been one to think that people are "born" with a natural propensity to do things and some have genetic advantages to whatever they plan on doing.
Example: some pianists are born with longer fingers.

I also realized that passion for a subject can be obtained incredibly early in childhood. However, if you do not hone your talent you will not become great.
A painter who does not paint or a pianist who doesn't play would not have anything over someone who doesn't have a predisposition towards any particular thing who seriously works for their craft.
26-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Someone like an opera singer has to be born with some physical properties in their vocal cords and lungs that allow them to sing opera. There's a lot of training they go though.

Barbra Streisand has said she never really took voice lessons in her life. She could always sing even when she was little. Here she is at 13 years old in a recording her mother paid for at Nola Recording studio. 13 for fuck sakes!

The person has to have the will to hone their talent. If they don't have the drive then they might as well be a talentless slug.

I hate it when people call talent a gift from god. It's not. It's just genetics, drive, luck, a lot of practice and life circumstances all rolled into one.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-04-2017, 01:56 PM
(26-04-2017 01:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Someone like an opera singer has to be born with some physical properties in their vocal cords and lungs that allow them to sing opera. There's a lot of training they go though.

Barbra Streisand has said she never really took voice lessons in her life. She could always sing even when she was little. Here she is at 13 years old in a recording her mother paid for at Nola Recording studio. 13 for fuck sakes!

The person has to have the will to hone their talent. If they don't have the drive then they might as well be a talentless slug.

I hate it when people call talent a gift from god. It's not. It's just genetics, drive, luck, a lot of practice and life circumstances all rolled into one.

Yes but you don't know if she hadn't voice lessons she may lie or she probably had parents who sing or played instrument, but if someone likes something who don't have talent and work hard and many hours in this area wouldn't he/she become good or wouldn't he/she reach someone who has natural talent?