Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 01:57 AM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
(26-04-2017 10:50 PM)psybj Wrote:  Depends on the talent, but each is probably some of each.

Argued about IQ decades ago, then settled on IQ being about 78% heredity and 22% environmental which would include factors such as nutrition.

For other talents it is likely different percentages.

A friend who involve with this said that talent is 25% heredity, 25% enviroment (family,friends), 25% free will and 25% hard work
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2017, 08:22 AM
(27-04-2017 01:57 AM)no_reason Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 10:50 PM)psybj Wrote:  Depends on the talent, but each is probably some of each.

Argued about IQ decades ago, then settled on IQ being about 78% heredity and 22% environmental which would include factors such as nutrition.

For other talents it is likely different percentages.

A friend who involve with this said that talent is 25% heredity, 25% enviroment (family,friends), 25% free will and 25% hard work

I think this is a misuse of the word "talent". Talent by definition is something "given" or innate -- you can't acquire it by free will or hard work. You can develop your talent in those ways, and you can acquire skill/proficiency (not the same as talent).
27-04-2017, 08:43 AM
(27-04-2017 08:22 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 01:57 AM)no_reason Wrote:  A friend who involve with this said that talent is 25% heredity, 25% enviroment (family,friends), 25% free will and 25% hard work

I think this is a misuse of the word "talent". Talent by definition is something "given" or innate -- you can't acquire it by free will or hard work. You can develop your talent in those ways, and you can acquire skill/proficiency (not the same as talent).

Yes but I believe that you can become good in something who don't have talent by free will or hard work not as good as someone with talent and hard work but you can bexome good
[+] 1 user Likes no_reason's post
27-04-2017, 08:44 AM
*become
27-04-2017, 08:52 AM
(27-04-2017 08:43 AM)no_reason Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 08:22 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I think this is a misuse of the word "talent". Talent by definition is something "given" or innate -- you can't acquire it by free will or hard work. You can develop your talent in those ways, and you can acquire skill/proficiency (not the same as talent).

Yes but I believe that you can become good in something who don't have talent by free will or hard work not as good as someone with talent and hard work but you can bexome good

I agree. You can acquire skill/proficiency (i.e., "become good") with enough hard work. But the upper limit of how good you can become is set by your innate talent.
27-04-2017, 08:53 AM
I like to learn about people's lives so a couple of days ago I was reading about Maria Callas, the opera singer, and watching some of her videos on youtube and invariably there were dozens of people claiming she was "sent by god" or was "god's gift to the world" or some other god invoked response. Drove me nuts.

Anyway, she lost 80 pounds when she was around 32 years old and it changed her voice. There seemed to be a steady decline in her technique. Some people speculate that the extra weight around her belly gave her diaphragm something to push up against which kept her muscles strong which in turn affected the quality of her voice. She never reworked her technique to compensate for the weight loss and her voice went into a slow steady spiral at an age when most opera singers are hitting their stride.

So some of her talent was physical and some was technique but those basic vocal cords.... she was just born born with those.

(why does diaphragm have a "g" in it..that's just plain dumb!)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-04-2017, 09:08 AM
(27-04-2017 08:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I like to learn about people's lives so a couple of days ago I was reading about Maria Callas, the opera singer, and watching some of her videos on youtube and invariably there were dozens of people claiming she was "sent by god" or was "god's gift to the world" or some other god invoked response. Drove me nuts.

Anyway, she lost 80 pounds when she was around 32 years old and it changed her voice. There seemed to be a steady decline in her technique. Some people speculate that the extra weight around her belly gave her diaphragm something to push up against which kept her muscles strong which in turn affected the quality of her voice. She never reworked her technique to compensate for the weight loss and her voice went into a slow steady spiral at an age when most opera singers are hitting their stride.

So some of her talent was physical and some was technique but those basic vocal cords.... she was just born born with those.

That's interesting. I wonder if that's why so many opera singers are on the heavy side? Also, the other day, you mentioned Barbra Streisand, who has one of the most beautiful singing voices I've heard. She could have improved her looks with a nose job, but always refused to do so, at least partly because she was afraid it might negatively affect her voice. For the record, I think the young Streisand was a stunning beauty with her nose just as it was. Can you tell I'm a fan?
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
27-04-2017, 09:30 AM
(27-04-2017 09:08 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 08:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I like to learn about people's lives so a couple of days ago I was reading about Maria Callas, the opera singer, and watching some of her videos on youtube and invariably there were dozens of people claiming she was "sent by god" or was "god's gift to the world" or some other god invoked response. Drove me nuts.

That's interesting. I wonder if that's why so many opera singers are on the heavy side? Also, the other day, you mentioned Barbra Streisand, who has one of the most beautiful singing voices I've heard. She could have improved her looks with a nose job, but always refused to do so, at least partly because she was afraid it might negatively affect her voice. For the record, I think the young Streisand was a stunning beauty with her nose just as it was. Can you tell I'm a fan?

Oh, another Babs fan. Thumbsup Yes, I love her early works. She was amazing. She reminded me of an exotic tropical bird when she was younger.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Definitely a mixture of talent and skill acquisition. I have a natural ear for music, but I had to study and practice to actually be able to use it for anything.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
27-04-2017, 03:25 PM
(27-04-2017 12:48 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Over and above the question of talent is the question of access to that talent. Writer's block is a thing. Something analogous often occurs in other fields. Talent may be naturally occurring but it can also very naturally not occur where before it had been plentiful. Talent is a little mysterious (albeit in an entirely natural way).

This is so true. When I've been stressed I can't take photos and I hate my cameras. Ill burry them under other stuff, it's like we had a fight. Ha ha.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post