Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2017, 05:59 PM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
(27-04-2017 11:32 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Definitely a mixture of talent and skill acquisition. I have a natural ear for music, but I had to study and practice to actually be able to use it for anything.

This is my experience as well. I don't have perfect pitch, but I've always had a good sense of relative pitch which only improved after time on the instrument.

I've read that certain genetic results, such the proportion of fast-twitch muscle cells one has, can affect the style of music or pieces that one learns. It seems to be the case with me. Through the 80s and most of the 90s, I pursued shred guitar as a musical goal, but never could get quite so fast or clean as the guitarists I admired.

Nowadays, I play more jazz and blues, and feel more comfortable inside my skin for it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2017, 02:37 AM
If I want to be the fastest runner in the world... I don't really have the body for it. So I can say that a Kenyan or an Ethiopian has more talent than me for that particular sport. But I can still work hard and run fast - just not as fast as they can. Do I have no talent?

Humans are adaptable. All of us can pretty much do things that humans can do - barring missing limbs or other such impediments. The variety of our body shapes, musculature and other stuff determines whether some of us will be better at doing certain things - someone with long legs and an even stride has advantages before even starting to train, but if that person doesn't train, they will still be left in the dust of someone less "talented", but with more motivation.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
This is just another "nature vs nurture" question and as is nearly always the case, the answer is a melding of "both" and "it depends".

There is also little relationship between what one finds interesting / compelling and what one has native talent for, which is why you can have people who think they are great at something and they actually suck, and they seem to be the only one who doesn't know how badly they suck.

I have a keen interest in certain kinds of music, particularly keyboard, particularly pipe organ. But the idea of it and the reality of it were two different things, and I let go of the dream some years back. Turns out I was a brilliant colorist and a decent sight reader, but have a poor sense of rhythm and am just clumsy enough to have a hard-stop limit on what I can achieve in terms of getting my fingers and feet to do what they need to, regardless of the amount of practice. Also, I seem to lack the wiring to properly and intuitively grasp music theory and chord progressions, which I eventually realized is a must if you're going to jump to a level of abstraction where you see and feel the music in a way that's not dependent on the relatively slow and error-prone mechanics of sight-reading. It's like the difference between speaking French directly, or while haltingly translating it in your head from English.

The reason I got off on my musical tangent is that I showed some early promise at the grade-school level, where I was briefly ahead of most of my peers, and my parents decided I was a musical prodigy. But the criteria for staying ahead is different as you move through the skill levels and I got stuck at the advanced intermediate level -- where, I suspect, a lot of people do, for lack of talent, patience, interest, or diligence, or some combination of all of them. But by then I had it in my head that I had a "god-given talent" that I was "wasting" if I didn't "use it" (inflict it on others). It wasn't until my early 50s that I finally put it to rest, and I haven't even missed it. Just the idea of it. But the reality? It's a great relief not to struggle to live up to someone else's notion of the value of what I have to contribute. I have stayed with what I am actually talented at and passionate about -- software development.

My stepson had a slightly different problem. He had more talent than I (his chosen instrument was piano), but his compulsive perfectionism led him to overreach and prematurely try to master the most complex and difficult compositions, to the exasperation of the retired concert pianist he took lessons from. He might have had the native talent to be a very good concert pianist, or at least a terrific hobbyist, but the way it fed into his perfectionism was such that he had to abandon it to save his sanity. And honestly, given his taste for atonal modern classical compositions, it saved mine as well ;-)
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
01-05-2017, 09:14 AM
(01-05-2017 08:32 AM)mordant Wrote:  But by then I had it in my head that I had a "god-given talent" that I was "wasting" if I didn't "use it" (inflict it on others).

Curiously, many of the people who say you are wasting a God-given talent don't even consider whether you would exercise it positively or negatively.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
01-05-2017, 10:06 AM
(25-04-2017 11:27 AM)no_reason Wrote:  What is your opinion about talent?

Talented and gifted people in some areas have some special gene or they work hard in this area or both of them?

Can someone who hasn't passion in area who has talent or someone has passion in an area who don't have talent?

If someone has passion in an area who don't have talent wouldn't he/she become good in this area?

Some people say that talent is hereditary and natural and you can't obtain it if you don't have it and some others that anyone can become good in the area who choose to involve if he/she works hard.

In my childhood the talents I had was maths and exact sciences (I was excellent at those subjects) and video games (I completed them in an hour and I had high scores at the age of 2 or 3 years old). If talent is natural and hereditary in maths and generally exacts sciences I was good because my parents are both chemistries and pharmacists but I also had talent in video games but none of my parents involved with video games and technology, but when my parents are kids video games didn't exist so I don't know.

What is your opinion about talent?

I see talent as raw potential. It cannot be useful without interest or putting some work into it. Conversely, one can, in-spite of relatively limited raw potential, acquire a higher level of skill than a talented person, who does not invest time and effort in it, through sheer passion and hard work.

That said, there are some areas , usually niche, where if you don't have it, you don't have it. The stuff of geniuses.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
(25-04-2017 11:27 AM)no_reason Wrote:  What is your opinion about talent?

Talented and gifted people in some areas have some special gene or they work hard in this area or both of them?

Can someone who hasn't passion in area who has talent or someone has passion in an area who don't have talent?

If someone has passion in an area who don't have talent wouldn't he/she become good in this area?

Some people say that talent is hereditary and natural and you can't obtain it if you don't have it and some others that anyone can become good in the area who choose to involve if he/she works hard.

In my childhood the talents I had was maths and exact sciences (I was excellent at those subjects) and video games (I completed them in an hour and I had high scores at the age of 2 or 3 years old). If talent is natural and hereditary in maths and generally exacts sciences I was good because my parents are both chemistries and pharmacists but I also had talent in video games but none of my parents involved with video games and technology, but when my parents are kids video games didn't exist so I don't know.

What is your opinion about talent?

My opinion about talent and a gift for a certain area of expertise is this. I have a natural gift for tennis. Growing up I was ranked #1 in the state through high school and most of college. Playing for so long I didn't feel the desire to take it any further as I was tired of it and did not want to spend my life devoted to something that I was not fully invested in even though it came easy to me.

I started playing guitar when I was 13. David Gilmour was my inspiration to learn how to play. Now... I can play guitar very well. But I will never be as good as David Gilmour no matter how hard I try. I have talent (that I had to teach myself) to be able to play. David Gilmour has a gift that comes naturally to him. Not saying that he didn't have to practice. Obviously he did. But he has a gift that I do not possess and never will.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
01-05-2017, 10:33 AM
There is talent in this because of practice. But there is more of a gift in being able to arrange the song and the ability to play that not too many can match. So I "personally" consider this more of a gift that you either were born with or not.

01-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Innate.

8 Child Prodigies So Amazing They'll Ruin Your Day

#sigh
01-05-2017, 10:40 AM
And speaking of gifted. These two videos explain it all to me. Talent? yes. Gifted? even more so.

[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
01-05-2017, 11:09 AM
(01-05-2017 10:40 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  And speaking of gifted. These two videos explain it all to me. Talent? yes. Gifted? even more so.

"It was almost as if he felt things so acutely he found it almost unbearable," Clapton said of Johnson's music.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post