Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 04:17 PM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
(01-05-2017 04:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 03:38 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Tina is good no doubt. But I personally consider her more talent than a gift of being able to play. I've watched all her videos and she is technical in every riff but there is no feeling to the way she plays. Not saying she's bad at all (quite the contrary) especially at her age. But she's no Jimi Hendrix who played with heart and had the gift.

To be fair, was Hendrix even playing guitar yet at her age? Give her time.

No. Hendrix started playing at age 15. She is very good. Extremely good if I'm honest and she knows the licks and the technical aspect of the guitar. Thing is... there are hundreds of her out there. I'm not saying she isn't talented by any stretch of the imagination because she is. But this is a conversation about either talent or (essentially) born with a gift. I believe talent in her case.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2017, 04:34 PM
(01-05-2017 04:17 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 04:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  To be fair, was Hendrix even playing guitar yet at her age? Give her time.

No. Hendrix started playing at age 15. She is very good. Extremely good if I'm honest and she knows the licks and the technical aspect of the guitar. Thing is... there are hundreds of her out there. I'm not saying she isn't talented by any stretch of the imagination because she is. But this is a conversation about either talent or (essentially) born with a gift. I believe talent in her case.

That's a bit confusing, because in my book, "talent" precisely equals being born with a gift. They are the same thing. Skill and proficiency are the words I would use for something that you were not born with, but acquire through a lot of hard work. She undoubtedly has skill and proficiency, but I suspect there's some talent there, too. I could not do what she does with any amount of practice.

In any event, what she is doing doesn't really appeal to me -- it seems like a lot of flash and not much substance. I'd much rather hear David Gilmour (one of your favorites) or Carlos Santana (one of mine) play 10 notes than hear her play a thousand.
01-05-2017, 04:45 PM
(01-05-2017 04:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  That's a bit confusing, because in my book, "talent" precisely equals being born with a gift. They are the same thing. Skill and proficiency are the words I would use for something that you were not born with, but acquire through a lot of hard work. She undoubtedly has skill and proficiency, but I suspect there's some talent there, too. I could not do what she does with any amount of practice.

In any event, what she is doing doesn't really appeal to me -- it seems like a lot of flash and not much substance. I'd much rather hear David Gilmour (one of your favorites) or Carlos Santana (one of mine) play 10 notes than hear her play a thousand.

I agree with what you are saying. And I also agree that I'd much rather hear Gilmour or Santana play. I suppose what I mean by some people have a "gift" meaning they are just born with it. Note Heather Russell I posted earlier. If you think she was taught to sing that good at that age I wouldn't buy it. She has a "gift" to be able to sing like that.

Talent comes from maybe having a semblance of a gift but requires practice to perfect. I go back to when I used to play tennis. I had to practice because the coaches made me. But it just came naturally to me. I knew what my opponent was most likely going to use against me and I knew what shot I wanted to hit.

When I picked up the guitar I had to practice. So I have some talent with the guitar but no gift that I was born with.

01-05-2017, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 08:27 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(01-05-2017 04:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 03:38 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Tina is good no doubt. But I personally consider her more talent than a gift of being able to play. I've watched all her videos and she is technical in every riff but there is no feeling to the way she plays. Not saying she's bad at all (quite the contrary) especially at her age. But she's no Jimi Hendrix who played with heart and had the gift.

To be fair, was Hendrix even playing guitar yet at her age? Give her time.

Yes, he was. But she has the benefit of standing on the shoulders of giants as part of her learning process. She clearly has much practice time in, too. Ascribing that to innate talent seems a bit much to me.
01-05-2017, 08:30 PM
One other thing... It's relatively easy to emulate someone that has already created the music. Creating your own music is a gift to the world.

[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
01-05-2017, 09:36 PM
(01-05-2017 08:30 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  One other thing... It's relatively easy to emulate someone that has already created the music. Creating your own music is a gift to the world.

I'm not half-bad as a guitarist, but it's much harder for me writing songs. I've played many thousands of hours, and written a couple of hundred songs. The latter is to me by far more challenging.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-05-2017, 10:18 PM
(01-05-2017 09:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 08:30 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  One other thing... It's relatively easy to emulate someone that has already created the music. Creating your own music is a gift to the world.

I'm not half-bad as a guitarist, but it's much harder for me writing songs. I've played many thousands of hours, and written a couple of hundred songs. The latter is to me by far more challenging.

Sadly.... I haven't written any songs. I don't possess the ability to put thoughts into words that would make a meaningful song (at least not yet). So that limits me to emulating the people that I admire. Hence the talent that I have and not the gift.

02-05-2017, 01:04 AM
(01-05-2017 10:18 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Sadly.... I haven't written any songs. I don't possess the ability to put thoughts into words that would make a meaningful song (at least not yet). So that limits me to emulating the people that I admire. Hence the talent that I have and not the gift.

But music is its own language. If you have trouble putting your thoughts into words, just put them into the music itself. A good half of my songs are instrumental, because I can't get the feelings right with pen and paper. And that's a good thing, bud -- feelings are best spoken in their native tongue.

Start grooving, and when you find something that rocks, remember it and build on it. Capture a mood.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-05-2017, 03:39 AM
(02-05-2017 01:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  But music is its own language. If you have trouble putting your thoughts into words, just put them into the music itself. A good half of my songs are instrumental, because I can't get the feelings right with pen and paper. And that's a good thing, bud -- feelings are best spoken in their native tongue.

Start grooving, and when you find something that rocks, remember it and build on it. Capture a mood.

I agree with this. I can sit for hours just strumming a few chord changes that sound good to me. Building on top of those is the part that I find difficult to build anything meaningful out of. I've never written an entire instrumental, just parts of one. If I could ever put one all together I'd die a happy man. I suppose it's a gift I don't possess. But you put a piece in front of me that someone else has written and, in actuality, has done the hard work and I can play it. So I have the talent to play just not the gift to write.

02-05-2017, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 03:56 AM by RearViewMirror.)
I taught this to my daughter when she was 5 on my Fender Stratocaster. She learned it in about 30 mins. Once she figured out that she could take a song that she heard and actually play that song she became obsessed.

Probably one of the easier songs to learn.

And yes... I even bought her a polka dotted strap for my guitar. Wink

[Image: 20120817_211941.jpg]