Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 06:20 AM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
My talents lie in the arts. I was about seven years old when a friend showed me his guitar and played a song he was learning. I watched and asked for a try,and, much to his surprise, I played the song he just played, note for note. I've been playing bass for years. I play by ear. I never learnt to write music because I couldn't be arsed. When I come up with a riff I just record quickly on Garageband, and work it out later into a song. I can also draw and paint, something I've done for as far back as I can remember.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
(25-04-2017 11:27 AM)no_reason Wrote:  What is your opinion about talent?

Talented and gifted people in some areas have some special gene or they work hard in this area or both of them?

When it comes to mental things, I don't see why people can't achieve anything, given the appropriate attitude and training, coaching, self determination and self belief. Growth mindset rather than fixed mindset.

When it comes to physical things then there can be some luck of the draw involved. However there are some amazing achievements made by people with disabilities.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
02-05-2017, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 03:04 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(02-05-2017 03:39 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 01:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  But music is its own language. If you have trouble putting your thoughts into words, just put them into the music itself. A good half of my songs are instrumental, because I can't get the feelings right with pen and paper. And that's a good thing, bud -- feelings are best spoken in their native tongue.

Start grooving, and when you find something that rocks, remember it and build on it. Capture a mood.

I agree with this. I can sit for hours just strumming a few chord changes that sound good to me. Building on top of those is the part that I find difficult to build anything meaningful out of. I've never written an entire instrumental, just parts of one. If I could ever put one all together I'd die a happy man. I suppose it's a gift I don't possess. But you put a piece in front of me that someone else has written and, in actuality, has done the hard work and I can play it. So I have the talent to play just not the gift to write.

You can do it, though. You can. No one is born a songwriter -- it takes work. But like practicing so your chops are sharp and you can nail that lick from a song, you can also build songwriting chops.

Believe me, many of those two hundred or so songs are entirely forgettable and will never be heard by anyone again, myself included. My first efforts stunk. But with practice, I got better at the craft.

You can do this too.

We could, if you like, carry this conversation to PMs, given that we're veering off-topic. But I'll be happy to share what I know if it's something you'd like.

(02-05-2017 03:50 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I taught this to my daughter when she was 5 on my Fender Stratocaster. She learned it in about 30 mins. Once she figured out that she could take a song that she heard and actually play that song she became obsessed.

Probably one of the easier songs to learn.

And yes... I even bought her a polka dotted strap for my guitar. Wink

[Image: 20120817_211941.jpg]

Next up: a Buddy Guy Signature Strat:

[Image: 511015000678000-00-500x500.jpg]

(02-05-2017 12:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 11:27 AM)no_reason Wrote:  What is your opinion about talent?

Talented and gifted people in some areas have some special gene or they work hard in this area or both of them?

When it comes to mental things, I don't see why people can't achieve anything, given the appropriate attitude and training, coaching, self determination and self belief. Growth mindset rather than fixed mindset.

When it comes to physical things then there can be some luck of the draw involved. However there are some amazing achievements made by people with disabilities.

Is this talent? Is this sheer determination? Is this devotion -- to craft or faith or whatever?

Probably a mix of all three. He was born with stubs for arms.

But he goddamned well went ahead with what he wanted, and worked to get there.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Other: "talent" is the result of natural propensities which are encouraged to develop in certain relatively narrow directions. The encouragement can be accidental/natural (environment), or deliberately entertained (study), or a combination of both.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
07-05-2017, 05:37 PM
well, nothing is not natural, so I am confused.
08-05-2017, 07:02 AM
(07-05-2017 05:37 PM)AB517 Wrote:  well, nothing is not natural, so I am confused.

I think if you read the title as "Is talent innate or acquired?" you'll get a better picture of what is meant.
22-05-2017, 03:46 PM
All the musical prodigies in history began studying from a very young age, when the brain is most malleable. This may explain the amazing "talent" in guys like Mozart.

Also, isn't it funny how the guys with "talent" are the hardest workers? As a teenager, Eddie Van Halen often played his unplugged electic guitar until 3am. Big Grin

No
[+] 3 users Like neurotibotical's post
22-05-2017, 03:48 PM
(02-05-2017 02:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 03:39 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I agree with this. I can sit for hours just strumming a few chord changes that sound good to me. Building on top of those is the part that I find difficult to build anything meaningful out of. I've never written an entire instrumental, just parts of one. If I could ever put one all together I'd die a happy man. I suppose it's a gift I don't possess. But you put a piece in front of me that someone else has written and, in actuality, has done the hard work and I can play it. So I have the talent to play just not the gift to write.

You can do it, though. You can. No one is born a songwriter -- it takes work. But like practicing so your chops are sharp and you can nail that lick from a song, you can also build songwriting chops.

Believe me, many of those two hundred or so songs are entirely forgettable and will never be heard by anyone again, myself included. My first efforts stunk. But with practice, I got better at the craft.

You can do this too.

We could, if you like, carry this conversation to PMs, given that we're veering off-topic. But I'll be happy to share what I know if it's something you'd like.

(02-05-2017 03:50 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I taught this to my daughter when she was 5 on my Fender Stratocaster. She learned it in about 30 mins. Once she figured out that she could take a song that she heard and actually play that song she became obsessed.

Probably one of the easier songs to learn.

And yes... I even bought her a polka dotted strap for my guitar. ;)

[Image: 20120817_211941.jpg]

Next up: a Buddy Guy Signature Strat:

[Image: 511015000678000-00-500x500.jpg]

(02-05-2017 12:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  When it comes to mental things, I don't see why people can't achieve anything, given the appropriate attitude and training, coaching, self determination and self belief. Growth mindset rather than fixed mindset.

Is this talent? Is this sheer determination? Is this devotion -- to craft or faith or whatever?

Probably a mix of all three. He was born with stubs for arms.

But he goddamned well went ahead with what he wanted, and worked to get there.

It's hard work. That's all. In my opinion, calling someone "talented" cheapens all the time and work they put into their craft.

No
[+] 2 users Like neurotibotical's post
22-05-2017, 06:55 PM
I agree ... but perhaps because I'm not so talented? Smile

Seriously, any skill takes lots of hard work; there's a reason why there's a Ten-thousand Hour Rule. The funny thing is, not all of the work happens with your hands. A lot of it is simply training your mind to focus on what it is you wish to express, and imagining your own approach to it.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
23-05-2017, 02:30 PM
(22-05-2017 06:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I agree ... but perhaps because I'm not so talented? Smile

Seriously, any skill takes lots of hard work; there's a reason why there's a Ten-thousand Hour Rule. The funny thing is, not all of the work happens with your hands. A lot of it is simply training your mind to focus on what it is you wish to express, and imagining your own approach to it.

I agree with all of this. I've always heard the 10k rule and to some extent that is true. Be it golf, baseball, or any instrument. When I picked up the guitar at age 13 I the very first thing I did was practice those four haunting notes on Shine on you crazy diamond. I did that over and over until I got them down then moved on to more intricate parts of the song. I played by ear until I learned to read tablature. I still to this day do not know how to read music but I don't really care. With a guitar sitting in my lap and just playing for hours and hours is therapeutic to me. Now I hear a song I like and it may take me days to a month or so to learn it. Will it be note for note perfect? No... But that's not the point. The point is I can play something that I previously didn't know how to play and make it my own. I find comfort in that. Music has always been a part of my life and always will.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post