Poll: What is your opinion?
Talent is natural and hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is natural but not hereditary and you can't obtain it however hard you try
Talent is acquired and you will obtain it with hard work
Talent can be both natural and acquired
Other (please explain)
I am not sure
[Show Results]

What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2017, 12:14 AM
RE: What is your opinion about talent? Is talent natural or acquired?
Talent can be natural and acquired. I feel as if I'm a natural at playing guitar.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Angra Mainyu's post
24-05-2017, 02:34 AM
My personal opinion? Couldn't care less. It's not relevant. You choose to do something and do it, if it comes easy great, you got talent so fucking what? You don't oh well just work harder you'll possibly still get there. The most important thing, never let people tell you what you can't fucking do, it's not their place to determine that, do your best and when you get to the end of your journey you'll know one way or another. Anyone who tries to place limits on you tho isn't worth your fucking time, they are just talkin out their ass and you can safely ignore those smelly fart noises coming from them. Best advice, throw them the fuck out of your life and find people that encourage you and build you up. And be the kinda person who encourages others and build them up too.

Will you be the best without talent? I got no fucking clue. Does it even matter? Just fucking do your best, nothing else matters.

To quote Blues Traveler
"There's no such thing as a failure who keeps trying,
coasting to the bottom is the only disgraces"

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
24-05-2017, 03:32 AM
(24-05-2017 02:34 AM)JesseB Wrote:  My personal opinion? Couldn't care less. It's not relevant. You choose to do something and do it, if it comes easy great, you got talent so fucking what? You don't oh well just work harder you'll possibly still get there. The most important thing, never let people tell you what you can't fucking do, it's not their place to determine that, do your best and when you get to the end of your journey you'll know one way or another. Anyone who tries to place limits on you tho isn't worth your fucking time, they are just talkin out their ass and you can safely ignore those smelly fart noises coming from them. Best advice, throw them the fuck out of your life and find people that encourage you and build you up. And be the kinda person who encourages others and build them up too.

Will you be the best without talent? I got no fucking clue. Does it even matter? Just fucking do your best, nothing else matters.

To quote Blues Traveler
"There's no such thing as a failure who keeps trying,
coasting to the bottom is the only disgraces"

You speak correctly

Sorry about my english
24-05-2017, 05:17 AM
I think oftentimes people tend to gravitate toward things they are naturally good at. That said, I think if you have an interest in doing something but no natural talent or ability in the area, you can work hard and still achieve your goals.

In the yoga tradition, it is believed that you should live your fiery purpose-whatever that is for you. You should go where you gravitate towards (what fills you and drives you) and work from there-from a space of natural talent or having to work a little extra harder to get to where you want to be.
24-05-2017, 07:09 AM
The great hitter Ted Williams often got annoyed at people saying, "He's a natural, the way he swings is so fluid and so powerful."

He got annoyed because those same people never saw the thousands and thousands of hours Williams put in during batting practice and off the field.

Same with someone like Neil Peart, arguably the finest rock drummer of a generation. He didn't just wake up one day with "chops." He worked and worked and worked, toured incessantly and worked some more.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
24-05-2017, 07:13 AM
(24-05-2017 07:09 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  The great hitter Ted Williams often got annoyed at people saying, "He's a natural, the way he swings is so fluid and so powerful."

He got annoyed because those same people never saw the thousands and thousands of hours Williams put in during batting practice and off the field.

Same with someone like Neil Peart, arguably the finest rock drummer of a generation. He didn't just wake up one day with "chops." He worked and worked and worked, toured incessantly and worked some more.

Totally agree, you have to put the work in-even with natural talent or ability in a particular area-to be the best at what you do.
25-05-2017, 03:48 PM
I think talent is natural, not necessarily hereditary even though your genes give you the ability, talent comes from both your predisposition and your history (your life) which will make this talent bloom or not. Also, then there is your own choice to use and develop this talent or not.

I think work can compensate lack of talent, but can not replace talent. Work can give you skill, and skill really helps, but in term of creativity, feelings are more important and in my opinion feelings are more linked to talent than to learning. In other terms : work give you the skill to express something, talent give you the key to have something to express. If you have the skill but not the talent, your creation will be tasteless, if you have the talent but not the skill, your creation will only stay to a basic level.

Otherwise, anybody who works extremely hard on his/her art would achieve masterpieces. We are not equal in talent, and personally I think it's a good thing. First, because art would lose its genius if you could become as good as anybody just by working very hard. I love being subdued by a piece of art, and think "how genius is that artist, how come he gets so perfect ideas". And second because inequality in term of talent brings diversity, and diversity is wealth. We probably all have our own talent at different levels, and finding people who have a talent you don't have, or complete your talent by theirs is very "rewarding" (well, maybe rewarding isn't the right word, but I can't find an appropriate word, not even in my mother tongue...see, writing has never been my talent !).
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
25-05-2017, 05:53 PM
(22-05-2017 03:46 PM)mikep987654321 Wrote:  Also, isn't it funny how the guys with "talent" are the hardest workers? As a teenager, Eddie Van Halen often played his unplugged electic guitar until 3am. Big Grin

Well yeah, but it never got him anywhere until someone told him that it could be plugged in. Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
29-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Its both. period.

And it can be either for some people, but not most. If you look a professional athletes, the were the best on the field wherever they played from the word go. Some had to work a little harder to be a little better and some didn't. The ones that didn't fit the mold will fit the bell curve.
29-05-2017, 08:41 AM
This thread provided some great discussion fodder with friends over the weekend. What came up was something that may not have been considered here (though I may have missed in in the 9 pages of responses):

It's not that the talent itself is natural or acquired; it's the ability to persevere that's the key. Now, whether that's natural or acquired may be another discussion, but I think that one's ability to continue practicing and not get discouraged when you don't feel you're improving is the important bit.

In any learning curve there's going to be a plateau in which continued effort doesn't appear to make much difference. This, of course, is normal and natural as one's brain & body incorporates learning. What I think is key is the perseverance during those times when work and practice seems dull and uninteresting and not paying dividends.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post