What is your opinion on "Church of Atheism" in London

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2013, 03:20 PM
What is your opinion on "Church of Atheism" in London
I mean, doesn't this go against what atheists believe in (Disbelieve in)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2013, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2013 04:09 PM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: What is your opinion on "Church of Atheism" in London
"Atheism Plus."
Instead of Atheism plus humanism, it's Atheism plus comedy club.

But using the word "church" is just such a terrible idea. It's like scientists using the word "God" as a place holder for something not readily explainable. It's just confusing, and gives legitimacy to the whole "god", and in this instance "church", concept.

I dislike anything that has "Atheism" as it's main pillar. I'd rather have reason, and empathy as its pillars. That way you can expect more decent people.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
15-10-2013, 04:20 PM
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. ~ Julius Marx

Yep, I'm a Marxist. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
15-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Depends upon how you look at it. I see it as a form of community and a way to interact with people who would otherwise be strangers.

But if one desires to claim that atheism is merely lack of belief in god/s, to say it makes no moral claim... just seems dang ironic, to make a moral claim, that this is wrong, based on your atheism. Tongue

So what do I think? Meh. But bound to fail - there's witchcraft involved. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2013, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2013 06:22 PM by Sam.)
It looks to be basically an atheist hippie club... Calling it a church is just a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

EDIT:

Either way I won't be attending... Looking at religion as a whole, the imaginary dude in the sky is only one small reason why I hate it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
15-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Good idea. Hate the name though I suppose it's a parody.
If people wanna get together have that whole church feel but (what looks to be) have a lot more fun than I say good on them.

Probably brings awareness to atheism, show's it in a light other than protests and snobby intellectuals. In a more friendly average Joe light that will appeal more to the masses.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-10-2013, 07:32 AM
I see no problem with it at all. It's not something that I would join, though.
16-10-2013, 08:44 AM
I think it would be a good idea to have a group to do things with and even have discussion on various topics.

However, the idea of "a church" is one I would not be interested in. Singing songs? All but one person facing one direction, listening to one person speak? Making it a form of "christian satire"? None of these things would be of interest to me.
16-10-2013, 09:15 AM
(15-10-2013 03:20 PM)Hjilm9a Wrote:  I mean, doesn't this go against what atheists believe in (Disbelieve in)

No but it is a silly idea. Defining your identity (and community) in terms of the non-existence of something is absurd. We don't have anti-astrology or non-Christian clubs and societies. Identity and community should be defined in terms of something positive, e.g. reason, philosophy, science, logic. Even a forum like this is poorly named and the forum structure betrays that in that there are subforums dedicated to philosophy and science. I would much rather be affiliated with something like the Skeptics Society or a Rationalist Society.

Atheism isn't an end in itself, minimally it should form part of a naturalistic worldview. Atheism per se is useless. Atheism isn't a sufficient guarantee of commitment to reason and evidence. It is possible to be an atheist and to believe in silly shit like ghosts and The Secret. I don't want to be in even the symbolic company of some village atheist that believes in something like homeopathy. Defining my identity or seeking a community that defines itself purely in terms of atheism risks putting me amongst that sort of person. I don't even like being amongst village atheists in general. I don't give a shit if anyone here regards that as elitist. If you are going to valorise reason and learning then there is a point at which the rubber meets the road. An atheistic society that believes in bunkum is just a horizontal move from a theistic society, nothing substantive has been achieved. One species of falsehood would merely have been supplanted by another.

If you disagree with anything here then present an argument don't just carry on that I am a snob, elitist, blah, blah, blah. That sort of post is not only impotent but it confirms my position on village atheism.
16-10-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm all for group get togethers. I attend one fairly regularly locally. But this idea of needing to call it a "church" and act in the same style is disturbing to me.

Don't we want to -move away- from this behavior?