What is your opinion on "Church of Atheism" in London

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 09:31 AM
RE: What is your opinion on "Church of Atheism" in London
(15-10-2013 10:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Probably brings awareness to atheism, show's it in a light other than protests and snobby intellectuals. In a more friendly average Joe light that will appeal more to the masses.

"[S]nobby intellectuals" that know how to use apostrophes.

Fuck the bar here is so low. So we are roughly at intermediate Australian primary school level, i.e. ~10 year-old. Also read his sig. closely.

[Image: iiLLU.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2013, 09:44 AM
u mAd bRah?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2013, 09:52 AM
I remember when I first saw this! I really love the idea, personally. One of the things that kept me going to church for a while was the social aspect. It's incredibly hard (read: near impossible) to find a regular gathering of non-religious folks in Alabama, I would have been there in a heartbeat if I had access to something like this in college. Also, I think calling it the atheist church would irritate some southern people in just the right way. >Smile

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
16-10-2013, 10:08 AM
I can't watch the video right now, but just that fact that it has "church" in the name means I wouldn't be attending.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
16-10-2013, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2013 10:39 AM by kim.)
(16-10-2013 09:15 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Identity and community should be defined in terms of something positive, e.g. reason, philosophy, science, logic. Even a forum like this is poorly named and the forum structure betrays that in that there are subforums dedicated to philosophy and science.

Mmyes - structure is quite compartmentalized on this forum - can't do much about that.

One of the things which brings many people to this particular forum is the podcast where the very end of the intro states "start thinking". This forum is more or less a cocktail party for some while for others, it is the one place they've been able to come, to even begin thinking. Many here are in transition - some quite shaky about their own thoughts - quite a few still in the closet in many situations. It has become a "community" of sorts and will continue to form itself.

(16-10-2013 09:15 AM)Chippy Wrote:  I would much rather be affiliated with something like the Skeptics Society or a Rationalist Society.

Thanks for the links - I'll check them out. I'm somewhat affiliated with a couple of local "atheist" type groups and things have been sporadically tight but most recently, changes have caused things to fall apart. I'm always looking for new ideas and people to bounce things off. And on the internet, I can hang out with people in my jammies. Thumbsup

(16-10-2013 09:15 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Atheism isn't an end in itself, minimally it should form part of a naturalistic worldview. Atheism per se is useless. Atheism isn't a sufficient guarantee of commitment to reason and evidence.

I agree. I would even say this same thing about belief, to a person who has a faith in a god.

It is difficult for many people to find common ground to simply "get together". I think many people seek community and want to get to know someone enough to share things with. You say, "Identity and community should be defined in terms of something positive," I think many here try to define themselves within this community which is already set up to accept them as they are, so far. And oddly... many are not used to such acceptance, let alone freedom to change or grow as they wish. For some this community itself may be the one positive thing they can come to where they do not feel pressured to be the one thing they are not.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Needs more beer and hard liquor. I think the only thing I saw there was hot tea.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
16-10-2013, 09:41 PM
What is your opinion on "Church of Atheism" in London
I might go once out of curiosity, but that's it. It looks boring. If there was hard liquor and scantily clad women I would be more inclined to go.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."