What is your reaction to this picture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 02:02 PM
RE: What is your reaction to this picture?
I should also add that thanks to reactions like mine, we have placed a stigma on using those carts. My wife broke her foot a few months back and it took quite a while to convince her to go to the store with me because she would have to use one rather than walking around in her cast. She didn't want to use it for fear of people thinking she was fat, and you know what? I don't blame her, I would have had the same reaction.

I should also say that needing one strictly for being obese is absurd. Especially if they drive that bad boy through the junk food isle and load-up on high-calorie and high-fat non-essential foods.

I had a physics lab instructor who was so fat that he would be out of breath through this sequence of steps.
1) stand-up off of his stool at the front of the room
2) Rotate to face the board
3) Take 1-2 steps to get slightly closer to the board
4) write on the board
5) turn around
6) sit down
= completely out of breath

It was pathetic. And that is him after he lost weight! He had to have an oxygen tank but that was too embarrassing, so he lost just enough weight so he did not have to carry it around, and not a pound more. I have no remorse for calling him a fat slob and a lazy asshole. I mean, the guys trash would be overflowing in his office with candy wrappers and he was too big to pick things up from too high or too low, so he had a claw. He would literally just sit at his desk and use his claw to grab things not within reach of his chubby arms. It also did not help that he was a condescending jerk who was a completely useless instructor, but firing him is difficult because of the length of time he has been there (he is not a professor so I don't think he has tenure).

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-09-2012, 02:24 PM
(25-09-2012 01:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Mine is curiosity. I wonder what has caused her to get so overweight that she needs assistance to shop the air conditioned, level pathways at Wally World.

The fact that she is right beside a rack of some kind of over processed food that's on sale for less than two bucks is telling. Perhaps she is poor, and can't afford to feed her family the over priced vegetables in the produce section. Perhaps she does indeed have a disease. Maybe she's lazy. Maybe she never had the opportunity to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle. Maybe she is content with the way she is and hasn't any desire to change.

My second is sadness. It must be difficult to live in her body, regardless of why she is the way she is. I can't empathize, never having been overweight myself, but I definitely know what it's like to live with something that restricts what you can do. It can be difficult and lonely.

My thoughts exactly, Stark.

It's unlikely that the issue is as simple as "she eats too much". That might be the bulk of it, but the habits that lead to that weight are probably generational (the overweight children behind her I'm assuming are hers or related to her, for example). It could be poor habits passed from generation to generation. It could be simply lack of access to healthy choices at an affordable price. It costs a lot more to feed a family on healthy food than craptastic mass-produced over-processed food that the body doesn't handle well... like enriched white bread as opposed to a good whole grain bread. It could be a result of poor education on what makes a good healthy meal.

Most likely it's a combination of all of that and more... not simply solved by putting the fork down. But yeah eating less and probably eating better foods is a good start.

That lady is unfortunately so overweight that she probably needs the scooter almost as much as your dad. My assumption is that she probably has more control over her condition than KC's dad, though. But it's sad, and she is probably not happy about it but not really able to get it under control.

But damn, people around here really love their fat-shaming!

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like kineo's post
25-09-2012, 02:29 PM
That's the reason why obese people just keep getting fatter. They don't want to walk off the pounds.
25-09-2012, 02:43 PM
(25-09-2012 02:29 PM)Freethinking Atheist Wrote:  That's the reason why obese people just keep getting fatter. They don't want to walk off the pounds.

Alas, if it were only that simple.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-09-2012, 03:40 PM
There are three eating disorders: anorexia, bulemia, and obesity. Each of these disorders involve psychological issues. Obesity in some may be due to thyroid condition. I am sure most of you are aware of the recent wave of criticism of a growing obesity problem in the US. That is true. Most of you by now have heard of the measures the Mayor of NY has taken to curb peoples freedoms by limiting consumption of soft drinks. I believe there is growing propaganda in the US to vilify the overweight, much like the propaganda that rose in the nineties and continues to target smokers. This is about politics: powerful insurance lobbyists. And while the health of the overweight is a concern to many of the overweight, my ethical sensibilities tell me to educate and teach my family about diet and exercise through example. Weight in the united States often follows class. I find this thread a bit disturbing.
[+] 2 users Like depat's post
25-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I dont have a reaction... she is an overweight lady who obviously feels she needs a buggy to move about the supermarket.

I did have a reaction after reading some of the posts mocking her.... but whatever....I think im in a PC mood today and im a hypocrite caus I do it sometimes myself.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
25-09-2012, 04:45 PM
My initial reaction was to call a marine biologist.

Ok nasty joke out of the way. My reaction was similar to starks. There's so many different reasons why someone can get to be like that, its really unfair to judge them.
25-09-2012, 04:50 PM
My reaction to this photo is that irregardless of whether her weight and size were due to medical conditions or she got to this point by another means, she is now in the position to need assistance and has helped herself to a service that provides this.

Maybe Walmart should provide more assistance with more ride-ons because there seems to be a demand from many of their customers.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
25-09-2012, 04:56 PM
(25-09-2012 01:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I saw her in Walmart the other day.

Initially, it makes me angry because my dad is handicap (has a disease) and cannot walk, and whenever we go into Walmart and try to find him an electric cart there aren't any because they are all in use (presumably by people like her).

After this initial reaction, though, I catch myself and feel bad for getting angry. I don't know her situation, and she could have a disease that makes her obese just like my dad has a disease that prevents him from walking.

On the other hand, she more than likely doesn't have a disease and got to the point she is by over eating her entire life.

Aha! Testing atheist compassion no doubt!Consider

Blame Yahveh, or by default Macca's AngelExclamation
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
25-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Mine is..I would like to help her. I would like to sit and talk with her, and see if she would like to talk to an Endocrinologist, and a Physical Therapist, and maybe my trainer. She could/would feel so much better, and have a different life. She likely just needs some support in making some changes. On the other hand, she may also may be perfectly content. It's not up to me to live her life.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)