What is your reaction to this picture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 04:51 AM
RE: What is your reaction to this picture?
BACK BOOBS!!!

I just had to...

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Karl's post
26-09-2012, 05:00 AM
I feel really bad for her. As someone who has never been fat but still spent her entire life struggling with body image issues (to the point that I'm pretty sure I've spent the past ten years on a diet), I can't understand how someone would knowingly allow themselves to get that big. Still for some reason I feel really bad when I see people like that. It makes me want to cry. I've always been overly sensitive to fat jokes, even though they weren't being made about me. I don't think I can react to that picture like a normal person. It just makes me want to cry.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
26-09-2012, 05:24 AM
not reading the entire last 5 pages but:
Some diseases do cause overweight. I know that because my mother is obese and that is because she has a hormon problem that has been diagnosed but not treated for some reason (she has a few other things, so maybe the medications wouldn't go well together?)
On the other hand, my reaction was "well america". As far as I get it America is the fattest country so far and I do not think that all obese people there have a condition apart from a big apetite and huge laziness that causes them to get fat. I hate to judge too fast but at least from the back she doesn't look sick, just immobile from her weight. Eat better and you'll be able to walk again... Know where I'm coming from?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2012, 07:29 AM
(25-09-2012 01:49 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Now that I think about it, she probably doesn't use a fork... she probably uses a trowel.

More like a JCB.
26-09-2012, 04:19 PM
(25-09-2012 10:29 PM)depat Wrote:  I gave a thoughtful post earlier, although your chosen topic is distasteful.

How?

It's about health.

Quote:Then I saw a sentence posted by Mr. Woof, "Aha testing atheist compassion no doubt." I considered then that you are likely, "testing." You are usually more informative and seemingly intelligent than the topic you chose for this thread; it is base.

That's just Woof.

You're being too analytical and a little judgmental towards me.

There isn't a thing wrong with this thread. Obesity is a real problem as is bigotry to the obese. I was interested in people's thoughts and reactions towards something as poignant as the picture.

Quote:I considered, If you are "testing" people's responses then you are very poor indeed in your ethics; if your not testing, you are poverty stricken in your ethics. Thus, the comment above. I am sorry if this caused confusion.

Get off your high horse and quit feigning your own piety. It has nothing to do with ethics or testing. It's a simple topic about an issue.

Quote:Actually You commented on something I posted, can't remember. And I have been on many threads you've posted on.

Sorry, I haven't noticed you until now.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-09-2012, 08:18 PM
(26-09-2012 04:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 10:29 PM)depat Wrote:  I gave a thoughtful post earlier, although your chosen topic is distasteful.

How?

It's about health.

Quote:Then I saw a sentence posted by Mr. Woof, "Aha testing atheist compassion no doubt." I considered then that you are likely, "testing." You are usually more informative and seemingly intelligent than the topic you chose for this thread; it is base.

That's just Woof.

There isn't a thing wrong with this thread. Obesity is a real problem as is bigotry to the obese. I was interested in people's thoughts and reactions towards something as poignant as the picture.

Quote:I considered, If you are "testing" people's responses then you are very poor indeed in your ethics; if your not testing, you are poverty stricken in your ethics. Thus, the comment above. I am sorry if this caused confusion.

Get off your high horse and quit feigning your own piety. It has nothing to do with ethics or testing. It's a simple topic about an issue.

Quote:Actually You commented on something I posted, can't remember. And I have been on many threads you've posted on.

I think not!
Why not direct your moral considerations towards Yahweh, whom you assume engineered all this crap anyway.........anyhow thanks for the rare direct answer.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
26-09-2012, 08:23 PM
(25-09-2012 01:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  My initial reaction was: Typical day at Walmart.

I try not to go there. Unfortunately, the other day I went there for electronics since they're the ONLY place open 24/7 here in town.

I went in, and was bombarded by 2 people (who looked much like the initial post). I was leaving the isle and they blocked my way going "OH well EXCUSE ME." as if somehow I was the asshole. Errr hi I was here first, not my fault you're pulling an austin powers to get out of the aisle here.... but it wasn't 1, it was 2 of them, a couple. Buzzing around.

What does crack me up, however, is that those things beep as they back up.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
26-09-2012, 08:31 PM
What is your reaction to this picture?
(26-09-2012 04:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

How?

It's about health.

That's just Woof.

The thread is a good one.
I just find you distasteful. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-09-2012, 09:23 PM
I am not even going there on the issue of obesity again...that didn't go well last time it was covered.

But I do find it a bit annoying that people in these motorized carts (whether they need them or not) think they have the damn right-of-way in the store and you have to bob and weave to keep from getting run over. I have been in that position a few times too many...therefore, I no longer go to Walmart unless I only need one specific item.

Between stockers acting like the customers are an inconvenience, and people trying to maim me with their electronic carts, Walmart has become like going through an obstacle course. We won't mention running brats that have apparently been abandoned there.

I am new Target convert also awaiting the completion of a new Kroger Supercenter here in town.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-09-2012, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 11:58 PM by depat.)
K.C. to depat: "Get off your high horse and quit feigning your own piety. It has nothing to do with ethics or testing. It's a simple topic about an issue."
K.C to depat: "Obesity is a real problem as is bigotry to the obese."

I'll do the best I can: Your argument is made up of three distinct reactions, initial reaction, your consideration, and your final comment, "On the otherhand. . .".

Ill show you how you set up the obese as a target:

1. In your first initial introduction to the thread, you set up a target, the obese: The statement: "Initally it makes me angry," and "people like her" produce very negative cannotations about the condition of this person. This is targeting. You also directed viewers to a visual of an obese woman riding a cart. Don't you know that making fun of obese people goes back to our earliest history (rhetorical)? We all know making fun of the obese is open season. We have all heard it, and seen it. Amidst this atmosphere, the picture does not evoke the "poignancy" you claim. Deliberately or not this is what you initally set up.

2. Your second reaction, in your "consideration," you [caught yourself] thinking there may be another reason this woman is in the chair, showing some deeper thinking; you questioned, maybe she is Ill? You degraded this position for serious consideration toward an illness with your concluding, "on the other hand".

3. Your comment "on the other hand" directs readers back to your first target reaction, nulifying your "consideration", as you conclude, "she more than likely doesn't have a disease and got to the point she is by over eating her entire life." You certainly indicate your final judgement on this person.

I think it is apparent by the way you set up your 3 reactions in your first post that anyone would agree that your main concern is not for the health of the this woman/the obese. Due to these obvious problems, I do not believe you when you now say this is about your concern that "Obesity is a real problem as is bigotry to the obese." The way you presented your 3 reactions were signs pointing directly to fun making, bigotry. This is not a "simple issue." Your chosen topic is a presentation to argument where ethics can certainly be argued.

I believe you knew what you were doing when you set up the order of your three reactions; and of course, if you did this out of ignorance, you still set the pace for bigotry--your path. Thus my comment (albiet terse) aimed at your ethics. About health? No, the way you set up your reactions point in another direction just as they pointed the way for others.

I did regret being so acerbic as soon as I posted my comment on your ethics. I make it a point to be true to myself and others, that is, I said it and so it is a part of me, and I owe it to myself and all others to see me. Pious, that's a hard one--leaning toward likely (never considered it before, I'll work on it; it may be too intrenched.

I do not disregard people's responses. I believe Woof made a good observation.
[+] 2 users Like depat's post