What is your ultimate authority?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.2 Average
05-10-2014, 03:34 PM
RE: What is your ultimate authority?
(05-10-2014 03:25 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 03:19 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  My ultimate authority is both my own moral code and the society in which I live in. I derive my own moral code from everything around me, my experiences, my self, and society.

We must all abide by the laws that our society has built as if we do not, everything will fail. Our laws are built off the people composed of individuals; therefor, the most ultimate authority is yourself and those in which influence you.

A moral code isn't an ultimate authority. What is the absolute base for your beliefs?

What beliefs?

I believe I am going to go outside and play with my dogs now, based on the gorgeous weather and their silly antics.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-10-2014, 03:40 PM

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-10-2014, 03:46 PM
(05-10-2014 03:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Ten hours, twelve minutes and forty seconds of pure listening pleasure. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-10-2014, 03:47 PM
(05-10-2014 03:11 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 03:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Havarti cheese is excellent. Why am I in my thirties and just now discovered it?

My parents visited from the UK and gave us a big lump of cheddar. We can't get it here in Germany nor can we bring any back with us overwise it melts on the plane. So I get to eat it once or twice a year.

Just simple cheddar but it's like the food of kings to us.

You poor thing! Cheddar is a daily staple in my diet. I couldn't imagine not having it. I discovered other cheeses because I was bored with cheddar.

How do you survive?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
05-10-2014, 03:47 PM
(05-10-2014 03:25 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 03:19 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  My ultimate authority is both my own moral code and the society in which I live in. I derive my own moral code from everything around me, my experiences, my self, and society.

We must all abide by the laws that our society has built as if we do not, everything will fail. Our laws are built off the people composed of individuals; therefor, the most ultimate authority is yourself and those in which influence you.

A moral code isn't an ultimate authority. What is the absolute base for your beliefs?

1. Yes it is.

2. A persons moral code shapes their beliefs more so than anything else when you do not derive everything from a book.

3. Read the above and that will tell you what my ultimate authority is.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
05-10-2014, 03:49 PM
(05-10-2014 03:25 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  A moral code isn't an ultimate authority. What is the absolute base for your beliefs?

As has been pointed out to you on countless occasions, most of us don't think only in terms of absolutes.

The fact that you can only think in absolutes shows that you lack certain mental functions that most people have. Much like someone who is autistic not realising that other people will have different perceptions, or a sociopath being unable to comprehend empathy, or someone who is unable to create mental images in their mind.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
05-10-2014, 03:54 PM
(05-10-2014 03:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You poor thing! Cheddar is a daily staple in my diet. I couldn't imagine not having it. I discovered other cheeses because I was bored with cheddar.

How do you survive?

We subsist.

Actually they do have nice slices of cheese here but it's more expensive. I like slices of Gouda cheese and Maasdamer. Very handy for sandwiches. But unfortunately you just can't seem to buy big chunks of cheese. It means that we can't make omlettes.
05-10-2014, 04:01 PM
(05-10-2014 03:49 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 03:25 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  A moral code isn't an ultimate authority. What is the absolute base for your beliefs?

As has been pointed out to you on countless occasions, most of us don't think only in terms of absolutes.

The fact that you can only think in absolutes shows that you lack certain mental functions that most people have. Much like someone who is autistic not realising that other people will have different perceptions, or a sociopath being unable to comprehend empathy, or someone who is unable to create mental images in their mind.

I understand that everyone has different perceptions. In fact, that is a very good proof of God. We couldn't know reality without an absolute knower, since everyone percieves it differently.

Truth seeker.
05-10-2014, 04:05 PM
The FSM

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
05-10-2014, 04:22 PM
(05-10-2014 04:05 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  The FSM

...what? Hobo
Do you think I'm a bot or something? Facepalm

Truth seeker.