What is your ultimate authority?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.2 Average
05-10-2014, 08:39 PM
RE: What is your ultimate authority?
(05-10-2014 05:10 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 01:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  If you don't have one, your position is absurd.

Reality.

Have a theory about how the universe works? Check it against reality. Have a theory about whether something exists? Find some way to test to see if it's anywhere in reality. Have a theory about antigravity? Check to see if it works in reality. Have a theory about an awesome bearded dude in the sky? Find a way to check if he's there in reality... and I mean actually check, not staring at our navels and pontificating from our armchairs. If he isn't, then he doesn't exist as described, and if there's no way to check, it's unknowable. Whether our experiment plays out in reality the way we guessed it would, or whether we find what we expect to find when we go looking for it, that's how we know our guesses and hypotheses are true.

EDIT: And yeah, it's getting really difficult to take anything Diddo posts seriously.

Reality, as percieved by whom? Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 09:08 PM
(05-10-2014 01:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  If you don't have one, your position is absurd.

That is an interesting question.

"Ultimate" implies a hierarchy. So in order of have an ultimate, you have to make some conscious decisions to order things.

How you order things is really going to depend on what you find important. It could be possible for God to exist AND for him to not be the ultimate authority, depending on what you find to be authoritative.

As an atheist I don't consider anything to be an ultimate anything. Authority is contextual. How much credence I am willing to give to something depends on a lot of things; legitimacy, evidence, consensus, ect. I think if you are willing to back off from certain, infallible, binary truth that there are no contradictions. There are no black and whites in my world views, at best very dark and very light shades of gray (if you'll excuse the metaphor).
05-10-2014, 09:34 PM

Oh please, do masturbate for us some more! Evil_monster

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
05-10-2014, 09:41 PM
I just had a fun thought about all of us!

Christians will always point their finger and claim that other Christians are not true Christians. Catholics do not believe in Mormons and Orthodoxy might point their finger and claim that baptists from over there as being not true Christians. This is most true when people do bad things. No Christian could ever do a bad deed, if they do, they were not true Christians. Not all of them think this way, but many do.

No matter what Atheist you talk to on the planet, no matter who you ask: There is not a single atheist who will ever claim another one of us as being not true Atheists!

The only exception is when we detect a poe.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
05-10-2014, 09:48 PM
My ultimate authority is a combination of genetic predispositions and experiences perceived through the lenses of those predispositions, eventually leading to a choice which I irrationally define as free will.

'Murican Canadian
05-10-2014, 10:04 PM
(05-10-2014 01:10 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 01:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Exactly, so you just follow the evidence and see where it takes you. Your position is meaningless all that matters is reality, which is counterintuitive more often than not.

So, your ultimate authority is evidence? Evidence, as interpreted by whom? Everyone is going to interpret it differently.

You mean like everyone interprets the Bible differently?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
05-10-2014, 10:07 PM
(05-10-2014 08:39 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 05:10 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Reality.

Have a theory about how the universe works? Check it against reality. Have a theory about whether something exists? Find some way to test to see if it's anywhere in reality. Have a theory about antigravity? Check to see if it works in reality. Have a theory about an awesome bearded dude in the sky? Find a way to check if he's there in reality... and I mean actually check, not staring at our navels and pontificating from our armchairs. If he isn't, then he doesn't exist as described, and if there's no way to check, it's unknowable. Whether our experiment plays out in reality the way we guessed it would, or whether we find what we expect to find when we go looking for it, that's how we know our guesses and hypotheses are true.

EDIT: And yeah, it's getting really difficult to take anything Diddo posts seriously.

Reality, as percieved by whom? Drinking Beverage

Ourselves, obviously. Which is something that even Sye "I've had a personal revelation" Ten can't get away from. (How can he be sure that revelation was real?)

And I'm done with you. You've had us answer these questions again and again and again. Until you actually respond to this critique, which is far more than you deserve, and which actually ADDRESSES what you're trying to argue here, it's clear that you don't give a damn about our responses. And if you don't care? I'm not going to spend any effort on you, and I'd suggest that no one else spend any effort on you either.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
05-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Diddo,

I'm not sure what you mean by authority. If you mean what is the ultimate source of knowledge then existence is my authority and reason is my means of discovering it. If you mean by authority the ultimate guide of my choices and actions then it is my judgement guided by reason. If you mean who am I accountable to then it is natural law that is the authority.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
05-10-2014, 10:19 PM
(05-10-2014 01:17 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 01:14 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  1) Assumption that everyone has an ultimate authority.
2) Stating without any explanation why if you don't have an ultimate authority then your position is absurd.
3) Not defining what an ultimate authority actually is.

1. If you don't have one, how can you know anything? You have no basis
2. See 1
3. An authority that is the basis for all your beliefs.

I see. I understand what you are getting at now. The basis for my belief is the axioms "existence", "identity" and "consciousness" and the primacy of existence. That is my base for all knowledge and it is the only proper base for knowledge. Not a storybook or a feeling or a conscious desire. you know when the Bible talks about building one's house on a solid foundation instead of sand? The axioms are that solid foundation.

I can know things and be certain because existence exists, I posses a consciousness able to know it and the things that exist are what they are and do what they do independent of anyone's conscious feelings or desires or wishes. That is the basis for my knowledge Diddo, not pretending to know what I don't know.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
06-10-2014, 01:41 AM
nothing, I heed to no ultimate authority what so ever

I only listen to what the evidence says, if it has no evidence behind it then I classify it as unproven and not worth my time
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post