What is your ultimate authority?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.2 Average
06-10-2014, 03:47 AM
RE: What is your ultimate authority?
(05-10-2014 04:22 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Do you think I'm a bot or something? Facepalm

It's possible to write a bot that appears more intelligent than you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
06-10-2014, 03:50 AM
(06-10-2014 03:47 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 04:22 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Do you think I'm a bot or something? Facepalm

It's possible to write a bot that appears is more intelligent than you.

FTFY
Angel

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
06-10-2014, 06:11 AM
I wonder if someone tells him what he wants to hear will he fuck off?
06-10-2014, 06:30 AM
No, he comes here because he likes being pathetic and humiliated. Probably it gives him brownies from his god to be belittled because of his faith, as well as a personal thrill.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-10-2014, 06:42 AM
(05-10-2014 01:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  [What is your ultimate authority?]
If you don't have one, your position is absurd.

An authority in the sense meant here, I think, means an arbiter of truth. So in context I think the question you are asking is:
"What is your ultimate arbiter of truth?"

The test for whether or not something is an ultimate arbiter of truth must be that the information coming from that arbiter is capable of reversing well-cherished and deeply held beliefs. To be considered an arbiter something must:
1. Have a means of communicating information to you, and
2. That you are compelled to change your beliefs based on that information.

Perhaps most concretely put your question is:
"What could make you change your mind?"

Reason and evidence could change my mind about the existence of a god. What could change your mind? If you don't have anything that could change your mind, as you say, your position is absurd.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 7 users Like Hafnof's post
06-10-2014, 08:27 AM
[Image: 2hzlbbt.jpg]

You need to put more effort into it, Diddo.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-10-2014, 08:40 AM
I would love to have an honest talk about morality and where it comes from. I would love to talk about the way that we process and comrehend the universe. But I am disappointed to find that this isn't what you want.

You're falling back on the "absolute truth" and logic arguments. To sum up what I've said earlier on these subjects, absolute truth does not exist outside of mathematics and other systems which are clearly defined, and that math and logic are tools created in minds to deal with the universe we find ourselves in. God is not required. And you have provided no reason to believe that he is other than "it would be convenient if he were." That isn't a valid argument. It would be convenient if I could materialize bagels out of thin air while I was studying, that doesn't mean I can.

Either put a reason to believe your god exists or don't. I don't care. But stop pretending you have some knock-out argument when every point can be refuted by a freshman philosophy student.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
06-10-2014, 08:58 AM
(06-10-2014 03:47 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

It's possible to write a bot that appears more intelligent than you.

Holy carp, someone recoded ELIZA to be a presup apologist!
06-10-2014, 09:12 AM
(05-10-2014 03:02 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You haven't provided anything against my argument. You've just baselessly dismissed it. You have to refute it, because I'm attacking the base of your beliefs.

You haven't provided any argument, only assertions. And most of us don't have "beliefs". you're the one with beliefs. Atheists are defined by their lack of belief.
06-10-2014, 10:45 AM
To quote Adam Savage.

"I have concluded through careful, empirical analysis and much thought that somebody is looking out for me. Keeping track of what I think about things, forgiving me when I do less then I ought, giving me strength to shoot for more than I think I am capable of. I believe they know everything that I do and think and they still love me and I’ve concluded after careful consideration that this person keeping score is me." - Mythbusters host Adam Savage, speaking at the Reason Rally.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 3 users Like Winterwolf00's post