What is your ultimate authority?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.2 Average
07-10-2014, 02:05 PM
RE: What is your ultimate authority?
(07-10-2014 01:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:54 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Well.. there's also no authority stopping them from doing that, either. So there's that.

Plus... where is the evidence for some/an 'Ultimate' authority doing anything?

Much cheers to all.

Evidence presupposes an ultimate authority.

The standard presup horseshit answer. You don't have anything of substance to say so you'll just throw that kind of crap at it. You're fucking lame.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2014, 02:07 PM
(07-10-2014 01:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:54 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Well.. there's also no authority stopping them from doing that, either. So there's that.

Plus... where is the evidence for some/an 'Ultimate' authority doing anything?

Much cheers to all.

Evidence presupposes an ultimate authority.

The ultimate authority is reality. You ought to experience it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-10-2014, 02:08 PM
(07-10-2014 01:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Evidence presupposes an ultimate authority.

*Looks about*

Wait... what 'evidence'...?

(07-10-2014 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Evidence presupposes an ultimate authority.

When ever I read a reply/comment like this I always think of the meme "GRAVITY! It's the LAW!" (Usually with a picture of some one about to face-plant from some great height, usually in a painfully hilarious way). Big Grin

Much cheers to all.
07-10-2014, 02:40 PM
(07-10-2014 01:47 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:41 AM)Ace Wrote:  I only listen to what the evidence says, if it has no evidence behind it then I classify it as unproven and not worth my time

What gives you the authority to do that? Drinking Beverage

Meaningless response.

(07-10-2014 01:48 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  What could change your mind about reason and evidence? Drinking Beverage

Meaningless response.

(07-10-2014 01:49 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Claiming lack of belief is contradictory. You have a belief that you have no belief ...

Wrong.

(07-10-2014 01:50 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Except that you have to use logic to know anything about logic.

Meaningless response.

Wrong.

Well done. You've mastered grammar and the art of putting words together into sentences. Next step is to make them mean something. Only then will you start being able to communicate with other people.
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
07-10-2014, 03:57 PM

#sigh
07-10-2014, 04:18 PM
So you take ultimate authority from a perfect being that doesn't care about you because you're a piece of shit sinner.

Buy a bullet. Rent a gun.
07-10-2014, 08:11 PM
(07-10-2014 01:50 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 08:40 AM)natachan Wrote:  I would love to have an honest talk about morality and where it comes from. I would love to talk about the way that we process and comrehend the universe. But I am disappointed to find that this isn't what you want.

You're falling back on the "absolute truth" and logic arguments. To sum up what I've said earlier on these subjects, absolute truth does not exist outside of mathematics and other systems which are clearly defined, and that math and logic are tools created in minds to deal with the universe we find ourselves in. God is not required. And you have provided no reason to believe that he is other than "it would be convenient if he were." That isn't a valid argument. It would be convenient if I could materialize bagels out of thin air while I was studying, that doesn't mean I can.

Either put a reason to believe your god exists or don't. I don't care. But stop pretending you have some knock-out argument when every point can be refuted by a freshman philosophy student.

Except that you have to use logic to know anything about logic. You're thinking in a circle.

*eye twitch*

Did you even read what I wrote? Logic is a tool made in the mind of intelligent beings in order to deal with the world we find ourselves in. I'm sure there's a neuroscientist somewhere who can explain it better.

Logic isn't a rule. It won't transcend humans. It isn't absolute.

It is a tool. Created by intelligent beings. It is evidence of an intelligent observer, not an intelligent designer.
07-10-2014, 08:44 PM
I don't even bother to read his shit any more it's so devoid of intellect and I know that his response (when he is not evading) will be similarly devoid of any substance or thought. He's a troll guys, you will never once get an actual conversation out of him because he knows he is wrong. He knows he is obviously, clearly, and demonstrably wrong. Which is why he says what he does, because it is SO stupid that we have little choice but to attack it and get frustrated by his continued act of dishonest and idiotic propping up of arguments he knows to be wrong for the sake of controversy. He is a drama whore, a man drooping blood is a shark tank to watch the waves roll.
He is fully aware his position is idiotic, but he needs the attention and I don't blame him.....this is as close as he will get to an accomplishment is his life.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM

I'll give you one point for finding a way to tie two of your bullshit talking points together, but then I'll take away two for you being stupidly presuppositional.

[Image: Tryhardertryagain_zps99d26e60.jpg]
07-10-2014, 08:57 PM
(07-10-2014 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Reality, as percieved by whom? Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.