What is your ultimate authority?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.2 Average
09-10-2014, 12:27 PM
RE: What is your ultimate authority?
(09-10-2014 11:59 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:57 AM)pablo Wrote:  I am my own ultimate authority and you are yours Diddo.

Once again, you can't create universes. Is a serial killer perfectly justified?

Hmmm, interesting approach. I think I'll try my hand at it...

Diddo, can you create universes? If not, then God cannot exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 12:30 PM
(09-10-2014 12:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:59 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Once again, you can't create universes. Is a serial killer perfectly justified?

Who said my ultimate authority can create universes? Where is this laid out for me to experience or note as a form of evidence?

Don't be so obtuse. Shocking

You can't have evidence, logic, or reason without an Ultimate Authority™. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 02:29 PM
(08-10-2014 09:23 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 08:36 AM)Zippo Wrote:  I am my own ultimate authority in the same way you are your own ultimate authority.

Ok, let's do a test. Create a universe in front of you. No? Then you're not an ultimate authority.

You are determining what the test to be an ultimate authority is to you. Therefore you are your own ultimate authority just as I am my own.
[+] 2 users Like Zippo's post
09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
(09-10-2014 11:59 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Once again, you can't create universes. Is a serial killer perfectly justified?

Meaningless response.
09-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Diddo, anyone who owns a copy of Garry's Mod or Minecraft or a modeling/posing program can create a universe in our computers. Therefore, humans are a race of ultimate authorities.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
09-10-2014, 05:39 PM
(07-10-2014 01:48 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 06:42 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  An authority in the sense meant here, I think, means an arbiter of truth. So in context I think the question you are asking is:
"What is your ultimate arbiter of truth?"

The test for whether or not something is an ultimate arbiter of truth must be that the information coming from that arbiter is capable of reversing well-cherished and deeply held beliefs. To be considered an arbiter something must:
1. Have a means of communicating information to you, and
2. That you are compelled to change your beliefs based on that information.

Perhaps most concretely put your question is:
"What could make you change your mind?"

Reason and evidence could change my mind about the existence of a god. What could change your mind? If you don't have anything that could change your mind, as you say, your position is absurd.

What could change your mind about reason and evidence? Drinking Beverage

Let me put it this way:
In order to change your mind information must enter your mind and you must be convinced by it. Therefore, information coming into your mind is the only thing that can change your mind. Ie, reason and evidence are the only things that can change anyone's mind. My mind can be changed by reason and evidence, but your position is fixed.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
09-10-2014, 05:52 PM
You should ask, "what is your ultimate barrier?"
Your answer clearly would be God. What else is blocking you from real discussion? You already admitted you don't follow any religion but refuse to give a clear answer of what god is to you. If you're legitimate or not, it just sounds made up.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
09-10-2014, 05:53 PM
(09-10-2014 11:59 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:57 AM)pablo Wrote:  I am my own ultimate authority and you are yours Diddo.

Once again, you can't create universes.

Speak for yourself.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
10-10-2014, 12:43 AM
I almost feel like we could be debating how fast the Millennium Falcon could move and dildo there would be saying "But you can't move as fast as the Millennium Falcon"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-10-2014, 07:01 AM
(10-10-2014 12:43 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I almost feel like we could be debating how fast the Millennium Falcon could move and dildo there would be saying "But you can't move as fast as the Millennium Falcon"

No, he would say "the Millennium Falcon cannot move that fast without an Absolute Mover" and "You know an Absolute Mover exists, you just don't want to admit it".
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post