What is your ultimate authority?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.2 Average
23-10-2014, 05:43 PM
RE: What is your ultimate authority?
(23-10-2014 07:12 AM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  Reality

noooooooooooooooo don't get sucked into the void of death, the master of word salad, the keeper of delusion, the wielder of circular reasoning....diddo.

Run, run now to another thread, any thread, just don't respond...those are seconds of your life you will never get back..

Weeping

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Do you expect someone to be convinced by someone else's perceptions, diddo, or their own perceptions?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-10-2014, 08:30 PM
From what I'm getting from this post is that you need to be a perfect being who knows everything in order to be an ultimate authority, which is flawed in its premise.

I can say I am my own ultimate authority. The way diddo defined an ultimate authority, it is the last thing you go to for your basis of beliefs.

I am my own ultimate authority because I have the last say in what I believe. I may not be perfect, but in order to assert a God is an ultimate authority, like diddo has done, you must provide evidence for that.

Worship Slaves
23-10-2014, 11:54 PM
SIAP, didn't go through all the previous pages.

"Prayer doesn't work because someone out there is listening, it works because someone in here is listening. I've paid attention. I've pictured what I want to happen in my life. I've meditated extensively on my family, my future, my past actions and what did and didn't work for me about them. I've looked hard at problems and thought hard about their solutions.

See, I order my life by the same mechanism that I use to build things. I cannot proceed to move tools around in the real world until my brain has a clear picture in it of what I'm building. The same goes for my life. I've tried to pay attention. I've tried to picture the way I want things to be, and I've noticed that when I had a clear picture, things often turned out the way I wanted them to.

I've concluded by this that someone is paying attention—I've concluded that it's me. I've noticed that if I'm paying attention to those around me, to myself, to my surroundings, then that is the very definition of empathy. I've noticed that when I pay attention, I'm less selfish, I'm happier—and that the inverse holds true as well."
-Adam Savage

Original Source
[+] 1 user Likes Smoozie's post
24-10-2014, 03:38 AM
It would seem that people with this delusion of some kind of higher authority don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. They want to scapegoat all responsibility to something else and place themselves under this authority to falsely prop themselves up as if to say "Don't mess with me. I have someone powerful in my corner."

I find this kind of thinking to be purely delusional and brought about by fear. Most religious people are simply very fearful of the real world. Its why they indulge in fantasy so much.

Mental children on the inside who never felt safe unless a sky daddy was watching over them.

Just sad really

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
24-10-2014, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2014 05:19 AM by TheInquisition.)
(23-10-2014 08:30 PM)ecksperience Wrote:  From what I'm getting from this post is that you need to be a perfect being who knows everything in order to be an ultimate authority, which is flawed in its premise.

I can say I am my own ultimate authority. The way diddo defined an ultimate authority, it is the last thing you go to for your basis of beliefs.

I am my own ultimate authority because I have the last say in what I believe. I may not be perfect, but in order to assert a God is an ultimate authority, like diddo has done, you must provide evidence for that.

What's really telling about diddo's posts is that he despises this god, it's obviously just a reflection of himself, he just can't seem to figure out that he's fighting his own internal imaginings. I don't know if I pity him for this mental torture chamber that he's constructed for himself or am simply fed up with his inanity.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
24-10-2014, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2014 05:21 AM by TheInquisition.)
(24-10-2014 03:38 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It would seem that people with this delusion of some kind of higher authority don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. They want to scapegoat all responsibility to something else and place themselves under this authority to falsely prop themselves up as if to say "Don't mess with me. I have someone powerful in my corner."

I find this kind of thinking to be purely delusional and brought about by fear. Most religious people are simply very fearful of the real world. Its why they indulge in fantasy so much.

Mental children on the inside who never felt safe unless a sky daddy was watching over them.

Just sad really

I just watched this documentary called Kumare' on Netflix about a guy that fakes being a guru and that exact process you describe plays out. They simply project what they want upon Kumare' and he smiles, listens and doesn't judge them. His followers already know what they need to do to improve their lives but lack the confidence to simply take action on what they already know. Amazingly; even though he's a total fake, this internal process kicks in and they start taking positive actions for themselves. Kumare' had enough of a conscience to eventually reveal he was a fake and that they did not need him to make their life better.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
24-10-2014, 05:43 AM
(23-10-2014 05:43 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ...the master of word salad...

You're being extremely charitable. He's really not that good at word salad. A master of word salad can slip bad arguments in under the radar.
24-10-2014, 09:31 AM
(05-10-2014 01:17 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 01:14 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  1) Assumption that everyone has an ultimate authority.
2) Stating without any explanation why if you don't have an ultimate authority then your position is absurd.
3) Not defining what an ultimate authority actually is.

1. If you don't have one, how can you know anything? You have no basis
2. See 1
3. An authority that is the basis for all your beliefs.

well you are under the misguided notion that you have to have a higher power to give you all the answers. fist off i, as an Atheist, have no beliefs. i follow and trust in facts. reality shapes my life, not fiction.

Facepalm

My Youtube channel i started.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kowlzer
24-10-2014, 09:40 AM
(05-10-2014 01:20 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 01:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  No one knows everything, you dolt.

God does.

Facepalm

so, it comes to god. well lets see what this asshole with his all knowing and all powerfulness let happen..

He had to have known that putting the tree of knowledge in the garden with his most curious creations and told them no to eat of it, that he knew that 'satan' would come and talk them into eating of it, and yet he let it happen. he could have been smart enough not to put the damn tree there in the first place or kept satan out of the garden. and then damned billions of people not born yet for the actions of two people who were tempted by the evil that he created(cause he created ALL things) to eat of the fruit that he placed in the garden himself. what an ass.

Facepalm

My Youtube channel i started.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kowlzer