What is your view of humanity and life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: What is your view of humanity and life?
(30-08-2014 07:29 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 07:27 PM)One Above All Wrote:  You know, the username was familiar, as well as the avatar, but I couldn't recall his posts. Now that I recall my idea of them, I'm glad I didn't act on my curiosity and actually re-read his posts. Praise DA LAWD, I have been saved (from having my brain cells destroyed)!

I've never talked about "praising the lord"...

No one said you did. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-08-2014, 08:56 PM
(30-08-2014 07:22 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 07:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And attention begging; don't even bother with it, that's what he's been doing here since he arrived.

Are you perhaps experiencing denial? Are you afraid of the truth?

Only truth is that whenever I see your username this is now what happens:

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
30-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Humanity is what it is: humans living together, trying to figure out things about reality and why things happen. We have made up stories about reality, about why it occurs, why it is unfair, how to make it fair, how to reap enjoyment with moderation. We criticize others among us, we support those who are close to us. Often, groups go to war with others over ideas, proper. All of this being naught to the entire universe. There isn't a grand scheme beyond surviving. So, humanity: us being human. I can only hope that we as a species grow up and realize there is more than just serving ourselves.

Empathy is us having feelings and understanding for other people caused by circuits in the brain. Who people are empathetic to and how much varies.

As for life, I think it's best to attempt to enjoy this life as it is. It doesn't need any stories or a God or gods to satisfy enjoying life. We don't know if there is something else 'out there'. People imagine things to satisfy that our existence doesn't go away, sometimes at the cost of strict and inhumane ethics, else that afterlife fantasy isn't there or is replaced with something terrible or lesser. Despite anything we can imagine, focusing on reality as it is now can lead to a satisfying life.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
30-08-2014, 10:33 PM
(30-08-2014 07:22 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 07:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And attention begging; don't even bother with it, that's what he's been doing here since he arrived.

Are you perhaps experiencing denial? Are you afraid of the truth?

The only thing I'm in denial of is my stunning good voice and/or looks.

I deny it for the sake of appearing humble.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-08-2014, 11:08 PM
(28-08-2014 04:24 PM)acharvey Wrote:  Hello there.

As freethinkers, whether or not you've arrived at atheism from religion, how do you view humanity? I've found the term "humanity" to be very broad and general, which in this case I see as a good thing. You define "humanity" as it suits you. How do you view it according to your definition of the word?

How do you view empathy? As a former Christian, I would've said that I empathized with humans because that is how I was designed by God because through Jesus Christ, he was able to empathize with us. But now my understanding has changed. What do you think about it?

How do you view life as an atheist? Again, you define it how you choose.

Thanks for the responses in advance!

Pax Vobiscum,
Allen.

Hi

Humanity means all people everywhere. It's a literal descriptor. As to the nature of human beings... we are a mixed bag I think. Overall I think people are mostly good rather then mostly bad. In general we aspire to be better than we are, even if we have a hard time getting there. In a more literal or pragmatic sense, our actions are very reminiscent of evolutionary and social adaptations. This is neither good nor bad, it just is.

Empathy is one such behavioral adaptation. From a pseudo scientific stand point - we are social creatures. We view the good of the community to be comparable to the good of the person. I think it is our empathy that makes us at all interesting. Art, literature and music would be rather hollow if we could not understand or appreciate how others feel. When people allow each other to be more empathetic we tend to create better and more prosperous societies; which is probably a good thing.

"Life" is a complex system of chemistry whereby cells replicate and dna is passed on and evolves. I don't think there is an ultimate meaning to life. I don't believe we came to exist for any sort of purposeful, predetermined reasons. I think both atheist and peoples of faith seek out the same things and find fulfillment in much the same things. We won't to be loved, and admired, and have lots of nice stuff. We won't children and good food and rich experiences. From a evolutionary and sociological standpoint these desire make a lot of sense... in a rather cold way. Understanding them doesn't make them any less powerful. I am a human being. I am mortal. I am strongly influenced by my baser and simpler desires, well beyond my ability to adequately control them. That doesn't make life any less sweet. Fighting what you are and what makes you human in an attempt to ascend to something higher might suit some.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
31-08-2014, 09:03 AM
(30-08-2014 10:33 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 07:22 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Are you perhaps experiencing denial? Are you afraid of the truth?

The only thing I'm in denial of is my stunning good voice and/or looks.

Ok, I see. Atheists are psychopaths.

Truth seeker.
31-08-2014, 09:09 AM
You couldn't be more of a diva if you tried, dude.
Also, your post #666 is coming up. Might want to stop at #665, just in case DA DEVIL comes and takes your soul away. Wink

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
31-08-2014, 09:21 AM
(31-08-2014 09:09 AM)One Above All Wrote:  You couldn't be more of a diva if you tried, dude.
Also, your post #666 is coming up. Might want to stop at #665, just in case DA DEVIL comes and takes your soul away. Wink

Truth seeker.
31-08-2014, 11:11 AM
(30-08-2014 03:46 AM)phil.a Wrote:  I view humanity as a multi-perspective reality.

Humans aren't some sort of entity separate from the cosmos, exploring the cosmos.

We are the cosmos waking up to itself and getting to know itself.

It's possible to take many separate but truthful perspectives on what I, in essence "am".

Taking a journey into increasing levels of abstraction:

* I am this specific human body
* beyond that, I am human
* beyond that, I am life itself
* beyond that, I am biological evolution (the creator and context for life itself)
* beyond that, I am emergent complexity (that identity of mine goes right back into the big bang singularity)

These are all just different perspectives on what it is that I am.

Phil

What do you mean by "I"

The "I" - as in the volitional, aware state is only part of your overall consciousness - there is plenty going on subconsciously even as human outside your awareness. Most of the autonomic nervous system for example is operated subconsciously. Granted some people can influence this to varying degree's - no one can completely control or become aware of everything subconscious. (yes some people using meditation can alter to some degree their temperature, heart rate & immune responses - but not completely)
By considering all of "I" as human you would be committing the fallacy of composition, mixing up wholes with parts of the whole. (The "I" would be like the tip of an iceberg above the water - everything below the water line hidden from direct awareness - eg whats up with that skin sensation you feel now which you were not aware of before I mentioned it)

As for "life itself" - you would be part of life itself not "life itself" - even if there is common ancestry. In-fact as a human you would be only a tiny fraction of what life is in totality both today and 4 Billion yrs ago.
By considering all of "I" as "life" you would be committing the fallacy of composition, mixing up wholes with parts of the whole. This is a "category mistake" (much more clear than the above example).

Your Biological evolution ? What does that even mean ? Biological evolution happens to you (or at least the species) on a much larger time scale. As a creator of evolution ? Perhaps we can tweek a few genes with genetic engineering but I would hardly call that creating or participating in evolution (or very minimally - we can remove a few nasty genes and at least do some manipulations with tech today)
In any case - do you personally tweek your genes with genetic engineering ?
Perhaps you can influence your genes depending on the environmental exposures (eg diet, toxins) you come across via epigenetic changes - but this is hardly being "biological evolution" (at most a miniscule effect mostly out of your control & awareness)

How can your identity go back to the big bang singularity if your identity emerged with the development of your brain in the womb and very early years - most importantly between 0 - 7 years but continues to develop after that and eventually disintegrates with your death. (or brain injury for some people) You would not even be aware of the earliest weeks of your life never mind choosing anything with volition.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
31-08-2014, 03:16 PM
(31-08-2014 09:03 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 10:33 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  The only thing I'm in denial of is my stunning good voice and/or looks.

Ok, I see. Atheists are psychopaths.

Puh-lease; I'm closer to a sociopath than a psychopath.

Get your terminology right.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.