• 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 05:18 AM
RE: What is your view on misanthropy
Misanthropy is wonderful, IMO.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 06:09 AM
(19-10-2013 10:36 AM)YarMatey Wrote:  It basically means hatred for human beings and human nature, mistrust etc.

My suggestion would be if someone has bad experience one point, then this may be the result. But that's one of many assumptions. Just as why some humans have more love for pets than human beings.

But it might be for selfish reasons to shut people out aswell.

What is your view on this term?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misanthropy

I am unsure if this should be in "philosophy thread" though. Huh

I hated most of humanity (at least the portion that surrounded me) long before I knew anything regarding philosobull and misanthropy.

Then again, at the time, I was surrounded by insufferable, noisy and stupid children (of which, I also was) at the time.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:My suggestion would be if someone has bad experience one point, then this may be the result. But that's one of many assumptions.
I disagree with this assumption, at least in my own experience. This sounds like the people who learn that I'm an atheist and decide I'm just "mad at god" because something bad happened to me one time, or I didn't get my way about something.

However, I do think this is a time when people misuse the word. Related: let's say a woman has a bad breakup and declares that she "hates all men." Usually, this is not true at all, she's just mad at one man in particular and perhaps not ready for another relationship yet. But after a while, that emotion fades and she goes back to normal. Likewise, you get people who have a to deal with assholes, maybe they work in retail, and they often declare that they "hate everybody." This is also not true, and if such a person describes themselves as "misanthropic," I'd say they are incorrect in their usage of the word.

But what I mean to say is that "having a bad experience" and shunning people for a while sounds like a transient emotional state when a person is upset and wants to be alone, not misanthropy.

As for what kim said about "selective misanthropy," I think that's not necessarily a contradiction in terms, because hating humanity in general is not the same as hating every individual.

Here's a definition:
"Misanthropy is the general hatred, distrust or disdain of the human species or human nature."

I think I fit into the "disdain" for the species part. I certain don't experience any burning hatred, I just kind of think people are unworthy of my time, for the most part.

Quote:

But it might be for selfish reasons to shut people out as well.
Also, misanthropy is not the same as being a hermit, as is implied here. You can be around people all the time and be a misanthropist. You can even have people that are close to you and be emotionally available to them and still be a misanthropist in a general sense.

However, I don't publicly declare my misanthropy or anything due to misunderstandings. People tend to associate the word with young kids who want to be cool and act like they don't care what others think of them.

What do you mean by "selfish reasons?" If a person is not social, then yes, I suppose they choose not to be social because it's what they want (rather than what other people want). I ask because "selfish" tends to have such negative connotations most of the time. I think everyone is selfish, anyway.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2013, 06:43 AM
(20-10-2013 06:09 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I hated most of humanity (at least the portion that surrounded me) long before I knew anything regarding philosobull and misanthropy.

Then again, at the time, I was surrounded by insufferable, noisy and stupid children Australians (of which, I also was) at the time.

fixt Thumbsup

20-10-2013, 07:48 AM
More often than not, immature posturing; also, exaggerated and immensely hypocritical. Because I have yet to meet a self-proclaimed "misanthrope" who hates, distrusts or disdains themselves and their nature.

No offence to anyone, but to me it's an extremely sad way of being.

And by this I don't mean preferring your own company, having problems with (expressing) emotions or even having "selective" misanthropy; I mean honestly and truly hating your own species. Nothing worse I can think of.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
20-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Yup, Amyb, I'm with Vera on this one.

You, me, Kim and others who would be happy on our own island do not actively hate people.

i.e. Misanthropy is, as per Kim's Barfly clip, the Faye Dunaway position of "I'm ok / You're not ok" (although in her case it might be "I'm not ok / You're not ok"). Whereas most introverts would simply hold the Mickey Rourke position of "I'm ok / You're ok but fuck off and leave me alone. Thanks."

Talking of which, will you please GET OFF MY ISLAND!

Actually, there is 5th life position that I hold to... "I am / You are" ... i.e. extreme ambivalence.

So from what you describe about yourself, I don't see your life position as misanthropy.

More like Meh-anthropy.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-10-2013, 09:27 AM
(20-10-2013 09:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So from what you describe about yourself, I don't see your life position as misanthropy.

More like Meh-anthropy.

Fair enough, but "hatred" is only one definition of misanthropy. If any, I would place myself next to the "disdain/contempt" end of things, but I'm more asocial than anything.

Quote:No offence to anyone, but to me it's an extremely sad way of being.
This seems like projection to me; just because you wouldn't like to be a certain way doesn't mean other people who are that way are unhappy.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
20-10-2013, 09:38 AM
(20-10-2013 09:27 AM)amyb Wrote:  
Quote:No offence to anyone, but to me it's an extremely sad way of being.
This seems like projection to me; just because you wouldn't like to be a certain way doesn't mean other people who are that way are unhappy.

20-10-2013, 09:45 AM
If it's just to you, I saw no need to say "no offense." I interpreted that you meant it would be sad for other people, or you think it is sad that people would dislike their species.

I think most people are social creatures. Indeed, it would seem unpleasant to dislike their own species. But again, different strokes for different folks and all that.
20-10-2013, 09:48 AM
(20-10-2013 09:45 AM)amyb Wrote:  If it's just to you, I saw no need to say "no offense." I interpreted that you meant it would be sad for other people, or you think it is sad that people would dislike their species.

Amy, you just brought me back in time, to my syntax classes where we would do syntactical analyses of sentences. Don't overanalyse it so much Wink

(I was really good at those, though. Only reason why I didn't fail my exam - hated the theoretical part of it Dodgy )

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post