What is your view on misanthropy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 09:52 AM
RE: What is your view on misanthropy
Haha. Yeah, been a while since I had classes like that. I have especially non-fond memories of a time when I wrote a 22 page page on a single sentence. =D

As for people posturing, I feel like I've seen more than my share of it because I used to have a black metal zine, and ran into a lot of people who thought feigning misanthropy (or at least throwing the word around a lot) would make them seem very cool. Or something.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
20-10-2013, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 02:06 PM by Free Thought.)
(20-10-2013 06:43 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:09 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I hated most of humanity (at least the portion that surrounded me) long before I knew anything regarding philosobull and misanthropy.

Then again, at the time, I was surrounded by insufferable, noisy and stupid children Australians (of which, I also was) at the time.

fixt Thumbsup
You Yanks have no right to he snarky- y'all fuckers seem generally worse than the average Australian; fix your nations shit, only
then will you have warrant for such jokes.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
20-10-2013, 02:44 PM
(20-10-2013 01:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:43 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  fixt Thumbsup
You Yanks have no right to he snarky- y'all fuckers seem generally worse than the average Australian; fix your nations shit, only
then will you have warrant for such jokes.

You're only supporting my correction. Drinking Beverage

22-10-2013, 02:29 AM
I think it's just fine. Drinking Beverage

Ok, but seriously, I'll elaborate. Back when I was 18, I saw the movie "Dazed and Confused". In one scene, Adam Goldberg's character states that he is "just trying to be honest about being a misanthrope" when he confides in his friends about his disgust regarding people in general. At the time, I had been dealing with some very deeply-seeded feelings regarding my fellow man. I had feeling of distrust, contempt and resentment, and I was not yet aware that there was a name which described the things I was feeling. After seeing the film, I looked it up, and found myself nodding my head in agreement with most (if not all) of the attributes which constitute a misanthropic outlook.

I've somewhat softened my stance since that time, but I still identify with the core principles which prompted my initial position. My reasons for disliking - even hating portions of - my fellow man are rooted in the fact that I believe, quite firmly, that people should love one another. Should do good toward one another and never seek to harm - directly or indirectly - a member of their own kind. Everywhere I look, I see violence and strife, and I feel, deep within myself, that this is not how things should be. That it's not how human beings should act. I don't like when people murder each other. I don't like when people cheat on their spouse. I don't like it when people choose their own selfish gain over the well-being of another. I hate it. I hate that we can't be well-mannered, well-reasoned, "perfect" individuals.

But as much as I may want everyone to be able to hold hands and sing "Kum Ba Yah", I know that it's simply not in our nature. I have grown to learn that we are animals. Highly-advanced animals, most certainly, but animals none the less. We are driven by our most basic instincts of greed and selfishness. Even bloodlust. We have TV programs which depict real man-on-man violence and we have nightclubs full of people who are more than willing to betray the emotional trust of their partners. We have people who will gladly put a bullet in our brain(s) for the $20 in our wallet, rather than work to make their own money. We have wars and rape. We have people doing sadistic, vile things to one another for no other reason than because they want to. Because they find pleasure in the unimaginable pain of others. Hell, we have entire film genres (meant to be entertaining and enjoyable) dedicated to these very concepts. We are a species which LOVES the concept of harm. We revel in the suffering and death of those around us. It's just how we're programed. And I'll openly admit: I'm no different. I'm just as much a sadistic animal as anyone else.

For these reasons and more, I feel that misanthropy is a valid and understandable reaction to the things going on within our world. It's not to say that the misanthrope is different; he's certainly not. I've hurt people in different ways, and I've not felt sorry about it some of the time. Again, the misanthrope is just as much an animal as anyone else. But when it comes to misanthropy, I don't expect it to be a catalyst for change. I don't expect the misanthrope to try to pave the way for a brighter, more loving future. If he wants to, that's awesome. But I don't expect it. Being the cynical bastard that I am, I expect the misanthrope to simply react with contempt to the absolute cluster-fuck with which he's surrounded and try to separate himself from it. Even if the only way in which he's separate is through his contempt alone.

I am a misanthrope. And I act in a manner which is inconsistent with my misanthropic views. Sometimes (even currently), I'm "the other man". I've lied to people. I've set people up for failure. I've kicked people when they were down. I've laughed about it later on. I, like anyone else, am more than capable of being a total piece of shit, and I've taken full advantage of that capability on more than one occasion. Sometimes for no other reason than because I could. If I were not me, I would have a measure of contempt for me. Of this I have no doubt.

But even with all of that being the case, I remain a misanthrope because I believe that we, as a species, should be better than this. Better than me. Better than all of you. If I were not me, I would have no need for misanthropy. If you were not you, I would have no need for misanthropy. But I am me, and you are you. And so long as that is the case, I will identify and sympathize with the misanthrope. He is a man who is evolved enough to recognize the change which needs to come...but isn't quite evolved enough to be that change.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 5 users Like Misanthropik's post
22-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't hate people, but sometimes I hate that I need them.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
22-10-2013, 02:47 PM
(22-10-2013 02:29 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I have grown to learn that we are animals. Highly-advanced animals, most certainly, but animals none the less... ...I believe that we, as a species, should be better than this... ...a man who is evolved enough to recognize the change which needs to come...but isn't quite evolved enough to be that change.

Wanted to say I totally agree with this. We've come far enough as a species to recognize the animal within us but not to overcome him just yet. And that can be very frustrating and disheartening.

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
24-10-2013, 05:36 AM
(22-10-2013 02:29 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I think it's just fine. Drinking Beverage

Ok, but seriously, I'll elaborate. Back when I was 18, I saw the movie "Dazed and Confused". In one scene, Adam Goldberg's character states that he is "just trying to be honest about being a misanthrope" when he confides in his friends about his disgust regarding people in general. At the time, I had been dealing with some very deeply-seeded feelings regarding my fellow man. I had feeling of distrust, contempt and resentment, and I was not yet aware that there was a name which described the things I was feeling. After seeing the film, I looked it up, and found myself nodding my head in agreement with most (if not all) of the attributes which constitute a misanthropic outlook.

I've somewhat softened my stance since that time, but I still identify with the core principles which prompted my initial position. My reasons for disliking - even hating portions of - my fellow man are rooted in the fact that I believe, quite firmly, that people should love one another. Should do good toward one another and never seek to harm - directly or indirectly - a member of their own kind. Everywhere I look, I see violence and strife, and I feel, deep within myself, that this is not how things should be. That it's not how human beings should act. I don't like when people murder each other. I don't like when people cheat on their spouse. I don't like it when people choose their own selfish gain over the well-being of another. I hate it. I hate that we can't be well-mannered, well-reasoned, "perfect" individuals.

But as much as I may want everyone to be able to hold hands and sing "Kum Ba Yah", I know that it's simply not in our nature. I have grown to learn that we are animals. Highly-advanced animals, most certainly, but animals none the less. We are driven by our most basic instincts of greed and selfishness. Even bloodlust. We have TV programs which depict real man-on-man violence and we have nightclubs full of people who are more than willing to betray the emotional trust of their partners. We have people who will gladly put a bullet in our brain(s) for the $20 in our wallet, rather than work to make their own money. We have wars and rape. We have people doing sadistic, vile things to one another for no other reason than because they want to. Because they find pleasure in the unimaginable pain of others. Hell, we have entire film genres (meant to be entertaining and enjoyable) dedicated to these very concepts. We are a species which LOVES the concept of harm. We revel in the suffering and death of those around us. It's just how we're programed. And I'll openly admit: I'm no different. I'm just as much a sadistic animal as anyone else.

For these reasons and more, I feel that misanthropy is a valid and understandable reaction to the things going on within our world. It's not to say that the misanthrope is different; he's certainly not. I've hurt people in different ways, and I've not felt sorry about it some of the time. Again, the misanthrope is just as much an animal as anyone else. But when it comes to misanthropy, I don't expect it to be a catalyst for change. I don't expect the misanthrope to try to pave the way for a brighter, more loving future. If he wants to, that's awesome. But I don't expect it. Being the cynical bastard that I am, I expect the misanthrope to simply react with contempt to the absolute cluster-fuck with which he's surrounded and try to separate himself from it. Even if the only way in which he's separate is through his contempt alone.

I am a misanthrope. And I act in a manner which is inconsistent with my misanthropic views. Sometimes (even currently), I'm "the other man". I've lied to people. I've set people up for failure. I've kicked people when they were down. I've laughed about it later on. I, like anyone else, am more than capable of being a total piece of shit, and I've taken full advantage of that capability on more than one occasion. Sometimes for no other reason than because I could. If I were not me, I would have a measure of contempt for me. Of this I have no doubt.

But even with all of that being the case, I remain a misanthrope because I believe that we, as a species, should be better than this. Better than me. Better than all of you. If I were not me, I would have no need for misanthropy. If you were not you, I would have no need for misanthropy. But I am me, and you are you. And so long as that is the case, I will identify and sympathize with the misanthrope. He is a man who is evolved enough to recognize the change which needs to come...but isn't quite evolved enough to be that change.
Misanthropik, are you suffering because of your misanthropy? If so, you shouldn't be. You aren't as fucked up as you may think. All thoughtful people are probably somewhat misanthropic. Cool Because many people are not capable of being thoughtful.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I consider myself to be a misanthrope - in that I dislike, and try to avoid close contact with many people. However, it seems like many dumbass, self-destructive turds are not that hard to avoid, though.

Hating people on the surface is fine, but hating just for the sake of hating can damage your own life, rather then the lives of the dipshits you hate.

I think avoidance might be the key word here. If you allow shitbag people to wear you down, then you're doing something wrong - although I think we all do it sometimes. But ultimately, Social Darwinism rules here, the intelligent avoid the stupid because, the stupid fuck themselves up endlessly. And the intelligent don't.
26-10-2013, 01:00 AM
(24-10-2013 05:36 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 02:29 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I think it's just fine. Drinking Beverage

Misanthropik, are you suffering because of your misanthropy?

Not in the least. Smile

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
26-10-2013, 01:50 AM
(26-10-2013 01:00 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 05:36 AM)Juv Wrote:  Misanthropik, are you suffering because of your misanthropy?

Not in the least. Smile
Glad to hear it, misanthropy is probably OK for you.