What it means to be an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2011, 03:34 PM

RE: What it means to be an atheist
I never think of myself as an 'atheist'.

I like to think of myself as a sane and rational human being, coping with the world around me as I see it, depending on information through my senses and the logical/intuitive conclusions I draw from my mind.

I realize that there are many people who aren't like that and, honestly, I stopped trying to understand them a long time ago. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Zatamon's post
20-10-2011, 07:52 PM
To me, Atheism is not only the acceptance, but the enjoyment of being human. I always hated the concept of original sin, because it meant (to me) that we were wicked creatures who needed to repent for being human. While we've done terrible things as the species developed, we've also done a great deal of good. We've cured diseases that plagued us for ages, we've improved the lives of many of our own, and we've left the planet of our birth. Atheism allows me to be proud of these achievements. And not just the things that I have done, but the things that all of humanity has accomplished.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Glaucus's post
23-10-2011, 01:42 PM
It is identity. People come up and ask me for my name - they don't care about my "name," they want to classify and find alignment. What always follows in casual conversation other than "what is your occupation?" People build identity from these concepts, but i'm just an atheist. That's all one needs to know. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
23-10-2011, 02:53 PM
For me being an atheist is the last thing people need to know if they want to really know who I am. It's about as realevant as me telling them I'm not a pilot, I'm not a woman, I'm not 64 years old, or I'm not from Madigascar.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
23-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Atheism to me:

Freedom to be individual
Freedom to think for myself
Freedom to choose whom I trust
An edict on personal responsibility / a dismissal of scape goats

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
23-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Hitler is visiting the insane asylum and all the nuts are taught the Nazi salute.

When Hitler arrives, everyone salutes him except for one.

Hitler roars: "Why don't you salute me?" he demands.

Excuse me, said the man calmly -- I am the doctor.!

That is how I am an atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2011, 08:32 PM
That Zatamon guy, he's got his own identity, that's for sure. Big Grin

Atheist has become part of my identity in that I hang at atheist forums like this one. On the street, it's not something that comes up unless someone is pimping their religion - in which case I may or may not have to go Atheist on them. It's a case-by-case scenario. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
25-10-2011, 08:01 PM
To me, being an atheist means that my life doesn't have to be lead in a manner pleasing to a cosmic bully. My daily routine doesn't have to be based on orders found in a book that dictates living by the golden rule in one chapter and in the next glorifies genocide in god's name. Ancient superstitions have no hold over me. I'm free to be open minded and I'm free to learn things and express opinions based on real science, not bronze age science fiction. It's exhilarating to live a life free of willful stupidity and full of wonder. I just wish I'd figured this out 30 years ago.
27-10-2011, 06:21 AM
To argue against a religion and to be trolled by religion.
11-11-2011, 11:25 AM
An atheist is a man in the back of the church who raises his hand to ask questions and the one who leaves when his questions aren't answered.