What killed Rock-n-Roll?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2013, 10:32 PM
What killed Rock-n-Roll?
I remember hearing about Kurt Cobain's death back in the spring of 1994 and thinking, "Well...Rock-n-Roll is really dead now." I mentioned this to a friend who loved Rock and he said that he thought that Rock had died years before and we were just witnessing the death spasms. I had to agree with my friend. I guess Rock pretty much did die years before Cobain died.

Anyways, I got to wondering, what exactly killed Rock and how did it happen - and who did it?

I remember Rock Radio started to really start sucking in the late 1980's - it got so fuckin' corporate. Then Rap hit. In 1990 I remember telling my cousin that Rap was just a fad and that it would soon die because those fuckers didn't have any talent. Well...Rap didn't die and those fuckin' rappers are still as talentless as ever.

Amazing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 10:48 PM
RE: What killed Rock-n-Roll?
(05-08-2013 10:32 PM)Julius Wrote:  I remember hearing about Kurt Cobain's death back in the spring of 1994 and thinking, "Well...Rock-n-Roll is really dead now." I mentioned this to a friend who loved Rock and he said that he thought that Rock had died years before and we were just witnessing the death spasms. I had to agree with my friend. I guess Rock pretty much did die years before Cobain died.

Anyways, I got to wondering, what exactly killed Rock and how did it happen - and who did it?

I remember Rock Radio started to really start sucking in the late 1980's - it got so fuckin' corporate. Then Rap hit. In 1990 I remember telling my cousin that Rap was just a fad and that it would soon die because those fuckers didn't have any talent. Well...Rap didn't die and those fuckin' rappers are still as talentless as ever.

Amazing.

Well real rap Kendrick Lamar, Tupac, Biggie, Queen Latifah's early stuff that was good
But what killed it was pop-rock
Stuff like EMF, Hanson, and Limp Bizkit
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
05-08-2013, 11:18 PM
A musician friend of mine says iTunes helped kill AOR....add to it all or most of the radio stations are owned by what??? Four or five companies? They all do the same thing -- in very similar ways so nothing is unique.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

05-08-2013, 11:32 PM
(05-08-2013 10:32 PM)Julius Wrote:  I remember hearing about Kurt Cobain's death back in the spring of 1994 and thinking, "Well...Rock-n-Roll is really dead now." I mentioned this to a friend who loved Rock and he said that he thought that Rock had died years before and we were just witnessing the death spasms. I had to agree with my friend. I guess Rock pretty much did die years before Cobain died.

Amazing.

I hate to say it, but I find your post to be slightly ironic. I always was a fan, but in my heart of hearts I think that Nirvana was the beginning of the end of good rock and roll. I always loved the artistic sense that they had, but honestly the music was crap, and millions of future musicians were duped into believing that actually being good at your trade didn't matter as long as you were somehow abstractly deep.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of bullshit in the eighties helped propagate a sense of image over musical substance, Nirvana nailed the coffin shut by doing the same thing only from the opposite end of the spectrum.

At least motherfuckers are starting to play guitar solos again........Undecided

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
06-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Nothing...

Rock, upon it's rise to the top of the music charts was new and it was seen as rebellious etc.. and it was different and exciting etc..
BUT, as time progresses, rock wasn't as interesting or exciting because it wasn't new any more. Pop became the new music to listen too, it became the new thing to listen to just like rock before it and beetles and shit before that and classic shit before etc.. (you get you my point).
Just like how pop has/is dying out to make way for hiphop shit and techno stuff etc.. all this modern music they have etc..
Rock is a fad just like any other form of music.
That doesn't make it any more or less good then any other kind, it just means it's not as popular as it used to be, just like music today wont be as popular in 50years as it is comparatively today.

Eventually it'll likely all balance out rock will rise again to a certain level just like with pop or classical music or whatever.
Rollcoaster ride. Up down up down, but overall equal out.

If that made any sense at all.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
06-08-2013, 02:54 AM
(06-08-2013 01:47 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nothing...

Rock, upon it's rise to the top of the music charts was new and it was seen as rebellious etc.. and it was different and exciting etc..
BUT, as time progresses, rock wasn't as interesting or exciting because it wasn't new any more. Pop became the new music to listen too, it became the new thing to listen to just like rock before it and beetles and shit before that and classic shit before etc.. (you get you my point).
Just like how pop has/is dying out to make way for hiphop shit and techno stuff etc.. all this modern music they have etc..
Rock is a fad just like any other form of music.
That doesn't make it any more or less good then any other kind, it just means it's not as popular as it used to be, just like music today wont be as popular in 50years as it is comparatively today.

Eventually it'll likely all balance out rock will rise again to a certain level just like with pop or classical music or whatever.
Rollcoaster ride. Up down up down, but overall equal out.

If that made any sense at all.

I completely agree with muffs. Nothing killed original Rap or Rock. We simply (though we wouldn't realize to admit it) outgrew the genres. They were new to us once, but time progressed, and as did the trends. Nothing has died or faded out completely. It will always be there for those who like and enjoy it- it will never actually be "killed off" or erased permanently. It's left it's mark on music history. Music has simply evolved- whether in a sense of a better evolution, or worse. The evolution of music is what makes music most exciting.

Big Grin

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
06-08-2013, 02:57 AM
What happened to Jazz... what happened to Classical... what happened to tribal drumming... I suspect there's a very simple and timeless answer Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
06-08-2013, 02:59 AM
(06-08-2013 02:57 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  What happened to Jazz... what happened to Classical... what happened to tribal drumming... I suspect there's a very simple and timeless answer Dodgy

Music evolved. Tongue

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Ferdinand's post
06-08-2013, 03:27 AM
(06-08-2013 02:59 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Music evolved. Tongue

This.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 3 users Like Logica Humano's post
06-08-2013, 03:48 AM
This thread (and everyone who ever says anything similar to it) can be summed up like this: "Music doesn't sound the same as when I was in highschool and I don't like the implication that the culture kept advancing without me."

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post