What killed Rock-n-Roll?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 04:48 AM
RE: What killed Rock-n-Roll?
(06-08-2013 03:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This thread (and everyone who ever says anything similar to it) can be summed up like this: "Music doesn't sound the same as when I was in highschool and I don't like the implication that the culture kept advancing without me."

"Rap" is "advancing" ??? WTAF??? Shocking

The culture keeps evolving and changing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2013, 05:27 AM
(06-08-2013 03:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This thread (and everyone who ever says anything similar to it) can be summed up like this: "Music doesn't sound the same as when I was in highschool and I don't like the implication that the culture kept advancing without me."

Very true, I think, if we are talking about the radio. Top forty stuff is always mostly full of fluff and current pop trends, which will change as quickly as MTV tells it to.

I don't know if it holds true for anyone else, but in my experience within a certain genre the music will evolve and get better over time. The artists who do this, unfortunately, don"t get much recognition unless their particular genre gets a push in popular culture for whatever reason. And even if this does happen, the copycats will come out of the woodworks to water it down until it fades into obscurity again and the true artists once more have room to create their art.

I think there are exceptional artists and great tunes in just about every genre out, the trouble is being able to sift through the shit that's out there. Rule of thumb, if it's on the radio, don't bother.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
06-08-2013, 05:32 AM
(06-08-2013 02:57 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  What happened to Jazz... what happened to Classical... what happened to tribal drumming... I suspect there's a very simple and timeless answer Dodgy

All still around, just not as popular. Popular culture is what dictates what rises, what falls, and what gets religated to being played in clubs visited by nostalgic pensioners and hipsters, what gets played in music halls, and what gets played in impromptu drum circles.

Current music trends will pass, they always do. It's sad that so much trash has made it to the top of the charts lately, but people going into their 30's and beyond have been saying that for decades.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 2 users Like Anudist's post
06-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Let's not forget, music is completely commercialized, you could have the best thing ever going but you'll never get anyone to listen if it can't be commercialized or doesn't follow current trends.

Youth tends to be the biggest consumer of music. Youth always wants to be different from all that came before, wants to make a mark. But youth is also the most conformist within it's own ranks. Be different from all previous generations, yet uniform with each other. Be innovative but fit in.

The music industry capitalizes on that. It does look for actual talent, but only talent that fits the current generation's trend.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
06-08-2013, 06:29 AM
(06-08-2013 06:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  Let's not forget, music is completely commercialized, you could have the best thing ever going but you'll never get anyone to listen if it can't be commercialized or doesn't follow current trends.

Soundcloud, IDMF, and Newgrounds beg to differ. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
06-08-2013, 06:30 AM
I have a theory that rock gets ups and downs in popularity every few years while pop maintains a level of popularity, giving the appearance that rock dies every 10 years or so. This theory is based on lose definitions of rock and pop Tongue

Now we're in low rock times...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Electronic music has currently gained popularity, just like it did in the early 90s.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
06-08-2013, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 08:10 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
The sheer number of niche markets in music today is simply unmatched to any other time in history. As a whole, the entirety of music is at a mind boggling level of diversity. However, the predominant popular forms of music, pop and rap, seem to have reached a creative bottleneck, churning out hits not for the sake of exploring their own musical capabilities, but what manufactured, water-down beat can be consumed by the largest quantity of the masses. It used to be that the predominant forms of music gained popularity through exploring new territories, now experimentation is economic suicide in the pop industry.

Oh, and accidentally running over a rabbit in my car is what killed rock 'n' roll. Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
06-08-2013, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 12:06 PM by ridethespiral.)
I'm too lazy to speculate on what killed Rock N' Roll but one thing is abundantly clear...

"Video killed the radio star."

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
06-08-2013, 11:47 AM
(06-08-2013 06:30 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Now we're in low rock times...

Go to tumblr. No we're not. Tongue

The radio is like shitty fornication. Don't listen to it.

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.