What killed Rock-n-Roll?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 11:56 PM
RE: What killed Rock-n-Roll?
(06-08-2013 11:33 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Okay u guys I'm Turning myself in. I killed rock 'n roll with a gun in the basement. My friend Zack helped bury the body.

YOU BASTARD!!! Sadcryface2

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
07-08-2013, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 12:06 AM by evenheathen.)
(06-08-2013 11:48 PM)Juv Wrote:  I don't know, sea shanties?

Exactly. I would agree that the only way that a truly original piece of music might be born in the world today would be through the mindless maniacal monotony and loneliness of the sailor.

Chase

I pretty much agree with you in the fact that most formations of musical notes that are pleasing to the ear have been in one form or another produced and copied over the millennia.

Hell, it's been said that every cool riff ever has already been done by Black Sabbath, everyone else just copies one and rearranges a note or two. As a metal guitarist, I find it hard to refute that statement.

So what's left then?
(if you say dubstep, I'll be forced to track you down and kill you)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-08-2013, 12:02 AM
(06-08-2013 11:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:33 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Okay u guys I'm Turning myself in. I killed rock 'n roll with a gun in the basement. My friend Zack helped bury the body.

YOU BASTARD!!! Sadcryface2
Nope my parents were married for three years before I was born Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
07-08-2013, 12:11 AM
(07-08-2013 12:02 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  YOU BASTARD!!! Sadcryface2
Nope my parents were married for three years before I was born Wink

oh good, I was loosing my mind there for a minute! everything's good now Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-08-2013, 04:25 AM
(07-08-2013 12:02 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hell, it's been said that every cool riff ever has already been done by Black Sabbath, everyone else just copies one and rearranges a note or two. As a metal guitarist, I find it hard to refute that statement.
Yeah, I've read that before, and also concur. Iommi was the ironsmith of riffs.

Quote:So what's left then?
(if you say dubstep, I'll be forced to track you down and kill you)
Dubstep???!! No chance.

I have no idea what's next; I think the guitar/ bass/ drums/vocalist lineup has gone as far as it can go, though.
07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
(06-08-2013 03:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This thread (and everyone who ever says anything similar to it) can be summed up like this: "Music doesn't sound the same as when I was in highschool and I don't like the implication that the culture kept advancing without me."

Hey now. When I was in High School I not only listened to the music of the day, but that of preceeding decades, too. Not just one genre, but many, as well.

Granted, I may be biased by this song's presence in the movie, Predator, but you've got to admit it's, at least, a little catchy.

Granted, I may be biased by this songs presence in the movie, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, but it is just a little cool, right?

This is just EPIC Drinking Beverage

This one kicks metric butt-tons of corrupt religion's ass!

Evil_monster

Now, I graduated in '98, & apparently stopped paying attention. So if anyone could please provide some musical pieces that 1) either kick metric butt-tons of ass, or are epically emotionally moving, 2) that were produced after 2000 by bands that hadn't existed prior to that year, and 3) were produced by bands that were widely known during their time even to people who were not fans of their specific genre,...
I'd be grateful. Smile Always on the look out for more! Yes
.....haven't found much, yet Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
07-08-2013, 06:44 PM
(07-08-2013 05:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Granted, I may be biased by this song's presence in the movie, Predator, but you've got to admit it's, at least, a little catchy.

Bunch of slack-jawed fa...
*Sigh* I need to stop using that catchphrase....

MEH WHATEVER

VENTURA FOREVER

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
08-08-2013, 04:41 AM
(07-08-2013 05:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Now, I graduated in '98, & apparently stopped paying attention. So if anyone could please provide some musical pieces that 1) either kick metric butt-tons of ass, or are epically emotionally moving, 2) that were produced after 2000 by bands that hadn't existed prior to that year, and 3) were produced by bands that were widely known during their time even to people who were not fans of their specific genre,...

http://laketheband.bandcamp.com/track/gravel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn-Rp2InGdA
09-08-2013, 07:47 AM
I doubt anyone here can define rock 'n roll, so declaring its death, let alone its cause of death, would be problematic.

Rock on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-08-2013, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 08:18 AM by evenheathen.)
(07-08-2013 05:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Now, I graduated in '98, & apparently stopped paying attention. So if anyone could please provide some musical pieces that 1) either kick metric butt-tons of ass, or are epically emotionally moving, 2) that were produced after 2000 by bands that hadn't existed prior to that year, and 3) were produced by bands that were widely known during their time even to people who were not fans of their specific genre,...

I realize this aint for everybody, but if you take the time to listen to what these guys are doing, well....yeah.

edit: I just found this video, I haven't read any of the lyrics to the album (I just dig the music) but I do know that it's a concept album about two cosmic miners and their "adventures" in space. Or something like that.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post