What killed Rock-n-Roll?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 08:23 AM
RE: What killed Rock-n-Roll?
I don't really give a damn about the orignal founders of rock in the 50's, but I must respect them for giving the stepping stone to this

And I must respect the Beatles, because like it or not, they created the first metal song ever:

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 09:43 AM by JAH.)
I come from a much different perspective than most of you. I have 5 (oops I miscounted earlier) large boxes of 45's some of which may be older than some of your grandparents almost all certainly older than your parents. My 33's and CD's probably are 60% containing music from before you were born. If you care I very much prefer vinyl.

I own for example "It will Stand" by the Showmen and "Rock and Roll is Dead" by the Rubinoos. Opposite ideas of what is being discussed here. "Rock and Roll is Dead" by the way is a great rock and roll song. My apologies because the only example I found on youtube is a bad recording from a live show.

I also love "Straight outta Compton" by NWA, who could not love an album with "Fuck the Police" on it. Once while blaring a Dancehall (I think "Ganja Smoke") song out of the window in my car I amused a passing teenager. "Smoke the weed, the weed, the weed till your eyes they bleed, bleed, bleed", who can pass up lyrics like that.

If I may quote the label from one of my Gordy 45's, "Its what's in the grooves that counts". Rock and roll forever will stand. You may like some and may dismiss some but it will never go away.

I want to thank Guelegon for the Little Richard bit. I might suggest you listen to "Rip it Up". I might also suggest "The Jefferson Airplane Takes Off".

Two final comments on where musicality has fallen onto bad times.

Autotuning of voices sucks. Someone mentioned a song above and I listened for about 30 seconds, a pretty girl with an auto tuned voice was so annoying as to be dismissible.

Volume at concerts is sometimes so great as to make the music almost impossible to hear. The last concert I went to at Winterland was so loud I could barely hear what was being played, if that makes sense. See the movie "This is Spinal Tap" where the stupid guitar player is so happy his amp goes up to 11.

Finally if you are ever in San Francisco go to the Filmore Auditorium, a very real "blast from the past".
11-08-2013, 09:39 AM
I kind of agree that 'Video Killed the Radio Star'. That seems to be when music became more about appearance and less about the music. The focus shifted.

Also, I think that when bands stopped being able to recreate their hits on stage it went downhill. Technology is a good thing but it seems to have replaced organic talent in a lot of cases.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
(11-08-2013 09:33 AM)JAH Wrote:  I have 4 large boxes of 45's some of which may be older than some of your grandparents almost all certainly older than your parents. My 33's and CD's probably are 60% containing music from before you were born. If you care I very much prefer vinyl.

Now, I take no stand on the contents of you post, but I do have to question your mathematics a little Tongue.

The absolute rock-scraping-bottom end of the possible range for anyone's grandparents, if they're posting here, is just shy of 50 years old. 45s were only invented in 1949, so I... guess it's possible, but it doesn't seem that likely.

I was going to say that all my LP albums are older than I am, but then I remembered that I own a single reissue, so that isn't quite true.

... this is my signature!
11-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Oooh! Oooh! I know.

Nobody killed rock-n-roll.

It died of old age. Angel

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Abdul Alhazred's post
11-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I still have a box of 45s somewhere...I got rid of most of my LPs but kept a few of them. I feel ancient admitting that I had an 8-track player in my first car. Sadcryface

11-08-2013, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 11:29 AM by JAH.)
cjlr, OK I admit it after I posted I realized that it was a bit of a stretch on the timing but it was done for effect. You missed my edit when I realized I had 5 boxes, oh well.

Anjele, find that box and send it to me. I will give it a good home. 8-tracks "kids this day don't know what it was like". They were so bad they were quickly eliminated by cassette tapes which were almost as bad.
11-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I can't get rid of my 45s yet...sniffle

I remember them costing about a dollar and I would get a small allowance and go to the little store in town that had a rack of 45s. I had to carefully decide which ones I wanted. The best were bands that actually recorded good songs on both sides so you got more for your money, but there were few of those.

8-tracks were awful...but back then they were cutting edge. The one in may car was Quadrophonic. Let's see how many people even know what that is.

12-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Anjele, well I think we have successfully drifted this thread. Quadraphonic? even I had to look that one up.

Oddly enough most of my collection of 45's was given to me by people who wanted to get rid of them and knew I liked the music they contained. Some I traded for and some I bought years after their issue, some have been gifts to me by my son who works selling records. Then there is the odd ones like the Guttersluts and the Donnas when I came across them by chance and bought them.

Even given the tread drift I do truly believe the OP was incorrect. The popular music of today may not move you but the foundation of Rock and Roll is so strong that elements of it will be around for a long time. If anything about the current scene limits the music it is the aiming of it to specific audiences. Some music for teenage girls some for teenage boys some for a specific african american audience (rap or smooth r and b). The real genius of early rock and roll was the blending of country, blues, r and b, hell Phil Spector (a colossal asshole but a real music genius) would throw in some classical music hints with strings and such, occasionally a bit of jazz would find its way in. As I said above now the music seems consciously aimed at a very specific audience and it has lost much of that spirit of lets try this.

I will repeat, "It will Stand". I would post a link to a video but it contains an annoying add.
15-08-2013, 04:18 AM
(12-08-2013 07:59 AM)JAH Wrote:  As I said above now the music seems consciously aimed at a very specific audience and it has lost much of that spirit of lets try this.
That's because there's nothing left to try.