What killed Rock-n-Roll?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 09:12 PM
RE: What killed Rock-n-Roll?
Looking back throughout the history of Rock & Roll, it's been called dead several times.

They said it was dead in 1961, a year later The Beatles exploded onto the scene.

Some said it died at Altamont '69, but the '70s proved very good for Rock music.

Then people said it was dead in '77 with the emergence of Punk, but Hard Rock and Heavy Metal was very healthy in the '80s.

People say MTV and Hip-Hop killed Rock & Roll, but in the '90s we had REM, Nirvana and The Black Crowes...

These days, Rock & Roll is alive and well... it's just not on the radio or on TV. I think it'll go the same way as the Blues, it'll always be around in one form or another, but underground, and free from the tyranny of the pop industry... and I think that's a good thing myself.

Everyone enjoy this clip of a relatively new band called Vintage Trouble... I saw them live in June supporting The Who. They're a great band... anyone can rock but few can roll, these guys rock and roll... Big Grin

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 04:34 AM
(16-08-2013 09:12 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Looking back throughout the history of Rock & Roll, it's been called dead several times.

They said it was dead in 1961, a year later The Beatles exploded onto the scene.

Some said it died at Altamont '69, but the '70s proved very good for Rock music.

Then people said it was dead in '77 with the emergence of Punk, but Hard Rock and Heavy Metal was very healthy in the '80s.
The 80's was the death decade of Rock.

Quote:People say MTV and Hip-Hop killed Rock & Roll, but in the '90s we had REM, Nirvana and The Black Crowes...
Out of three groups mentioned, only REM was unique. Nirvana will only be remembered because Cobain killed himself, and the Black Crowes were just a talented rip-off of late 60's-early 70's british blues based rock- no originality whatsoever.

Quote:These days, Rock & Roll is alive and well... it's just not on the radio or on TV. I think it'll go the same way as the Blues, it'll always be around in one form or another, but underground, and free from the tyranny of the pop industry... and I think that's a good thing myself.
It is a good thing, but essentially, Rock is not on the radio or TV because many people don't care about it anymore.

Quote:Everyone enjoy this clip of a relatively new band called Vintage Trouble... I saw them live in June supporting The Who. They're a great band... anyone can rock but few can roll, these guys rock and roll... Big Grin
It's been done and few give a shit.

[/quote]
Find all posts by this user
24-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah, Let's party.

Find the Gps Watch latest for travelling purposes.
26-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Listen to what you enjoy and labels be damned.

I don't care what you care to label The Toadies as alternative, post-grunge, or simply rock; it won't alter my enjoyment of The Toadies. The same thing applies to 311, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Filter, Queen, Modest Mouse, Gorillaz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cake, The President of the United States, They Might Be Giants, Stone Temple Pilots, King's X, Soundgarden, etc...

If you enjoy it, just enjoy it. Let historians and catalogers on iTunes worry about genre labels... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
26-09-2013, 05:25 AM
(26-09-2013 02:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Listen to what you enjoy and labels be damned.

I don't care what you care to label The Toadies as alternative, post-grunge, or simply rock; it won't alter my enjoyment of The Toadies. The same thing applies to 311, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Filter, Queen, Modest Mouse, Gorillaz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cake, The President of the United States, They Might Be Giants, Stone Temple Pilots, King's X, Soundgarden, etc...

If you enjoy it, just enjoy it. Let historians and catalogers on iTunes worry about genre labels... Drinking Beverage

I personally prefer post-progressive yodel thrashcore. Drinking Beverage
25-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I grew up listening to typical classic rock- still sonetimes listen. Music over the last 3 or so years is good. Look at avett brothers and dawes. That's a good start
25-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Barbiturates, opiates, and too many peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwiches.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-10-2013, 10:08 PM
(17-08-2013 04:34 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 09:12 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Looking back throughout the history of Rock & Roll, it's been called dead several times.

The 80's was the death decade of Rock.

Quote:People say MTV and Hip-Hop killed Rock & Roll, but in the '90s we had REM, Nirvana and The Black Crowes...
Out of three groups mentioned, only REM was unique. Nirvana will only be remembered because Cobain killed himself, and the Black Crowes were just a talented rip-off of late 60's-early 70's british blues based rock- no originality whatsoever.

Quote:These days, Rock & Roll is alive and well... it's just not on the radio or on TV. I think it'll go the same way as the Blues, it'll always be around in one form or another, but underground, and free from the tyranny of the pop industry... and I think that's a good thing myself.
It is a good thing, but essentially, Rock is not on the radio or TV because many people don't care about it anymore.

Quote:Everyone enjoy this clip of a relatively new band called Vintage Trouble... I saw them live in June supporting The Who. They're a great band... anyone can rock but few can roll, these guys rock and roll... Big Grin
It's been done and few give a shit.

[/quote]

Well I give a shit...

SO FUCK YOU!

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2013, 10:46 PM
(26-09-2013 02:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Listen to what you enjoy and labels be damned.

I'd label it the nineties. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Rock n roll is still very much alive it just manifested itself into different genres. Metal and hardcore punk definitely keep the spirit of rock n roll alive.