What kind of a person are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2011, 05:37 AM

What kind of a person are you?
We all have our self-image. We define ourselves differently, depending on what we think our most important attributes are. Some people think they are primarily smart, some others are proud of being reliable, some consider themselves, more than anything else: compassionate, competitive, talented, funny, skillful, patient, loving, energetic, winners, losers, etc.

Ghost tried to come up with a universally defining attribute when he said: "what DO you believe? That will define you." And Stark approved of it, incorporating it in his signature.

Defacto disagreed and said, instead: “Beliefs are ambiguous. It's what you DO. That will define you.”

I thought about it an said (in another post), among other things:

Quote:What do I believe in? In many things and in nothing. I don’t like the expression ‘believe in’ because of its religious connotation. I never fully ‘believe in’ any one thing. I have doubts about everything, to lower or higher degree. I say that I respect truth above all else, but even truth is a relative term, fluid, nebulous, undefined once you look at it at a close enough range.

If I want to nail it down to one particular thing that comes closest to defining me, I would say it is doubt. You may call it sitting on a fence and not coming down on either side as a cowardly, chicken-shit attitude, but I love my doubts. They make me feel safe. They keep all doors open for me, so I am free to change my mind about anything if I see a good enough reason to do so.

So, if someone twists my arm really hard, I would make the following statement: What defines me is my relationship to the universe around me: curiosity, awe, empathy, compassion, assumptions and doubts. Belief does not come into it.

Are you, among other things, a 'courageous' person? If so, tell us about what kind of a person you think you are?

It could be a useful soul-searching exercise, but only if you are honest with yourself and with us. Smile

Have fun!
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Zatamon's post
19-10-2011, 06:15 AM
RE: What kind of a person are you?
Wow...that got me thinking, thanks for sharing, Zat.

I think my defining characteristic is a word you've already mentioned...curiosity...I'm curious about pretty much everything. I was one of those annoying kids who just said "Why?" over and over...fortunately I had patient parents!

It was probably that characteristic that meant I couldn't have remained a Christian even if I'd wanted to. It has so many questions that nobody could answer satisfactorily for me.

Curiosity has taken me all over the world, made me study history, found me a job, made me fall in love with my wife, and it's my insatiable desire for learning that keeps me getting up in the morning. I just love finding out new things.

Everything else, my morality/ethics, political views etc are all just by-products of my fascination with the world around me.

Look forward to reading other posts on this one...

S

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2011, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2011 07:39 AM by bemore.)
Ive been exploring this for a while now...who I am. I thought I knew and in some way I did, however there are a lot of aspects about myself that I didnt realise.

Like the fact that I used to be very racist....when in fact I had never had anything bad happen to me that caused me to have soo much hate.....I realised I was simply following the herd mentality and everything I was doing went against my morals.

Like people have mentioned before I too am very curious about things....I dont like to rely on other peoples opinions on things alone, however I do take fully on board what is said and I add my own experiences into the mix to come to my own conclusions.

I try to be as honest with myself as I can be.....this is probably the hardest thing anybody can do....I know im not perfect, nor do I strive to be....I realise I dont know everything and that so much can be learned from others storys, experiences and viewpoints (this is why I love this forum).....even if I think people are wrong, at least I have heard there side and learnt something from it.

(Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens-Jimi Hendrix)

I also try (sometimes foolishly) to put others needs before my own.....rational thinking about it putting others needs before my own may seem suicidal and actually goes against basic human instinct for survival.

I try to be my best and to lead by example.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
19-10-2011, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2011 08:37 AM by Peterkin.)
I hug trees. No, not when there are chainsaws involved - that could be dangerous - only in private.
Cowardice is probably as high on the list of my characteristics as empathy.
Also hypocrisy: i rarely carry out the actions i believe to be right; rarely live up to the standard of my convictions.
An aspiring artist with lots of imagination but insufficient skill; a pretty good story-teller with too few themes; a lazy activist, reluctant pioneer, mumbling lecturer.
On the other hand, i tend to see a bigger picture, to synthesize, cut through crap; can communicate ideas one to one; understand, if not always respect, another point of view.
I'm also polite and nice, except when someone irritates me or i can't resist an opportunity for sarcasm.
In brief: shades of.... anything but grey!

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
19-10-2011, 10:49 AM
(19-10-2011 08:34 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  I hug trees. No, not when there are chainsaws involved - that could be dangerous - only in private.
Cowardice is probably as high on the list of my characteristics as empathy.
Also hypocrisy: i rarely carry out the actions i believe to be right; rarely live up to the standard of my convictions.
An aspiring artist with lots of imagination but insufficient skill; a pretty good story-teller with too few themes; a lazy activist, reluctant pioneer, mumbling lecturer.
On the other hand, i tend to see a bigger picture, to synthesize, cut through crap; can communicate ideas one to one; understand, if not always respect, another point of view.
I'm also polite and nice, except when someone irritates me or i can't resist an opportunity for sarcasm.
In brief: shades of.... anything but grey!

You forgot to mention this:

A forum contributor free of self-aggrandizement whose posts exhibit a rarely seen degree of insight, lucidity, eloquence, candor, and honesty.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
19-10-2011, 10:53 AM

(19-10-2011 10:49 AM)cufflink Wrote:  You forgot to mention this:

A forum contributor free of self-aggrandizement whose posts exhibit a rarely seen degree of insight, lucidity, eloquence, candor, and honesty.

...and delightful humor, lovely and playful language, originality and creativity.

One of my top favorites here.

Smile
Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I am a borderline sociopath who has tendencies towards schizophrenia. I only say that because I can be so utterly emotionless and lacking empathy. But I have moments of pure emotion, so I know I'm not a sociopath Smile And for the schizophrenia that has more to do with my dueling brains. One side is as left as you can get, all for peoples rights over everything else, loves trees and nature, and is the biggest advocate for animals rights. A generally great guy. Then the other half of me is potentially fascist, denying human rights in favor of the greater good, the bigger picture. That half would do dastardly things to secure a future for the planet, things no humanist would ever condone. Bad things. Necessary things.

I'm also anti social on a grand scale. I like the company of certain people, and despise human contact with the rest of the world. Sometimes I don't even want to be around the people I'm closest with, but I don't tell them because I know that even though it isn't personal, it will offend them. I get claustrophobic in large groups, but not in a panicky way, more in a ragey way. It's bad news.

I want change but am a realist who doesn't expect it. I get annoyed when people confuse realist with pessimist.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
19-10-2011, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2011 02:10 PM by kim.)
You mean... specifically ... a ... a... commitment? Confused
I've come to greatly admire passionate Atheists; the more closely I interact with Theists, the greater appreciation I have for the courage of the Atheist... to say nothing of the patience involved! Wink
I used to marvel at Theists and "hard core" Atheists in general; they seemed so secure in their respective conviction, while I could not claim this security in any way because of my own lack of conviction either way. I would think, "It must be nice to know you are and will always be just so right, to have such faith." That very notion always brought me straight to the heart of why I have no "belief": One can never really, completely know anything... possibly not even one's self.
To state emphatically, I do not know, is itself the one perfect truth of my self. Though the Atheist view allows uncertainty and indeed, I have always stood furthest from the Theist; I can not extend myself to any specific certainty, for it carries equal doubt. What I don't know, is as equal to that which anyone knows. All things being equal: doubt is at once powerful and humbling. So, for the truth of my non-conviction that I do not know, responsibility toward my fellow human being who knows, becomes compassion….
I view myself as a non-theist who strives most for compassion… tendered with caution: the conviction of ignorance is equal to the power of absolute knowledge.
Dodgy Oh, and uh, I probably tend to over intellectualize when pressed for seriousness… probably a defense mechanism of those pesky, fence-sitting, insecurities. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-10-2011, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2011 06:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-10-2011 05:37 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  If so, tell us about what kind of a person you think you are?

An intolerant asshole. But I keep working at trying to rectify that character flaw.

(19-10-2011 11:22 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Sometimes I don't even want to be around the people I'm closest with, but I don't tell them because I know that even though it isn't personal, it will offend them.

Yeah, me [sic - sorry Peterkin it just sounds better to my ear this way] and my immediate family are familiar with that feeling. We live it as implicit and understood. We don't see much point in making it explicit even amongst ourselves. And verbalizing it could result in unanticipated adverse consequences. Why bother? It's understood.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-10-2011, 05:24 PM
(19-10-2011 11:22 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I am a borderline sociopath who has tendencies towards schizophrenia. I only say that because I can be so utterly emotionless and lacking empathy. But I have moments of pure emotion, so I know I'm not a sociopath Smile And for the schizophrenia that has more to do with my dueling brains. One side is as left as you can get, all for peoples rights over everything else, loves trees and nature, and is the biggest advocate for animals rights. A generally great guy. Then the other half of me is potentially fascist, denying human rights in favor of the greater good, the bigger picture. That half would do dastardly things to secure a future for the planet, things no humanist would ever condone. Bad things. Necessary things.

I'm also anti social on a grand scale. I like the company of certain people, and despise human contact with the rest of the world. Sometimes I don't even want to be around the people I'm closest with, but I don't tell them because I know that even though it isn't personal, it will offend them. I get claustrophobic in large groups, but not in a panicky way, more in a ragey way. It's bad news.

I want change but am a realist who doesn't expect it. I get annoyed when people confuse realist with pessimist.

Wow, you sound pretty similar to me. Except I don't have the politically left internal person. I am also probably slightly more cynical and even more realist without much desire to change (as anyone who read my thread in the politics forum will tell you Smile).

Totally agree with you on the realist/pessimist thing too. Does my fucking head in!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post