What kind of atheist converts to a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2014, 04:46 AM
RE: What kind of atheist converts to a theist?
(21-08-2014 04:10 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Sorry for the necro but diddo97 is a perfect example of someone who was not an atheist, becoming convinced of theism and then lying by claiming to have been a 'fundamentalist atheist' beforehand.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid630669

Just like Kirk Cameron... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2014, 04:50 AM
I believe Jeremy Walker claimed he was a former atheist too.
21-08-2014, 05:49 AM
(21-08-2014 04:10 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Sorry for the necro but diddo97 is a perfect example of someone who was not an atheist, becoming convinced of theism and then lying by claiming to have been a 'fundamentalist atheist' beforehand.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid630669

I find it hard to believe anyone was convinced by Sye Ten Bruggencate's mental masturbation.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
21-08-2014, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 06:16 AM by Mathilda.)
(21-08-2014 05:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I find it hard to believe anyone was convinced by Sye Ten Bruggencate's mental masturbation.

Crazy isn't it! Which is why I started to wonder what kind of mind would be fallible to such an argument. After all, presumably Sye Ten Bruggencate must be convinced by his own arguments.

I have noticed a pattern amongst theists, Jeremy Walker, Diddo97, Muslim, all believing in absolutes. They seem to have an inability to think in any other way. Everything must be answered in terms of yes or no.

I've read how some of the more highly educate Islamic suicide bombers are engineers. Their mindset is one of trying to find order in the world. Such a mindset relies on absolutes because they deal with rules, logic and maths.

I need to do a bit of research on abnormal psychology to see if there is anything about the inability to comprehend relative attributes. I reckon that you could do a psychology experiment to show a significantly higher percentage of theists think only in terms of absolutes. This could be worth trying to publish.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
21-08-2014, 07:34 AM
(21-08-2014 06:02 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 05:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I find it hard to believe anyone was convinced by Sye Ten Bruggencate's mental masturbation.

Crazy isn't it! Which is why I started to wonder what kind of mind would be fallible to such an argument. After all, presumably Sye Ten Bruggencate must be convinced by his own arguments.

I have noticed a pattern amongst theists, Jeremy Walker, Diddo97, Muslim, all believing in absolutes. They seem to have an inability to think in any other way. Everything must be answered in terms of yes or no.

I've read how some of the more highly educate Islamic suicide bombers are engineers. Their mindset is one of trying to find order in the world. Such a mindset relies on absolutes because they deal with rules, logic and maths.

I need to do a bit of research on abnormal psychology to see if there is anything about the inability to comprehend relative attributes. I reckon that you could do a psychology experiment to show a significantly higher percentage of theists think only in terms of absolutes. This could be worth trying to publish.

I think that grouping engineers in with those requiring absolutes is not fair to engineers. It is not, in my experience, an accurate assessment of engineers.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2014, 08:13 AM
(21-08-2014 07:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think that grouping engineers in with those requiring absolutes is not fair to engineers. It is not, in my experience, an accurate assessment of engineers.

Sorry I should have been clear in saying that it was the bomber's mindset rather than a default engineering one. When I read the article I took it not as saying that engineers had by nature such a limited mentality, but that engineering was a field where people with such mentality were able to work successfully because of their need for order.

You could make the same argument about people suffering from Asperger syndrome for example. You're probably going to find more people with Asperger's in engineering than in advertising for example.
21-08-2014, 09:04 AM
(21-08-2014 08:13 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 07:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think that grouping engineers in with those requiring absolutes is not fair to engineers. It is not, in my experience, an accurate assessment of engineers.

Sorry I should have been clear in saying that it was the bomber's mindset rather than a default engineering one. When I read the article I took it not as saying that engineers had by nature such a limited mentality, but that engineering was a field where people with such mentality were able to work successfully because of their need for order.

You could make the same argument about people suffering from Asperger syndrome for example. You're probably going to find more people with Asperger's in engineering than in advertising for example.

OK, thanks for clarifying. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2014, 09:06 AM
I guess I could see one converting to theism if they experienced something they couldn't rationalize but I still couldn't see it being a path to Yahweh.
21-08-2014, 07:08 PM
(21-08-2014 06:02 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

If you believe that reality isn't absolute, you don't. You could think you're looking at a tree when in reality you're looking at a cow.

Truth seeker.
21-08-2014, 07:13 PM
(21-08-2014 07:08 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 06:02 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Crazy isn't it! Which is why I started to wonder what kind of mind would be fallible to such an argument. After all, presumably Sye Ten Bruggencate must be convinced by his own arguments.

If you believe that reality isn't absolute, you don't. You could think you're looking at a tree when in reality you're looking at a cow.

Those words do not mean what you think they mean. What color is the traffic light?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense