What kind of atheist converts to a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: What kind of atheist converts to a theist?
(07-05-2014 01:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 12:07 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Look -- a Fezzik rhyming session comes along.

With Fezzik, you never go wrong.

It's always better with a song.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 10:10 PM
(07-05-2014 03:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 01:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  With Fezzik, you never go wrong.

It's always better with a song.

Especially when friends sing along.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
07-05-2014, 10:29 PM
(07-05-2014 10:10 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  It's always better with a song.

Especially when friends sing along.

Even more when we share a bong!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-05-2014, 10:41 PM
(07-05-2014 10:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 10:10 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Especially when friends sing along.

Even more when we share a bong!

Just avoid that one shaped like a dong...

07-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Religion gives people a sense of community, cultural identity, and many pleasing answers to very troubling questions. Pressure to fit in and a desire to "be normal" are all good reasons why someone might go back. On rare occasion, near death experiences the like can work too. I haven't heard of any atheist who went to theism for intellectual reasons... although its probably happened at least a few times.
08-05-2014, 12:21 AM
(07-05-2014 11:54 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Religion gives people a sense of community, cultural identity, and many pleasing answers to very troubling questions. Pressure to fit in and a desire to "be normal" are all good reasons why someone might go back. On rare occasion, near death experiences the like can work too. I haven't heard of any atheist who went to theism for intellectual reasons... although its probably happened at least a few times.

[Image: You+done+fucked+up.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Many people turn from belief in God when She does not keep Her "word". Many, if not all of these, get angry and then take action to hit back at God by calling themselves atheist. Of these, I believe, only a small percentage make a lasting switch.

I think many of these professed atheists who turned from God out of anger do not recover from the personal injury they sustained, keeping a constant link to what they deny--God--still personalized

These atheists will continue to nurture their anger or rationalize it and eventually, hopefully, get rid of the personal anger and rationalize their non-belief or they will eventually return to God. Some will keep to the name atheist and eat themselves up with personalized anger, never severing their link to God.

Stats show that most people raised in religion don't walk away to become atheists. And if they do, most will eventually return.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
08-05-2014, 01:15 AM
I am responding to op .. Admittedly did not read entire thread..

On a personal note lots of things in my life have fallen into place lately.. Things that I could not have achieved by simply working hard - right time right place situation that is setting me up for everything I could have ever dreamed for.. I found myself feeling "thankful" last night and had an overwhelming desire to pray ( something I haven't done for years ) in the light of unexplainable good fortune I wanted to thank someone or something.. But after a moment I went back to my rational thinking that a greater something should/would have something more pressing to help than my petty desires.. In short.. Human emotion is sometimes stronger than the mind.. .. Someone who WANTS something/one to blame or thank can talk themselves into irrational thinking

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 2 users Like k37713's post
09-05-2014, 06:55 PM
(07-05-2014 11:54 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  (...)
I haven't heard of any atheist who went to theism for intellectual reasons... (...)

Hmm, I would actually say that my intellectual interests played a pretty big part in terms of pushing me into religion - and they also help to keep me there.

My interest in Viking age and Medieval cultural history, and religion in general, definitely reinforces and informs my religion (Norse polytheism/Asatru) and vice versa. (Re)constructing a religion can be pretty fascinating - both as a religious and as an intellectual pursuit.
09-05-2014, 09:52 PM
(07-05-2014 10:41 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 10:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Even more when we share a bong!

Just avoid that one shaped like a dong...

You know it's way too long.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user