What kind of atheist converts to a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2014, 09:59 PM
RE: What kind of atheist converts to a theist?
One idea why that might happen is because the person in question probably became an atheist for attention, or because they were so angry at "god", that from an act of helplessness (why isn't god listening to me?), said god didn't exist.

The underlying reason for why they became an atheist in the first place is not because of the theists unsubstantiated claims but because as a result of their emotions they thought becoming an atheist would make people (or their god) listen to them.

After they receive their attention they return back to theism because of an evident unstable mind, delusions of grandeur, narcissism etc.

That's my take on it anyway. Obviously, the reasons are subjective as there are many factors and variables to take into account, such as the type of upbringing they had, the type of family, their own personality etc.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2014, 04:19 AM
(09-05-2014 09:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  You know it's way too long.
That's what she said. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-05-2014, 04:43 AM
(10-05-2014 04:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 09:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  You know it's way too long.
That's what she said. Drinking Beverage

Ach du liebe Güte! Heart

OP: I've yet to encounter an atheist worthy of the title who would have turned into a theist. All those Kirk Camerons and Lee Strobels, who purportedly once were atheists, were little more than ignorant fence-sitters IMO: They had no idea what to believe in in the first place, and as soon as they heard about Jesus they fell onto their knees -- GAME OVER. Dodgy

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
10-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Well, we see tons of claims by creationist trolls on here saying "I was an atheist, but then I found God!" Yeah...sure you were. I'd put every cent I have on one of two scenarios being the actual truth:

1. They're completely full of shit and have actually been Bible thumpers their whole lives (That is the most likely scenario).

or

2. They didn't grow up in a house where they were indoctrinated with anything, but they've grown up in a country surrounded by people of a certain faith, and they don't want to be an outsider, or they take comfort in the idea of "knowing" things that, in reality, they really don't know at all (what are the origins of the universe, what happens when we die, etc.). Religion provides "answers" for these questions. Those "answers" are bullshit answers, but to them a bullshit answer is better than no answer.

I've only been on this forum for about 7 or 8 months, but I would be interested in asking the long time members here: Has anybody ever been a member of this forum that was clearly an atheist (like taking part in debates making logical arguments about why religious claims are wrong), and then converted to being a theist?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
10-05-2014, 08:39 AM
(09-05-2014 09:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 10:41 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Just avoid that one shaped like a dong...

You know it's way too long.

To ever get to the end of this song?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-05-2014, 01:18 PM
(08-05-2014 12:21 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 11:54 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Religion gives people a sense of community, cultural identity, and many pleasing answers to very troubling questions. Pressure to fit in and a desire to "be normal" are all good reasons why someone might go back. On rare occasion, near death experiences the like can work too. I haven't heard of any atheist who went to theism for intellectual reasons... although its probably happened at least a few times.

[Image: You+done+fucked+up.jpg]

Oh God science I hate that meme. That one frame makes Gene Wilder look like such an ass.
10-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Someone who realizes that there's no justification for atheism.

Truth seeker.
10-05-2014, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 01:56 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(10-05-2014 01:29 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Someone who realizes that there's no justification for atheism.

Atheism and agnosticism require no justification. Extraordinary claims do.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
10-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Well its actually easy to answer, but there are many.

One is that some do it culturally. For example one might go from atheist to muslim, but still take no part in being very religious.

Second is threats. Some are actually beaten to be theist. I actually had a family member beat the crap out of me so I can say evolution is false and follow the bible again.

Third is fear. If a atheist has a NDE and sees Vishnu then he may end up as a Hindu in fear that he is displeasing his god.

Atheist becoming theist is not new. Reasons like the ones above are some of them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
10-05-2014, 06:22 PM
(10-05-2014 01:18 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 12:21 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: You+done+fucked+up.jpg]
That one frame makes Gene Wilder look like such an ass.

Did you ever read the book, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory?

Wonka was the perfect ass. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein