What kind of atheist converts to a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 03:44 AM
RE: What kind of atheist converts to a theist?
When an atheist that was once theist converts back, it is usually because the quit theism like an alcoholic quits drinking. This usually happens because they went through some event that causes them to lose faith in theism. In that emotional state, it might be easy for them to hear the atheist case and think they see the logic in it but in reality they don’t get the contradictions. At some point, they remorse whatever the theism was really providing for them like how an alcoholic morns drinking and so now the arguments to convert atheist make sense to them and they return. They were never really atheist to begin with. We could even argue that they may not have been non-theist during that time either.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 07:11 AM
My former sibling converted because the fundies had lots of desperate women.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
07-05-2014, 10:57 AM
(29-09-2013 08:32 PM)RedJamaX Wrote:  I had converted from theism to atheism my self, and I coulndn't possibly fathom how I (or anybody else) could ever switch back.

A good way to find out would be to read Surprised by Joy, the autobiography of C. S. Lewis. He began his life as a theist, became and theist, and then converted back first to theism and then to Christianity. His conversion from atheism was in two stages. He first became convinced there was a God and it was later that he became a Christian.

Quote:I think that almost all atheists who convert to theism were not atheist due to a rational, in-depth analysis of theism.

That wasn't the case with Lewis. He analyzed the things he had been taught as a child and rejected them because he felt they couldn't be true. He later discovered that atheism presented intellectual problems of its own and came back to a belief in God.

Quote:I forgot to mention, based on the conversions I have read about - MOST were triggered by some traumatic event in the person's life... possibly suggesting that it was driven by fear, or need for comfort perhaps?

Both of Lewis's conversions took place gradually and weren't the result of any particular event. His conversion to theism couldn't be attributed to a fear of death because when he first came back to theism he didn't know whether there was life after death or not. He came to the conclusion that deserved to be worshipped because of who he was rather than because of any benefits people could receive for worshipping him.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 11:31 AM
(07-05-2014 10:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  ... atheism presented intellectual problems of its own ...

I doubt that. Atheism presents many emotional and cultural discomforts that some minds cannot overcome, but intellectual problems, no.

Theism is nothing but intellectual problems. Even supposing atheism did present intellectual conundrums, abandoning atheism for theism because of intellectual difficulties would be jumping out of a boat into the sea because you dislike getting wet.

Whatever the reasons for leaving atheism, and there are many legitimate reasons for doing so when the full human psyche and culture we inhabit is reckoned for, intellectual rigor will not be among them. And yes, it will occasionally be asserted that it WAS a reason, but looked into will be found to be a chimera, a covering up of something irrational.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
07-05-2014, 11:58 AM
The kind who didn't think it through.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-05-2014, 12:03 PM
(07-05-2014 11:58 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  The kind who didn't think it through.
...because they were too full of woo.

I feel a rap song coming on. Tongue

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
07-05-2014, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 12:08 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(07-05-2014 10:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(29-09-2013 08:32 PM)RedJamaX Wrote:  I had converted from theism to atheism my self, and I coulndn't possibly fathom how I (or anybody else) could ever switch back.

A good way to find out would be to read Surprised by Joy, the autobiography of C. S. Lewis. He began his life as a theist, became and theist, and then converted back first to theism and then to Christianity. His conversion from atheism was in two stages. He first became convinced there was a God and it was later that he became a Christian.

Not interested in the rantings of a delusional twat. Fallacious Appeal to Authority. Fuck C.S. Lewis, fuck your apologetics, and fuck you.

Quote:
Quote:I think that almost all atheists who convert to theism were not atheist due to a rational, in-depth analysis of theism.

That wasn't the case with Lewis. He analyzed the things he had been taught as a child and rejected them because he felt they couldn't be true. He later discovered that atheism presented intellectual problems of its own and came back to a belief in God.

Yeah, right. Problems like, "If I don't believe in fucking fairy tales, how the fuck can I believe in fairy tales?". You xtards and your convoluted notions of logic. FFS.

Quote:
Quote:I forgot to mention, based on the conversions I have read about - MOST were triggered by some traumatic event in the person's life... possibly suggesting that it was driven by fear, or need for comfort perhaps?

Both of Lewis's conversions took place gradually and weren't the result of any particular event. His conversion to theism couldn't be attributed to a fear of death because when he first came back to theism he didn't know whether there was life after death or not.

Non Sequitur. Fear of death has nothing to do with belief in any sort of afterlife or not. We still don't want to die, regardless of what we think or believe about any sort of life-after-death fantasy myth.

Quote: He came to the conclusion that deserved to be worshipped because of who he was rather than because of any benefits people could receive for worshipping him.

You have shown precisely nothing even remotely convincing with this.

07-05-2014, 12:07 PM
(07-05-2014 12:03 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 11:58 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  The kind who didn't think it through.
...because they were too full of woo.

Look -- a Fezzik rhyming session comes along.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Not every Atheist gets to their position through critical thought.

I'm not surprised some go the other way.

The Out Crowd.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
07-05-2014, 01:22 PM
(07-05-2014 12:07 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 12:03 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ...because they were too full of woo.

Look -- a Fezzik rhyming session comes along.

With Fezzik, you never go wrong.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user