What kind of god would you LIKE?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 07:09 AM

RE: What kind of god would you LIKE?
(16-11-2011 09:32 PM)paulesungnomo Wrote:  hey Zatamon!

i think your idea about every living thing being able to survive with photosythesis is pretty damn cool. there is the problem of energy (plants don't get around much...) but then i guess this 'god' could have made the sun a bit stonger! (not the bad parts, just the yummy turn into C6H12O6 parts!

anyway... i can't say the people who disagree are wrong, they are jut not being quite as imaginative about it; still applying standards based on our current planet to your imaginary one.

i agree that a world without predation would be pretty nice. it would require a complete re-working of our current reality, but hey, we are talking about an omnipotent (not an imaginary genocidal douche fucker like that yaweh chraracter and his creepy kid) god, so anything is possible! he would be like a friend in the sky, it would be impossible not to believe in him, because he wouldn't be hiding.

the parts about competition that your detractors brought up are right... but only in the context of this current reality. Zatamon is not just imagining a world with just one or two tweaks, he is re-working the whole damn thing. which is what the post was asking, so agree!

oh....and i will take leaves coming out of my ears anyday!

Hey Paul,

Welcome to the Forum. Smile

Very good post, you were the first to notice that a complete redesign is necessary.

It would be nice to hear other ideas about this complete redesign (instead of just tweaking what we have now).

One annoying thing: your avatar is BLINKING at me -- driving me nuts. Good thing I am not epileptic or it might trigger a seizure! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
17-11-2011, 08:16 AM
(16-11-2011 09:19 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Here's the thing.

Our life does mean something. It can't not. Human cognition doesn't work any other way. Even nothing means something.
Our? You're contention is falsified by the continuing existence of Johnny Cantor.

If it is "human cognition," then human cognition is a theory in search of new corollary. Here it is: 4. In no uncertain terms, I have reverse-engineered standard cognition and rewrote my own code -"I love my Gwynnies."

What does it mean, that every expression that is mine; is merely another expression of my love for her? Show of hands?

It means - that this is meaningless. Posting in reply to you. Discussing atheism. Diverting a quarter of my income, a percentage of my life's entropy, to tell this cat he's wrong when this cat doesn't even speak to me no morez.

All is Vanity!

Sorry, flashback... anywho, why is one expression of love preferred over the other? What is the meaning of meaninglessness? What is the root?

Hunger.

We exist, because we are hungry; cognition is mere by-product.

People keep telling me about this death thing - atheists, even - but what does the math say? Hunger is life. Satiation, extinction - but these are not words, these are numbers... every second is, what? 5.13^10^43 units of Planck time... lemme try and write that out.

3,000,000,000,000 cells... 3,000,000,000 base pairs, of 4 - gcat

What is the root of hunger? Inertia.

"Our" life cannot have meaning. "Matt's" life must have meaning. This is the proper use of duality to maximize "meaning" and minimize "meaninglessness."

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-11-2011, 08:44 AM

(17-11-2011 08:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 09:19 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Our life does mean something. It can't not. Human cognition doesn't work any other way. Even nothing means something.
What is the meaning of meaninglessness?

Very good question, Cantor!

I have an even better one:

What is the meaning of 'meaning'?

The more I say the word, the more meaningless it becomes.

Try it:

Meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning, meaning.......

Facts: We live, we fuck, we die......where the hell is the meaning?

Meaning of what? meaning to whom, meaning why?

Sorry, Ghost, but without proper definition of the word 'meaning' I just have no idea what it means to you.
17-11-2011, 12:28 PM
This has degenerated into sillyness. I'm out. Semiotics. Look it up.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
17-11-2011, 12:34 PM

So now that we are done with the topic of 'meaning' -- can we go back to the original purpose of the thread: "What kind of god would you LIKE?"

I made a few suggestions for a complete redesign and I would LOVE to hear more (if it is out of the box and goes beyond mere tweaking the shit we got now).

Huh

I think cufflink is hiding under a rock somewhere for having started this thread -- even though it is (and still could be) an oustandingly interesting thread, challenging human imagination and creativity to come up with a truly INTELLIGENT DESIGN! Smile
17-11-2011, 01:22 PM
(17-11-2011 12:34 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  So now that we are done with the topic of 'meaning' -- can we go back to the original purpose of the thread: "What kind of god would you LIKE?"

I made a few suggestions for a complete redesign and I would LOVE to hear more (if it is out of the box and goes beyond mere tweaking the shit we got now).

Huh

I think cufflink is hiding under a rock somewhere for having started this thread -- even though it is (and still could be) an oustandingly interesting thread, challenging human imagination and creativity to come up with a truly INTELLIGENT DESIGN! Smile

I also like the idea of surviving with photosynthesis. There could be an immense variety, lots of individuality -including carnivorous. With life cycles involving either seed, clone rooting, cut/graft… instead of skin cells, shedding of leaves & petals would be common.

Being a vegetarian, it's a bit ironic I find this a fascinating idea - the shoe is on the other foot!! Big Grin

One issue.... are we confined to our little blue dot? Not that several billion years is not enough... I'm just saying.
If our intelligent design redecorates the entirety of the cosmos... I'd still like to look at the stars at night... that's all. Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-11-2011, 01:31 PM

(17-11-2011 01:22 PM)kim Wrote:  One issue.... are we confined to our little blue dot? Not that several billion years is not enough... I'm just saying.
If our intelligent design redecorates the entirety of the cosmos... I'd still like to look at the stars at night... that's all. Blush

Excellent idea, kim!

I would like a god who either brought the stars a lot closer together, so we could travel to their planets, or do away with Einstein's speed limit! Big Grin
17-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:Kim:
One issue.... are we confined to our little blue dot? Not that several billion years is not enough... I'm just saying.
If our intelligent design redecorates the entirety of the cosmos... I'd still like to look at the stars at night... that's all.

Go, build you a space-ark with enormous solar sails - engine power and pilot-food in a single process - and look at them close up. Maybe inseminate other planets... but ask politely whether they'll let you.

My planet is one big interconnected conscious community: if a sample of life-forms goes off exploring, they can, continuously or intermittently, report back by telepathy, so we all share in the adventure.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
17-11-2011, 03:29 PM

(14-11-2011 05:08 PM)cufflink Wrote:  So here’s the challenge: If god existed and you had the power to tell him what to do, what would you say to him? Or if you yourself were an omnipotent, omniscient god, how would you set up and manage the world?

I will do something different: I will actually answer the question in the OP. Tongue

I would tell god to resign and make room for one us -- almost anyone on this Forum could do a better job! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
17-11-2011, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2011 06:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-11-2011 08:44 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  Facts: We live, we fuck, we die.

"Birth, copulation and death. That's all the facts when you come to the brass tacks." - T.S. Eliot

(17-11-2011 08:44 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  ......where the hell is the meaning? ... Meaning of what? meaning to whom, meaning why?

It's whatever I make up to keep myself from throwing myself under the train. Wink

(17-11-2011 01:22 PM)kim Wrote:  Being a vegetarian, it's a bit ironic I find this a fascinating idea - the shoe is on the other foot!! Big Grin

The problem I have with vegetarianism is that it assumes that plant life is somehow less deserving than animal life (well, that's not true for plants you can eat without killing, so eating fruit is fine). Feels a tad arrogant to me.

(17-11-2011 12:28 PM)Ghost Wrote:  This has degenerated into sillyness. I'm out. Semiotics. Look it up.

You seem to get discouraged rather quickly.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.