What kind of god would you LIKE?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 07:25 PM

RE: What kind of god would you LIKE?
(17-11-2011 06:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The problem I have with vegetarianism is that it assumes that plant life is somehow less deserving than animal life (well, that's not true for plants you can eat without killing, so eating fruit is fine). Feels a tad arrogant to me.

In defense of vegetarianism (I am one of those), I would prefer photosynthesis, if only I could convince bloody god to make it possible.

Failing that, we do the best we can.

One of the most common challenges vegetarians face from carnivores is: "how do you know that the carrot does not mind being eaten".

That is why I summarize my "vegetarian rule" as follows: "I don't eat anything that visibly objects to being eaten". I stick a pin into each carrot before I eat it and if it recoils and tries to get away -- I won't eat it.

It has never happened yet.

I may be deluding myself, but if it is the carrot or I -- I am selfish enough to sacrifice the carrot on the altar of self-preservation. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
17-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm another anti vegetarian feeling it's just not quite our natural way of omnivorous life to skip flesh. And also following the vegetarian is a form of herbicide belief.

Haven't really read the thread but if I had a deity it would be a kitty. And I bet we'd all be dead =p It's hard to imagine the type of world a being people seem to desire would create. This one needs something nice and chaotic because chaos is what the world is all about. Yay kitties!!!

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
17-11-2011, 07:52 PM

(17-11-2011 07:33 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  ...Haven't really read the thread...

Lilith, you really should read the whole thread -- it is quite a fascinating roller-coaster!

(17-11-2011 07:33 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm another anti vegetarian feeling it's just not quite our natural way of ...

That is the second most frequently heard argument (after the carrot): "It is the 'natural' way!"

...to wihich I usually reply: "so is shitting on the sidewalk -- just ask any dog"!

We don't seem to have any trouble with dismissing "natural" things, like dying of an infection or staying on the ground without wings. It is only about eating meat that we insist on the 'natural' way.

So, have we evolved or not? You can't have it both ways! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
17-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Off topic and not meant to derail. I like eating meat because it tastes great. The only thing that would make it better is if it could scream while I was biting into it. Or if it were human. Same with veggies, I'd like them more if they let me know it hurt them a lot for me to eat them. Then I would enjoy it more. Other than the first two sentences I am completely full of shit here. Especially about liking veggies even if they would show pain... I'd still hate the bastards.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
17-11-2011, 08:14 PM

lucradis, you evil clown, you are incorrigible! Big Grin
17-11-2011, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2011 08:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-11-2011 07:25 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(17-11-2011 06:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The problem I have with vegetarianism is that it assumes that plant life is somehow less deserving than animal life (well, that's not true for plants you can eat without killing, so eating fruit is fine). Feels a tad arrogant to me.

In defense of vegetarianism (I am one of those), I would prefer photosynthesis, if only I could convince bloody god to make it possible.

As an omnivore living mainly on the carniverous side, I would prefer photosyntheisis too.

(17-11-2011 07:25 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  That is why I summarize my "vegetarian rule" as follows: "I don't eat anything that visibly objects to being eaten". I stick a pin into each carrot before I eat it and if it recoils and tries to get away -- I won't eat it.

It has never happened yet.

I may be deluding myself, but if it is the carrot or I -- I am selfish enough to sacrifice the carrot on the altar of self-preservation. Big Grin

So that poor carrot just didn't respond quickly enough for you? 'Cause I can stick a fork in a carrot and come back the next day and see how it's recoiled.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-11-2011, 08:19 PM
I shit in public, I just go behind trees to avoid the law =p I don't really follow society very well. I understand that almost every human action can be seen as unnatural, but of course in the end everyone has to accept that anything we do is in turn natural. I'm just giving you my quibbles =p When I'm with a vegetarian I tend to eat the same food as they do as I like to be respectful i just don't see how anyone can convince themselves that one sort of life is less than another. I prefer not to think about the amount of life I kill every day. It makes me desire very much to not exist. I'll probably read this later. I'm just not on that much currently and there are a lot of pages 0_0

and yes photosynthesis would be awesome

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-11-2011, 08:36 PM

(17-11-2011 08:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So that poor carrot just didn't respond quickly enough for you?

Damn right -- it had its chance! Big Grin
(17-11-2011 08:19 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  ...in the end everyone has to accept that anything we do is in turn natural.

...that includes vegetarianism too! Wink

Quote:i just don't see how anyone can convince themselves that one sort of life is less than another.

I am a live-and-let-live kind of vegetarian. Not trying to proselytyze at all, but if I am dragged on the carpet (in this case by GirlyMan, replying to Kim), I do my best to defend myself. Usually successfully. Big Grin
17-11-2011, 08:52 PM
that's why I said my quibbles cause they don't really lead to a real answer. i was disproving myself there zatamon =p

17-11-2011, 08:54 PM
(17-11-2011 08:36 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I am a live-and-let-live kind of vegetarian. Not trying to proselytyze at all, but if I am dragged on the carpet (in this case by GirlyMan, replying to Kim), I do my best to defend myself. Usually successfully. Big Grin

If we don't already have an old thread on vegetarianism around here somewhere, we might think about starting one.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.