What kind of mental disorder is this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 06:47 AM
What kind of mental disorder is this?
Last summer I was doing some volunteering work in the nature. I really liked the community there, it's mostly students and some kindred minds. And there was a guy there, from the famous mathemathical-physical faculty of Charles University.

The Matphys as it's called is well-known for the peculiar minds it shelters. There are many jokes about matphysers, for exaple,
Why mathpysers wear checkered shirts? To determine coordinates where their back is itching.

Theorem: a cat has nine tails.
Proof:No cat has eight tails. A cat has one tail more than no cat.
Therefore, a cat has nine tails.

But really, if you watch TBBT and know Sheldon Cooper, this is not a right example, although it's not that far off. A mathphyser puts much less emphasis on personal hygiene. It's sometimes hard to tell them apart from hobos. But the fact remains they're highly intelligent and can handle the most arcane mathemathics and programming.
I must also add, that I met two other mathphysers who were quite all right and great people too, if a little quirky. Hell, they had more emotions than me.

So I met this one mathphyser, he was totally out of his mind, or perhaps totally inside it. You know, blank face, idly muttering, hunched posture, hands raised above in a spasm, as if he'd forget to put them down. Bearded, long-haired, scruffy looking.
But otherwise normal, capable of necessary communication, work and in good physical condition. The worst thing is, I know the symptoms. I know the shift of consciousness from outside to the inside world, the eyes glaze over, the vision blurs and the inner eye of mind takes over. The person is then focused totally inside on the thought process, not seeing, hearing or feeling emotions. The body gets stiff as a safe mode to avoid falling over. It is quite an addictive state of mind, or rather it becomes a habit, into which one slips in any idle while. Or even while driving a car. (it's handy to have a co-driver to scream when that happens)

Hell, I'm not totally free from it myself, but it's much better today than it was years ago. At that time I might pass for a honorary mathphyser, if I'd have more interest in mathemathics, but that's not what I want to do with my life. Quite opposite, I'd like to get rid completely of this disorder, whatever it is.

But what it actually is? I'm not sure. Please look at this video (very enlightening btw)

There you'll see a little bird and his two hemispheres. While the right hemisphere watches out for hungry cats, the left hemisphere allows it to pick a single hardly visible wheat grain among grains of sand and gravel. And the corpus callosum is there between the hemispheres as the way to allow one hemisphere take over the other one, or something like that.

The disorder that I describe seems to me like a total domination of left hemisphere over the right one. And I know a certain psychologist and this psychologist has one patient who's very much like our exemplary mathphyser that I described. I only don't know how this condition is classified and how it's treated, so I can't look it up. It doesn't seem like anything common on the internets, like ADHD, bipolar, and so on.

I know what you think, it's called a pathologic cranial dictatorship disorder and it's cured by lots of fucking and mindblowing orgasms to stun the evil left brain, combined with applying orally copious amounts of ethanol to uproot the overgrown neuron weed. Also there is an experimental surgical treatment, though its ethical aspects are doubtful. It involves severing the patient from his umbilical data cable and cutting out his siamese laptop.

But seriously, I call onto your collective knowledge if you have any serious information on this fascinating affliction.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2012, 06:51 AM
RE: What kind of mental disorder is this?
those people aren't ill, they're just evolving in another direction, in a few million years they'll be something like vulcans and we'll still be humans, because we'll still be alive of course, and there's no changing our own genes Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
02-03-2012, 02:29 PM
(02-03-2012 06:51 AM)nach_in Wrote:  those people aren't ill, they're just evolving in another direction, in a few million years they'll be something like vulcans and we'll still be humans, because we'll still be alive of course, and there's no changing our own genes Tongue
Good hypothesis, but I think it's an evolutionary dead end. They usually don't reproduce, except accidentally when some of them discover something and get rich. Why else would I ask for a cure?
29-03-2012, 05:18 PM
OK, so I consulted a psychologist I know about this kind of mental disorder. She definitely knows the syndrome, has some clients with it, for example programmers.
The problem is, this syndrome is not yet medically named and recognized. And so there is no known method of cure. The psychologist just tries to have a deeply emotional talk with the clients, to rouse some emotions in them.

Dammit science, what you don't invent yourself, you don't have.
29-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Aspergers. Except it has nothing to do with being clean or not.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-03-2012, 05:37 PM
They're just re cycled sophists only smarter.

Seriously, do you know of any creditable scientific explanations for Savants?
29-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I posted this once before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lQa3q_OAk

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-03-2012, 08:01 PM
(29-03-2012 05:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  Aspergers. Except it has nothing to do with being clean or not.

How much do you know of Aspergers? My brother was diagnosed with it this year, and still do not feel like I know much if anything at all.
29-03-2012, 08:18 PM
My nephew has Aspergers and a former boss had a son that had a very strong case of it. There is a lot of info online about it. My nephew is pretty high functioning.

When my nephew was very young he started showing signs of becoming fixated on certain topics, he had to know everything about it. As young as two he knew the names of many dinosaurs, as well as facts about them. If you research you find a description of "The Little Professor".

He still isn't good with social interaction and is much more comfortable with facts, he will try to turn any conversation back to facts. He is smart and knows a lot with an almost photographic memory but just can't seem to use that information in any conversational manner.

My old boss' son had more of the physical tics and made repetitive noises and was prone to eating one type of food for long periods of time.

Aspergers is within the autism spectrum...at the less extreme end but there are many variations in the effects and behaviors that go with it depending on the extent of the syndrome.

Mainly, they can be highly intelligent but often have to be worked with quite extensively to learn social skills. There are often struggles in that they don't read facial expressions and tone of voice, they are very black and white and quite focused on their current obsession.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-03-2012, 08:25 PM
(29-03-2012 08:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My nephew has Aspergers and a former boss had a son that had a very strong case of it. There is a lot of info online about it. My nephew is pretty high functioning.

When my nephew was very young he started showing signs of becoming fixated on certain topics, he had to know everything about it. As young as two he knew the names of many dinosaurs, as well as facts about them. If you research you find a description of "The Little Professor".

He still isn't good with social interaction and is much more comfortable with facts, he will try to turn any conversation back to facts. He is smart and knows a lot with an almost photographic memory but just can't seem to use that information in any conversational manner.

My old boss' son had more of the physical tics and made repetitive noises and was prone to eating one type of food for long periods of time.

Aspergers is within the autism spectrum...at the less extreme end but there are many variations in the effects and behaviors that go with it depending on the extent of the syndrome.

Mainly, they can be highly intelligent but often have to be worked with quite extensively to learn social skills. There are often struggles in that they don't read facial expressions and tone of voice, they are very black and white and quite focused on their current obsession.
Thanks Angie. I had a hunch on the social part. My younger brother has a lot of interaction issues. Then....he is really obsessed with math and science. Believe he was even deamed a student with a college level of such and I was like... Shocking Wow! Maybe he should be educating me!
Then there is a lot I do not understand about him or what he goes through. He has torrets too.