What kind of tree would you guess this is?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Apparently my childhood neighbor didn't have common sense.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
RE: What kind of tree would you guess this is?
Alas, that oak tree will soon outcompete a nearby fruit tree. The acorns will be soaking up all the nutrients the ground has to offer right at the same time your apples and plums need them most. The oak is just a better survivor. Sad to say, if it's close, I'd say remove it. Either that or get poorer and poorer yields from your fruit trees every year, and a very shortened lifespan.

Oh, an a handy tip that's super easy.....as soon as that plum tree puts on little tiny fruits, prune any fruit that doesn't hang straight down, and of those remaining, only fruit that is six inches apart. You'll still get plenty of fruit in the end, it will be twice as big, have a longer ripe period, store longer in the fridge, and best of all it will be sweeter and juicier. Do the same with your apple tree , but the fruit is better off eight or so inches apart, especially as the tree gets bigger.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Erx... were the former homeowners Czech?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
(11-08-2012 08:17 PM)kim Wrote:  Erx... were the former homeowners Czech?

They were some sort of disabled I think. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-08-2012, 08:55 PM
(11-08-2012 08:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 08:17 PM)kim Wrote:  Erx... were the former homeowners Czech?

They were some sort of disabled I think. Confused

Disabled? Blink If that means scatterbrained - they were Czech. Thumbsup

Most Czechs around these parts all have at least one apple tree, a plum tree if they can get the right kind and an oak tree... also cherry trees are highly prized. They usually get around to planting them in the worst places. They love gardening, they're just crappy at it. Dodgy

Your plums look like what we call "pruna" plums - the kind used in knedliky pruna - or plum dumplings - one of my favorite dishes. They have a very short season... but so worth it.
[Image: hungarian+plum+dumplings.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Czechs may be crappy gardeners, but damn can they cook.

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
11-08-2012, 09:03 PM
(11-08-2012 08:55 PM)kim Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 08:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  They were some sort of disabled I think. Confused

Disabled? Blink If that means scatterbrained - they were Czech. Thumbsup

Most Czechs around these parts all have at least one apple tree, a plum tree if they can get the right kind and an oak tree... also cherry trees are highly prized. They usually get around to planting them in the worst places. They love gardening, they're just crappy at it. Dodgy

Your plums look like what we call "pruna" plums - the kind used in knedliky pruna - or plum dumplings - one of my favorite dishes. They have a very short season... but so worth it.
[Image: hungarian+plum+dumplings.jpg]

Pruna! Maybe that's why I associated the word prune as a kid.
I feel slightly less silly now. But only slightly.

~Izel
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
(11-08-2012 08:06 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Alas, that oak tree will soon outcompete a nearby fruit tree. The acorns will be soaking up all the nutrients the ground has to offer right at the same time your apples and plums need them most. The oak is just a better survivor. Sad to say, if it's close, I'd say remove it. Either that or get poorer and poorer yields from your fruit trees every year, and a very shortened lifespan.

Oh, an a handy tip that's super easy.....as soon as that plum tree puts on little tiny fruits, prune any fruit that doesn't hang straight down, and of those remaining, only fruit that is six inches apart. You'll still get plenty of fruit in the end, it will be twice as big, have a longer ripe period, store longer in the fridge, and best of all it will be sweeter and juicier. Do the same with your apple tree , but the fruit is better off eight or so inches apart, especially as the tree gets bigger.

Great tips, but it all sounds like too much effort for my lazy ass. Dodgy

~Izel
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
(11-08-2012 08:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Czechs may be crappy gardeners, but damn can they cook.

No kidding! Everyone in my family are insane cooks. Smile Except one aunt; to clarify, she loves to cook... but she just sucks at it. Ugh - her knedliky is the worst - like little rocks. Honestly, if you can't boil water, you just need to hang it up. Dodgy

Lucky for me... I'm a mutt; insane gardener and insane cook. Thumbsup

11-08-2012, 10:49 PM
(11-08-2012 09:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Lucky for me... I'm a mutt; insane gardener and insane cook. Thumbsup

Stop teasing me. I think it moved.

[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post