What led you down the path to Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Lightbulb What led you down the path to Atheism?
For me, it would be Evolution. I was never taught Evolution at my Catholic high school, and when I asked my father about it, he told me it was a ''just a theory''. When I started doubting my faith a few years back, it was the first subject I decided to educate myself with because I heard that a vast amount of believers oppose it, as they believe it cannot co-exist with religious doctrine. And then when I discovered that life could evolve through the process of natural selection without divine intervention, my journey began.
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2010, 08:11 AM
RE: What led you down the path to Atheism?
Welcome to the forums, IHR282!

As for myself, there really was no "path" to atheism. I just never believed.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Well, for me it started when i started to learn about critical thinking and skepticism, so when i applied critical thinking to religion i found out that there really isn't much evidence for one god or another.
08-07-2010, 08:28 AM
If you really want to know, there is a thread here: http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/show...hp?tid=412

We've all posted in it I think Smile

08-07-2010, 08:48 AM

(08-07-2010 08:11 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Welcome to the forums, IHR282!

As for myself, there really was no "path" to atheism. I just never believed.

Thanks for the welcome!. I'm glad to have found a place where I can discuss such matters.
08-07-2010, 08:58 AM

I started when I was young, when my parents told me there was no Santa Clause or Tooth Fairy. It wasn't til I started thinking about the beginning of time in early teen years, and I started asking questions that no one could answer, that I really didn't believe anymore. Then it all ended when my cousin told me what Atheists were.
08-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies!. Also, I was wondering if someone could recommend me a book?. I've read The God delusion and God is not great, but I'm looking for another book that focuses more on the psychological aspect of religion. Has anyone read Religion Explained by Pascal Boyer, and if so, is it any good?
08-07-2010, 10:43 AM

all i needed was some commonsense. wa la! i was an atheist.
08-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Unfortunately, I became an Atheist right after my grandfather's death. I guess my grandfather was on a "waiting list" for people to stay alive.

When I was a kid, I did wonder why my prayers weren't answered, but I always thought that this god would get around to it some day. Now I know exactly why.
08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Atheist, born and raised. Although I remember the first time I truly thought about god. I was posed with the question as to whether or not language is a gift from god while I was at school(heavily Christian community). I pondered it for a while, decided that no, with or without god, humans would still have the ability to communicate. And I got the question wrong.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!