What made you an Atheist and not an Agnostic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 02:13 AM
RE: What made you an Atheist and not an Agnostic?
Lovely necropost. The quote below is from January and the person you quoted last logged in in September. I hope you aren't holding your breath for a reply. Kindly check the time-stamp before disturbing the unquiet slumber of any more dead threads.

(22-12-2014 08:23 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 08:19 AM)Baruch Wrote:  Atheism is just a lack of belief in a god or gods - that's it.

I dunno, imho, this is too simplistic a definition. I don't care what it says in the dictionary, I'm interested in how things work in the real world.

Because nothing says honest debate like redefining terms to suit your purpose.

(22-12-2014 08:23 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  And then there is another kind of atheist, the kind of person who comes to atheist forums every day and has many opinions on the subject.

This person has such a passion for the subject, and a such collection of opinions, that "lacks belief in gods" seems an insufficient description, almost deceptive.

So for holding opinions or having a passion you would disqualify us from being an atheist? Atheists are fine so long as they remain unobtrusive, silent in the corner, out of sight and out of mind but the moment we dare form an opinion then you deem us to be more than simply atheists? What sort of arrogance does it take to tell another person what they do or do not believe?

(22-12-2014 08:23 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  It seems more accurate to describe this person as having affirmative beliefs in ideas which compete with religion, such as reason and science.

That would be accurate so long as you simply describe the person in question as an "atheist and rationalist" or "atheist and scientist". The first term relates to their lack of belief in a deity and requires no redefinition whatsoever. The second term tells you something about what they do believe, assuming the label is accurate.

(22-12-2014 08:56 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  What I'm trying to avoid is that clever little game some (not all) play where they make all kinds of assertions, and then when you try to challenge their assertions, they retreat in to...

Fine. Here's one quick tip on avoiding that problem: Ask don't tell.

If you ask me my opinion I will likely divulge it, assuming I have one. I will likely make some form of assertion and, assuming there is a difference of opinions, we can now have a debate.

If you tell me what I believe you have just insulted me and made an assumption that may lack any basis whatsoever. You have never met me yet you state that you know my beliefs better than I do myself. Your assumption leads you to debate somebody who may well not exist. I will most likely tell you to fold your arrogance until it's all pointy corners and relocate it so that only the most talented of proctologists will ever discover it.

(22-12-2014 08:56 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  "Oh no, you can't pin anything on me"

Yes. That sort of weasely dishonesty can be quite vexing. So do tell us Baba. What do you believe. You've been dodging that question quite long enough.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-12-2014, 09:29 PM
(22-12-2014 06:46 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  RogueWarrior, thanks for offering an example of what I was referring to.

You pose as someone who just "doesn't hold a belief in gods" but it's obvious you are really someone who has a strong competing belief system.

But perhaps you don't want to defend your own beliefs, preferring to stay on the attack, and so you do the "merely don't hold a belief in god" thing.

There's no crime in that, I just don't find is at all persuasive. I prefer, have a belief, state the belief, defend the belief, without all the clever little definitional game hiding places.

Don't misunderstand me.
If someone is willing to define a supernatural god, I will happily dissect it.
But I am not going to preemptively dissect all gods. I can't conceive all possible definitions for a god so it would not be possible to dissect them all. I would rather play golf than possibly dissect gods no one has dreamed of.
27-12-2014, 09:34 PM
OP joined Jan 2014, made one post......

Dodgy

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
28-12-2014, 08:32 AM
(27-12-2014 09:34 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  OP joined Jan 2014, made one post......

Dodgy

Probably expected everybody to slap their foreheads, say "why didn't I think of that", and run off to join the closest Christian church. After all, an argument from ignorance is a slam-dunk!
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
28-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Yer mom.
28-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Atheism and Agnosticism are answers to different questions and are by no means mutually exclusive. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
28-12-2014, 10:29 PM
According to the bible, god did. Smile
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
03-01-2015, 01:51 PM
(12-01-2014 03:30 AM)Air Wrote:  The question is simple, why atheism and not agnostic in the first place?

What do you know that scientists have studied for decades and still dont know yet YOU know?

Atheism is the believe that something came out of nothing but how does something come from nothing?

Creating a child needs a man and a woman and the sperm creates the child so something came to be so that child was born, obviously nothing can come from ''nothing'', sounds good on paper but in reality makes no logical sense.

Is the possibility of a talking snake impossible? Who knows, i dont know so i wont pretend that i do.

Honestly, it's OK to say you don't know. Many atheists are actually truly agnostic. I don't "know" that there is no God. But I also have seen no evidence of its existence. Most everything I have seen can be explained through science, and everything that can't be explained is "I don't know". But someday I may know.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
03-01-2015, 07:29 PM
(03-01-2015 01:51 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Honestly, it's OK to say you don't know. Many atheists are actually truly agnostic.

Yes. They are agnostic atheists.

Gnostic Theist: Believes in a deity and knows that it exists
Agnostic Theist: Believes in a deity but is unsure if it exists
Agnostic Atheist: Does not believe in a deity but is insure that it does not exist
Gnostic Atheist: Does not believe in a deity and knows that it doesn't exist

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
03-01-2015, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 11:59 PM by TheGulegon.)
I'll tell ya what makes me use the title atheist before using agnostic! Dodgy

All the countless gods, goddeses, demi-g's, spirits, and any other supernatural entities, people have imagined up (<---key phrase there) over the entirety of human history whose names are forgotten, plus the ones whose names we remember but currently superstitious people write off as not real & having been made up in the minds of the superstitious people of that time, plus statements made by founders of religions who have not been dead all that long like....

[Image: atheist-quotes-13.jpg]

Equals bullshit! Undecided
So sure I don't know for certain that anything you might think up inside your own little mind (like a bag of popcorn the size of the moon) doesn't somehow exist somewhere! But I'll need to see the receipt!!! Dodgy
So I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were no gods existing now, or have existed anywhere (other than inside the minds of the delusional), ever!
The utter shock would be if one of these (330 million of them to choose from Hinduism alone) gawds finally, for the 1st time in the 50,000+ years our ancestors looked to the sky to contemplate why the sky was blue, stepped out of the clouds, in front of a bunch of atheists, and actually said...