What made you an Atheist and not an Agnostic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2015, 04:06 PM
RE: What made you an Atheist and not an Agnostic?
(05-01-2015 08:28 AM)Free Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 11:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  @ Free. I have to agree here with Paleo. Everyone is also born not knowing anything and unaware of everything except for mom’s milk and that is instinctive not learned.

So it woud be more accurate to say we are all atheist until taught about deities but this could be said for the vast majority of what we eventually learn, be it how to read or write or what we know about the universe. So the default position on all knowledge is nil. What we learn and accept as true will depend on our parents, teachers and the society we live in.

Teaching children about imaginary, non-provable, non-testable deities in this time and age is tantamount to child abuse imo.

A little history here.

The oldest known written use of the word "atheist" is traced to the Epistle to the Ephesians in this entry:

Eph 2:12 and that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world.

Paul was writing to the Ephesians and reminding them that before they received his gospel, they were atheists. That was their state of being before they got involved in religion. That was their state of being the day they were born, and all through their life until they were taught doctrine.

All people are "godless"- atheists- until they get indoctrinated. It is the natural state of being for all of us.

Again, you do not become an atheist. You are born as one, and you become a religionist, if you get indoctrinated. When you leave religion, you are only returning back to your state of atheism, and re-entering the realm of reason.

Atheism has existed long before any religion was ever thought of for the simple reason that before you can believe in any gods, you must first be godless, and being godless is the oldest definition of atheism.

The purest definition of atheism is historical, and it means to be "godless," and in modern terms it is synonymous with the definition of:

3. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Atheists are those who are godless, which necessarily implies a lack of beliefs. And that is the most natural state of being for all people since that is, in fact, the way we were born.

Hence, atheism is a state of being, not a position held.

Smile

I’m not sure we’re saying different things Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 04:14 PM
(05-01-2015 04:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 08:28 AM)Free Wrote:  A little history here.

The oldest known written use of the word "atheist" is traced to the Epistle to the Ephesians in this entry:

Eph 2:12 and that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world.

Paul was writing to the Ephesians and reminding them that before they received his gospel, they were atheists. That was their state of being before they got involved in religion. That was their state of being the day they were born, and all through their life until they were taught doctrine.

All people are "godless"- atheists- until they get indoctrinated. It is the natural state of being for all of us.

Again, you do not become an atheist. You are born as one, and you become a religionist, if you get indoctrinated. When you leave religion, you are only returning back to your state of atheism, and re-entering the realm of reason.

Atheism has existed long before any religion was ever thought of for the simple reason that before you can believe in any gods, you must first be godless, and being godless is the oldest definition of atheism.

The purest definition of atheism is historical, and it means to be "godless," and in modern terms it is synonymous with the definition of:

3. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Atheists are those who are godless, which necessarily implies a lack of beliefs. And that is the most natural state of being for all people since that is, in fact, the way we were born.

Hence, atheism is a state of being, not a position held.

Smile

I’m not sure we’re saying different things Consider

We are not, really. I'm just further justifying my position on the issue with a little background history.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
20-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Because air, I don't believe in god, that makes me an atheist. I leave the origins of the universe to scientists
20-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Atheism is about beliefs (lack thereof) ...agnosticism is about a place of knowledge. No one knows with certainty if a god or deity or supernatural realm exists or not...but as an atheist, you choose to not believe it. But, nothing 'makes' one either or. it's more like a natural path you come to...a natural conclusion, if you will.

Be true to yourself. Heart
20-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Either you believe or you do not. There might be some ambiguity on how certain you can be on it, but if you do not hold a positive belief in god then you are an atheist by definition.

I do not hold a positive belief in a deity. As such I am an atheist by definition. I could be wrong, I don't know. But I have to make the best possible decision and I do not buy into the idea that a god exists.
26-11-2015, 06:42 PM
(12-01-2014 03:30 AM)Air Wrote:  The question is simple, why atheism and not agnostic in the first place?

What do you know that scientists have studied for decades and still dont know yet YOU know?

Atheism is the believe that something came out of nothing but how does something come from nothing?

Creating a child needs a man and a woman and the sperm creates the child so something came to be so that child was born, obviously nothing can come from ''nothing'', sounds good on paper but in reality makes no logical sense.

Is the possibility of a talking snake impossible? Who knows, i dont know so i wont pretend that i do.
Science has not found any evidence for god either.

Floggings to continue until morale improves.
26-11-2015, 06:47 PM
(12-01-2014 03:30 AM)Air Wrote:  The question is simple, why atheism and not agnostic in the first place?

What do you know that scientists have studied for decades and still dont know yet YOU know?

Atheism is the believe that something came out of nothing but how does something come from nothing?

Creating a child needs a man and a woman and the sperm creates the child so something came to be so that child was born, obviously nothing can come from ''nothing'', sounds good on paper but in reality makes no logical sense.

Is the possibility of a talking snake impossible? Who knows, i dont know so i wont pretend that i do.

Your version of atheism may be that something came from nothing, but it isn't mine!
26-11-2015, 06:57 PM
(01-02-2014 12:05 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  

I've got a question. I never get an answer but I'll ask anyway. Where did god get the materials to create the universe. Did he have a giant warehouse full of elements just waiting to be used for a grand project? Or did he somehow create them from nothing?
Yes, that is the theory one is asked to believe. God created everything out of nothing.
26-11-2015, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2015 10:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-08-2015 04:55 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Atheism is about beliefs (lack thereof) ...agnosticism is about a place of knowledge. No one knows with certainty if a god or deity or supernatural realm exists or not...but as an atheist, you choose to not believe it. But, nothing 'makes' one either or. it's more like a natural path you come to...a natural conclusion, if you will.

Actually we don't "choose" anything. Acceptance of that, for which their is no evidence, is not optional for sane people.

The classical definition of "agnosticism" is that "it is not possible to know", not that we *don't know*.

No one knows for sure if sparkly pink unicorns exist. It is unnecessary to define one's position with respect to incoherent notions, such as the gods and sparkly pink unicorns. The notion of a god does not merit the energy to define a position with respect to it. It was dismissed in the past, and a current position is no longer maintained.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-11-2015, 10:02 PM

What do you know that scientists have studied for decades and still dont know yet YOU know?Atheism is the believe that something came out of nothing but how does something come from nothing?Creating a child needs a man and a woman and the sperm creates the child so something came to be so that child was born, obviously nothing can come from ''nothing'', sounds good on paper but in reality makes no logical sense.

One of the stupider first posts I've ever seen.