What made you an Atheist and not an Agnostic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: What made you an Atheist and not an Agnostic?
(12-01-2014 03:30 AM)Air Wrote:  The question is simple, why atheism and not agnostic in the first place?

You're assuming the two concepts are incompatible, that you're either one or the other. I am an agnostic in terms of what I feel I can prove. I am an atheist in terms of what I believe.

Quote:What do you know that scientists have studied for decades and still dont know yet YOU know?
This doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense. Scientists are increasingly atheistic. Seems the more they learn, the less they believe in God. Among members of the National Academy of Sciences, only 7 percent are theists. But I refer you back to the first question: atheism covers what we believe. Agnosticism covers what we know. Atheists do not claim to KNOW there is no God. They claim to believe it, and have as much right to that belief as a theist who believes there is a God.

Turning the question around: what do theists know that scientists, who have yet to prove the existence of a God, do not?

Quote:Atheism is the believe that something came out of nothing but how does something come from nothing?
Atheism is not the belief that something came from nothing. Mass-energy has always existed and always will. Mass-energy cannot be created or destroyed. All the mass-energy in the universe today was present at the Big Bang. As there was no "time" before the Big Bang, there was never a time when the mass-energy that comprises the universe did not exist. Therefore, there was never "nothing."

Quote:Creating a child needs a man and a woman and the sperm creates the child so something came to be so that child was born, obviously nothing can come from ''nothing'', sounds good on paper but in reality makes no logical sense.
Weeping

Quote:Is the possibility of a talking snake impossible? Who knows, i dont know so i wont pretend that i do.

Snakes have no vocal cords. They cannot talk. So yes, it is impossible for snakes to talk. You're welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
23-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Because of this, it is all about how you are. If you are an agnostic and say nothing on god, it doesn't matter, if you don't believe in a goddess then you are an atheist by definition. You can also be a agnostic muslim. In fact I'm an agnostic atheist.

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] Capoeira status:NO CORD
23-02-2014, 05:08 AM
The something from nothing argument coming from theists is ridiculous.
So where did god come from then?
Hoist by their own petard, I believe is the expression.
Doh!
24-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Why atheist and why not agnostic?

I think it's natural for humans to come up with some kind of supernatural explanation. After during and after WW2, Americans had a military presence of a few different islands. To the natives, the Americans would do pointless tasks like shuffle papers, raise and lower flags, sit in front of noise making boxes, etc. And then, giant flying machines would arrive with fresh clothes, food, repaired vehicles, etc. Because the Americans were doing no sort of task that produced an apparent value, but they seemed to conjure a flying machine with supplies, there must be something mystical to it.

I'm an atheist because every culture around the world has a God. Gods have been created and forgotten repeatedly. Rather than any type of evidence of a one or many Gods, it seems to be that there is more evidence of human behavior creating and desiring God(s).

I'm not sure if I'm saying this the right way, but I believe that God does not exist, but I also believe that what we would interpret as a God, could exist (could just be a super advanced species with technology that appears mystical to us). I'm not as eloquent as Dawkins, but I fit in to #6 on his 7 point scale of believers to non believers.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
25-02-2014, 12:53 AM
I am agnostic and atheist how about that?
25-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Response to question 3: Please don't tell us the God you believe in came from nothing.

I am Atheist because I have no interest in the idea of God. The definition is preposterous, like the being itself, and sounds like a mentally ill ego. If that being sat down in front of me, I would have no recognition of it. To make it god you first have to deify it and then idolize it--creeps me out.

dictionary.com

God [god]
noun
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
3. ( lowercase ) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4. ( often lowercase ) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
5. Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
verb (used with object), god·ded, god·ding. ( lowercase )
9. to regard or treat as a god; deify; idolize.

Origin:
before 900; Middle English, Old English; cognate with Dutch god, German Gott, Old Norse goth, Gothic guth

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
25-02-2014, 10:15 AM
[Image: pigeon2.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop