What made you certain that the Bible is a lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 11:46 PM
What made you certain that the Bible is a lie?
Hey everyone! :-)
I'm Hannah, a 16 year old girl in the heart of the Bible belt.
So basically, I've been a Christian since I was 6, grown up in a largely Christain family, have gone to the same church for 10 years, and gone to Christian summer camp for 4 years, etc. In the past few weeks, I took it upon myself to scrutinize my faith, and have come to the conclusion that I'm now an Agnostic Atheist. Obviously, if I confirm this, my road ahead will not be easy.
So I need advice.
1. Former Christians, what made you sure that the Bible is untrue?
2. How did you deal with your new life as an atheist/agnostic???
Thanks Smile I really need this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheToughTruth's post
25-12-2012, 11:48 PM
RE: What made you certain that the Bible is a lie?
1.The first chapter of the book of Genesis.
2. Pretty much the same, but with way more fun.

Welcome to the forum! Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
25-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Welcome aboard TTT.

CTS, got it right. She knows.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I think it's when you have doubt over any one part of the Bible it can feed doubt about the rest.

Being in the Bible Belt certainly adds some issues to being open about those doubts. Some will think you need MORE religion, some will want to pray for you, some will say it's the work of the devil...look around and listen to the people you come in contact. Many Christian groups don't like, and are suspicious of, other Christian groups...so of course a (gasp) non-believer is even worse in their eyes.

Start reading and checking out videos. There is a whole list on this forum of books, videos, documentaries...all kinds of resources. (Someone much more savvy than I will surely supply you with the exact location/link).

And welcome.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-12-2012, 12:14 AM
(25-12-2012 11:46 PM)TheToughTruth Wrote:  Hey everyone! :-)
I'm Hannah, a 16 year old girl in the heart of the Bible belt.
So basically, I've been a Christian since I was 6, grown up in a largely Christain family, have gone to the same church for 10 years, and gone to Christian summer camp for 4 years, etc. In the past few weeks, I took it upon myself to scrutinize my faith, and have come to the conclusion that I'm now an Agnostic Atheist. Obviously, if I confirm this, my road ahead will not be easy.
So I need advice.
1. Former Christians, what made you sure that the Bible is untrue?
2. How did you deal with your new life as an atheist/agnostic???
Thanks Smile I really need this.

For younger types and those who are perhaps curious about some interesting topics of the bible, I highly recommend:
Biblical Nonsense - A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians.

There are a lot of interesting scenarios and things that are picked to pieces and even talked about in great detail as to why they couldn't or did not happen (take the flood for example).

To answer #1... there is a lot that has made the bible "untrue" for me. For one, I have issues with genesis because a literal interpretation seems garbage to me and contradicts everything we understand about reality (the universe, cosmology, light itself, etc). The other issue is that a LOT of religions at the time used the same types of biblical creation stories.

Keep in mind that during this time, science in a lot of ways was vastly not understood, insanely primitive and mankind still thought the earth was flat and to boot also thought that stars in the sky were pinpricks in the sky or firmament.

If one makes a "non literal" interpretation, it seems to me a person is trying to "interpret things to fit" since many times things are taken out of context, or people say... "Oh well they must have meant this because we know this today so they must have meant that." An example of this is again the "light problem" for me. I'm not sure how familiar with cosmology you are, however, as of this year, the hubble deep field was finished. It took pictures of galaxies in their infancy, literally millions of years after the big bang. It was done by looking deep into a part of the universe where we could see galaxies way way out there. If you do a really basic thing here, we use the speed of light... say a galaxy is 2.5 million light years away, it means it took about 2.5 million years (and then some) to get here.

So if we look at hubble deep field and how old these galaxies are, they are millions of years after the big bang. In the days when the bible was written no one had any idea planets even revolved around the sun, they did not understand gravity, they didn't have a damn clue what stars even were. So for people to try and make genesis fit to "how things just work out" in any explanation of today's science makes me say, "Bullshit." It's wishful thinking at it's best.

We also know the planets are created in extremely violent events (that goes for any solar system) due to objects colloding, gas and elements forming together and the leftovers ended up being planets. Creation myths are largely laughed at by any peer reviewed science because tall tales, myths and things that cannot be confirmed other than by wishful thinking and elaborating on stuff we have nothing more than hearsay from authors who remain anonymous.

To put it another way: If someone has a way of explaining something that allows me to understand the universe. Something observable, understandable, repeatable, demonstrable (We call that the scientific method); It would be vastly dishonest and silly of me to then go off of something I cannot confirm, cannot show to be demonstrable, to not be understandable, to not be observable. In other words, I would need to throw away my logical thinking and skeptical way of looking at things to adopt a lot of bullcrap.

In the court of law we have a system that allows us to determine whether or not an eye witness is a credible witness to something. If the person cannot be correctly placed there as a witness (confirmed or as no way to confirm), has personal bias or gain in the matter or knowingly misrepresents data they can be disqualified. Now here's the fun part, in the court of law a witness can be make or bust in a case. They are responsible for an eye witness account for something, something crucial.

Many times people get thrown out as a credible witness if it's found they have a bias, or if they cannot be placed at the scene, or if the witness is strictly hearsay.

So if we will toss people out of the court of law for something as simple as a bias, or personal gain, or even hearsay evidence... WHY would a person base their ENTIRE LIFE on a book that is full of hearsay accounts, anonymous authors, biased accounts and data that cannot be accounted for nor confirmed. In other words, random people, no credibility, hearsay evidence and tons of bias to gain from it.

Anyway, so that's the book of Genesis... I'm sure other members could add to more books (after all, there are an awful lot of them... with plenty of fun things to talk about).

Onto #2.

I'm a skeptic. I am a huge fan of Occams Razor.. I care more about what is true in my life now than what simply looks or sounds good to me. I care about being a good person because I want to be, not because of some ultimate reward or punishment. I'm skeptical and cautious about things, I bother to look into things, I bother to take a second look and I enjoy being open minded.

For the first time in my life I am genuinely happy, I love it. I appreciate life for what it is, my mortality, the mortality of others and I would say that I deal very cautiously with people anymore since I don't blindly just trust people so much anymore.
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
26-12-2012, 01:45 AM
I can't answer your first question fully. I've read the bible and laughed at it's nonsense, but I was never a Christian, never religious at all. So it's like reading Harry Potter for me, except Harry Potter has better writing and way way way way way fewer intrinsic flaws and contradictions.

For fun, google Skeptics Annotated Bible and you'll get the full bible online, in its entirety, along with a bunch of skeptical comments on many (most?) of the verses. It's also searchable, and it has categories. One of the most interesting, in light of your thread here, is "absurdities". This takes you to a page of well over two thousand absurdities in the bible. Some are pretty lame, others are outright laughable. For example, grabbing one nearly at random from somewhere down by the bottom of the list, absurdity number 2,057 says "Hebrews 6:13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself" - so, God swears by himself to himself?

In any case, the site is interesting and presents a very skeptical look at the bible, as the name implies.

But even if I can't answer your first question fully, I did want to welcome you to the forum. So welcome!

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-12-2012, 02:11 AM
... Just as an aside, be careful about telling your parents etc if you're not certain how they'll react. Some of the teens on this very forum can tell you horror stories...

I'm impressed how short a time it's taken you to decide that the Bible's not trustworthy. It took me a lot longer because I was maybe more deeply programmed. I think you somehow are lucky that you seem to have dodged *indoctrination*, which is the major tool for how people manage to keep kids faithful. There's all kinds of ideas that seem plausible which pastors etc use, sometimes with skill, other times not, to make people doubt if they are right that Christianity is wrong. Somehow you have managed to just *read* the bible, without all of that extra baggage attached, and of course you came to the obvious conclusion that it makes no sense Smile

The Bible makes a bunch of specific claims. The one which always struck me as odd is how in the Old Testament God makes a series of 'eternal' laws about sacrifices and blood and... yeesh a *lot* of stuff, ownership of property and so on, and then suddenly in the New Testament it's not so very eternal any more, new plan, screw blood sacrifices etc.

A Christian pastor - any Christian pastor, not just the good ones, could weasel his way around that objection without even blinking. It's the fact that after that objection there's another similar one, and then another, and then another. And if you think about it in any great detail, you end up building this very shaky castle of beliefs all supporting each other, whose *only* reason for being there is the insistence on the existence of one Jehovah Esq, and the insistence that this extremely dodgy book of unknown provenance describes this guy's plan for the world.

For your second question - not much changed for me. I was able, with relief, to stop going to church and stop pretending to pray. Other than that, still same guy. Oh... few relationships went sour.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-12-2012, 06:32 AM
I read the entire bible when I was 10. It seemed like a fairy tale to me.

Talking snakes, apples that make you aware that you are naked and have sex (which is evil), Adam and Eve being the only people in the world having sons who marry women that materialize from where?

Then all the evil stuff god tells people to do, murder the inhabitants of entire cities and "taking the women", genocide. Then that isn't enough and he has to kill everyone except for Noah and start over...

I mean, come on, this is a being you want to worship? This is not a benevolent, loving being, this is pure evil. Especially since he supposedly is omniscient and knows how it all turns out ahead of time. So he's just playing with people's lives like a video game.

So I put the bible away when I put my other fairy tale books away.

Before I read the whole bible, I was fervently catholic. After, I just quit going to church and that was that. I was lucky, although I didn't know it for many decades, my parents were closet atheists.

The younger you are when you realize that you are looking at a bunch of fairy tales, the easier it is to live with yourself, but the harder it can be dealing with friends and relatives. I lucked out, many are not that lucky.

I agree, have a look at the Skeptics Annotated Bible. It'll answer most of your bible questions.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Here ya go:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

Bible's not a lie so much as manipulated by liars.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Welcome, Hannah.

We've got a lot of teens running around here, so I think you'll fit right in.

[Image: vjp09.gif]